Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions above $49.99 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM).

There is no workaround.
Print Wikipost

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by spgbus
In my experience of the new system yesterday, the Cancel button stays on the screen forever...
I can definitely confirm even with the colored systems the cancel/change payment screen is REALLY fast. I have to have the pen ready to smack it as soon as I see it, and even then it doesn't register/doesn't register quickly some of the time. It is a serious nuisance and you have to have cashiers who like you to get away with it. Luckily the ones in SoCal have been very friendly to me...this would go over horribly I'm sure with my old Walmarts out in the NYC metro area.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
This forum is going to be unbearable starting Sunday with all these issues.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
This forum is going to be unbearable starting Sunday with all these issues.
already unbearable since the CVS collapse
Old May 30, 2014, 12:14 pm

I will update my blog tomorrow with this "new" info and still collect money from my links
Old May 30, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I am confused as to why people still have room on their BB on the 30th of the month.
BB is my backup if I run into problems buying MOs. As long as I can avoid it, I will hold out feeding the birds until the end of the month.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
BB is my backup if I run into problems buying MOs. As long as I can avoid it, I will hold out feeding the birds until the end of the month.
I agree!
Old May 30, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by rinkrat
I can confirm that Walmart in both MA and NH (and I tried them both on 5/29) would not load pin-enabled OneVanilla Visa GCs onto Bluebird. There is a register hard stop, and both stores cited a new policy due to alleged “money laundering”, with people loading GCs to BB only to use BB to extract cash. I had previously loaded my BB card this way several times at the MA Walmart to pay bills, so this method of loading BB might now be highly at risk of succeeding. Any suggestions, such as hitting a cancel button at the start of the transaction to enable the pin option and ovoid being processed as credit?
It really annoys me when cashiers don't know what money laundering really is. It is not using a credit card to buy a gift card to load BB and use the money for whatever. They fail to realize the credit card now has debt which must be paid off. Money laundering is also NOT using cash to buy a gift card to load to BB to pay a bill or whatever. Money laundering is the "cleaning" of illegally obtained money from illegal activities by putting into systems so that it can appear as normal income and even get taxed.

New Ms'ers, never think for one moment that what you're doing is wrong, unethical or in anyway bad. It is part of incentive programs created by credit card issuers to entice applications, transactions and usage. Any and all benefits you might receive are not profit or income. They are cash back/points incentives to get you do to more business with a company and you market that company everytime you flash the card, talk about it, travel with it and more. You benefit the company and never forget that. Some of the greatest free travelers are also bloggers who promote brands. Just your participation on this site benefits these brands. Look into who has purchased or invested in this site and other forums. I'm amused when a ms'er 'netting' a few thousand a month ms'ing thinks he's got one over on the banks.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:52 pm

I go to the machines that you can do it yourself. Saves me from having to talk to anyone.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Is this affecting all kiosks too? I haven't loaded anything since the 28th, but that worked fine without any issues. I don't buy the Vanilla GCs, I typically buy some other kind of Visa GC and it always has worked.

Is the hitting cancel method the workaround for the kiosks?
Old May 30, 2014, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by edh101985
I go to the machines that you can do it yourself. Saves me from having to talk to anyone.
That is great when you can find a working machine, I went to three Walmarts yesterday and every one the machine was down or locked up. That is not unusual sadly.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
That is great when you can find a working machine, I went to three Walmarts yesterday and every one the machine was down or locked up. That is not unusual sadly.
So the kiosks are still working with GCs? I've never used a cashier. My local WM has a working kiosk.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by zorbachs
So the kiosks are still working with GCs? I've never used a cashier. My local WM has a working kiosk.
We don't know without data points. Try and report back. The upside is that you can play with a kiosk for a while without raising the ire of employees.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by zorbachs
I haven't read any reports today that lead me to believe we cannot continue using PIN enabled debit cards to load BB/Serve at the kiosk (PIN enabled debit cards include VGCs). I currently surmise this Wally issue only involves the registers, not the kiosk which is a separate system entirely. I plan on loading this Sunday as usual for the first of the month. I finished loading May's max quota per account earlier this month.

Last edited by Churnman; May 30, 2014 at 1:45 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
I haven't read any reports today that lead me to believe we cannot continue using PIN enabled debit cards to load BB/Serve at the kiosk (PIN enabled debit cards include VGCs). I currently surmise this Wally issue only involves the registers, not the kiosk which is a separate system entirely. I plan on loading this Sunday as usual for the first of the month.
If it works today, maybe I need to go ahead and get a $500 GC before WM cuts this source off too. I need to load $1900 or so to meet my signup bonus at the very least.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Slightly OT for this thread, but I loaded one Gobank card at the kiosk with OV and a VGC. No problems. I loaded the other Gobank at the register and had to use the workaround.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.