Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions above $49.99 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM).

There is no workaround.
Print Wikipost

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nishant1
I ran into issue with Vanilla gift card loading to Bluebird at Walmart. I have two cards each left with $1000 for this month.

When I asked for debit load with pin. I confirmed $500 amount and swiped VGC and it staight away went to credit. No PIN option.

I tried at same Walmart with different counters. No go.

I tried at Money center also which the rep informed as attempt to load credit.

As early as two days back, I loaded cards from same batch without any issue.

I came home and cleared my PIN even though I never needed to use it.
I will try again at different place and see whether it works
AAAHHH!!! I told newuser0 that THIS was where his thread/issue should have lived. This has come up on this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ing-ov-wm.html

The way to fix it is - what newuser0 and other recommended after the new system roll, which is to hit cancel and then hit debit. Gets to be a big pain - much like what is done today for MC - read there - or better MOD move that thread here - like I already asked!!!
Old May 29, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS
nothing to say ...
Old May 29, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by raccah
AAAHHH!!! I told newuser0 that THIS was where his thread/issue should have lived. This has come up on this thread:

The way to fix it is - what newuser0 and other recommended after the new system roll, which is to hit cancel and then hit debit. Gets to be a big pain - much like what is done today for MC - read there - or better MOD move that thread here - like I already asked!!!
Tried it just now, still no dice. I tried it last week to after reading what had happened with other people, was hoping to have better luck today. Once I hit cancel the only button that has debit on it reads debit/ATM. There is no separate button just saying debit.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by JRV62
Tried it just now, still no dice. I tried it last week to after reading what had happened with other people, was hoping to have better luck today. Once I hit cancel the only button that has debit on it reads debit/ATM. There is no separate button just saying debit.
@:-)@:-)@:-)@:-)
Old May 29, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Originally Posted by JRV62
Tonight was the first time I ever had a problem loading my BB with any Visa gift/debit card. In my case, the problem was with a OV Visa. On the first attempt, the MoneyCenter employee told me it failed because it was credit. I told him it was debit and asked him if we could try again, and after hitting "cancel" on the screen, I got the "debit/ATM" button (I think there were five buttons on the screen and this one was on the left). I also got a question about whether I wanted cash back (responded "No") and was able to load the OV to my BB.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:31 pm

Man, no offense, but some of you guys need to open your eyes. Look at the payment terminal and you will see a change payment method button. If you press it, believe or not, you can switch to debit.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:59 pm

Data point. Bought a metabank vgc at Safeway. Drove to Walmart. Loaded it, pressing cancel when cancel showed up. My bb is now loaded. Went to the clerk, there was no machine.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by raccah

Here's the wiki from the link:

Per many reports as of 5/29/2014 OV cards (and likely Vanilla Visa gift cards) started recognized as credit cards on initial swipe for MO or BP. (Likely not all WMs are affected yet)

by user spgbus:

The workaround is to:
1. Swipe OV
2. Cancel
3. ATM/Debit
4. No Cash Back
5. Enter the PIN
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen
7. Enter $500
8. Authorized

Some other types of prepaid debit cards don't cause the issue.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Here's the wiki from the link:

Per many reports as of 5/29/2014 OV cards (and likely Vanilla Visa gift cards) started recognized as credit cards on initial swipe for MO or BP. (Likely not all WMs are affected yet)

by user spgbus:

The workaround is to:
1. Swipe OV
2. Cancel
3. ATM/Debit
4. No Cash Back
5. Enter the PIN
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen
7. Enter $500
8. Authorized

Some other types of prepaid debit cards don't cause the issue.
Thanks, had every step except having the cashier hitting the debit button, will try again tomorrow.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:44 am

Were your cards Vanilla VGCs or OVs?

Originally Posted by Nishant1
I ran into issue with Vanilla gift card loading to Bluebird at Walmart. I have two cards each left with $1000 for this month.

When I asked for debit load with pin. I confirmed $500 amount and swiped VGC and it staight away went to credit. No PIN option.

I tried at same Walmart with different counters. No go.

I tried at Money center also which the rep informed as attempt to load credit.

As early as two days back, I loaded cards from same batch without any issue.

I came home and cleared my PIN even though I never needed to use it.
I will try again at different place and see whether it works
Old May 30, 2014, 5:27 am

is this issue the same loading kate? or does she still work?
Old May 30, 2014, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by bar19900
is this issue the same loading kate? or does she still work?
Kate did not work for VGC for me yesterday (was working as of earlier this past week).
Old May 30, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Kate worked fine for me today in NE Ohio. (North Olmsted)
Old May 30, 2014, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by dartagnan
Kate worked fine for me today in NE Ohio. (North Olmsted)
OV's? I won't get to try this until sunday 6/1
Old May 30, 2014, 8:22 am

Here in NJ I got an “Incorrect PIN” message when trying to loading a MetaBank Visa GC to a GoBank account this morning. This is the same error I usually get when I mistakenly go over the monthly limit on BB/Serve. The GoBank account is hard to figure out though. I’ve never been able to really figure out what – if any – the monthly limit is, and/or if such a limit is for 30-day rolling or a calendar month. Either way, through yesterday I’ve loaded $8,700 onto this particular GoBank account in the month of May. (On my other GoBank, which I didn’t try today, I’ve loaded $8,000 during May.)

For data point this was at a register, with the “newer” keypad that features color display.

Last edited by RJP3; May 30, 2014 at 8:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.