Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a-35.html#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by barschools
Fidelity Amex doesn't count against the 4 Amex slots because its issued by BOA.
I see that they offer 2 cards and one is a Visa, the other Amex. I assumed the Visa was BoA but not the other one. Do you hold one, are you certain?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
I see that they offer 2 cards and one is a Visa, the other Amex. I assumed the Visa was BoA but not the other one. Do you hold one, are you certain?
Here is a link to the Amex Fido app...you can see in the Terms that it is issued by BofA https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCa...ry?sc=VACAUL#b.

I have both the Visa and Amex and am positive that they are both issued by FIA card services, which is a subsidiary of BofA.

I will also add that I have 4 AMEX issued CC's, on top of a few other amex co-branded credit cards; co-branded cards WILL NOT take a slot.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I will also add that I have 4 AMEX issued CC's, on top of a few other amex co-branded credit cards; co-branded cards WILL NOT take a slot.
Oh well, you are right. Perhaps I will switch spouse from RB to Serve then. Thanks for correction.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I closed my RB and signed up for BB, but my account is under review... argggh... any idea how long it takes? It said I was suppose to receive an email, but haven't.

I used the same email, but different phone number
They emailed me about it the next day. Despite what the email implies about needing 2 separate documents their "secure upload" facility only prompts for one filename. So I took a photo of my DL atop the first page of bill with name and address showing. Both documents could be seen clearly in the one photo. Then I uploaded it and got a reply of approval in about 4 hours.

Everyone has a different method to ease transfer. MINE is that I always change the email and phone of the account I'm about to close. I change it to an email I rarely use, and my office number. Then I close it. This frees up my favorite email and phone number. I wait an hour and then register my new temporary card. This has worked for me BB->Serve, and later Serve->Redbird, and just worked a few days ago for Redbird->BB. Full circle!

I'm back to BB because it's better recognized and respected at WM. BB added ability to sync Amex Offers, and Serve lost ability to online load from my Chase card, so there's no real advantage to me for Serve. I realize some people online load the Fidelity Amex but I'd rather not lose 1 of my 4 Amex CC slots, there are lots of more attractive Amex cards than Fidelity.
I finally received the email yesterday, sent the document, and got the approval for BB!

The first RB, I converted, I used the same email and phone number.

fwiw, I had multiple RBs with the same phone number, not sure if that's what caused the review.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Any evidence yet showing whether or not Kate is considered a register by the new rule? I've maxed out Oct loads on the cards I have although I do have a new BB coming for a family member that I should be able to test before the end of the month. I'll report back if others don't beat me to it.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:40 am

see below.

I got a debit not approved, but when I tried with another BB, it accepted it.

I will try loading 4vgcs on 1 card today.

I wonder if they got rid of the velocity limit....

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Any evidence yet showing whether or not Kate is considered a register by the new rule? I've maxed out Oct loads on the cards I have although I do have a new BB coming for a family member that I should be able to test before the end of the month. I'll report back if others don't beat me to it.
Originally Posted by lumangoy
is this a recent change? this also affects kate?

no wonder I wasn't able to load my 4th vgc to the same card (I waited after 12 minutes), but was able to do so on a different card.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
Yes I hold one and I'm certain. The Fidelity Amex is managed through FIA card services. It doesn't show up at all when I log into my Amex accounts. I also hold the SPG and Blue Cash Preferred.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
I wonder if the new $1999.99 per day rule will apply to Serve as well as Bluebird. Anyone know?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by barschools
I wonder if the new $1999.99 per day rule will apply to Serve as well as Bluebird. Anyone know?
I don't expect much feedback on this until people start getting their BBs/Serves due to converting from RB. Or shortly after the start of the new month.

The odd thing is that the BB Limits still state $2500 daily; the asterisk mentions $1999.99/yr loaded at registers. I'm wondering if that's a limit for a single register or limit for going to multiple WMs and doing register loads. ie Load only $1999.99 at a Podunkville WM register vs load a total of $1999.99 at Podunkville and TrailerTrshCity WM registers.
If their intention is to limit loads at a single register in rapid succession, it's not a problem.

It may just be a velocity limit on WM registers, same as Kate's velocity limit.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:03 pm

Does anyone know how long it takes BB to process a cash transfer to an individual? Is it the same 2 business days as an EFT bill pay to a business?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by roneyc
Does anyone know how long it takes BB to process a cash transfer to an individual? Is it the same 2 business days as an EFT bill pay to a business?
if you mean using the send money feature, I've used BB to send money to Serve and vice versa, and transfer was immediate.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:25 pm

If it's immediate, then I'm not quite as happy as when I thought it took 48 hours. I wrote in a couple of days ago about SO's account being hacked and emptied by a "sent money" transaction to an individual.

We noticed it and called within just a few hours. Yesterday, funds were re-deposited to account and transaction is listed as "Received Money from J**** D****. So I was hoping there was a delay in the scumbag getting the funds and AmEx had intercepted. Oh well, at least we're made whole.....
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Cancelled my RB and used an old Temporary BB pack I had with $5 bucks in it to sign in and start loading. I have been using it to clear my remanent small balances from VGCs I bought and cashed in for MOs (I usually split tender on $970 to $990 Even MO with 2 VGCs) and the second GC is left with a balance. What struck me is that it says in the wiki that you are able to load the temp with up to $1,500, but in the FAQs for BB it says:

With the Temporary Card, you may:
Add between $1-$500 dollars

So, does anyone know if I can use Kate to put up to $1,500 or if I will be limited to $500 until the permanent card arrives? If not, guess I'll have to try and see tomorrow.

And, considering everyone left RB, I am guessing Amex will have a lot of work issuing so many permanent Serve and BB cards this week, so it might take more than the 7-10 business days to get home.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:44 pm

RIP BB (and Serve)

With all the rats abandoning the sinking RB ship, I predict BB (and Serve) to be dead before the end of the year.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:44 pm

I'm not getting it. Why are so many people switching from RB to BB? Isn't there a same difficulty loading BB or serve in WM with VGC if you go through cash register or money center?

Wiki says to handover the bank debit card if asked. In money center, it is difficult to switch cards because the CSR can see it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.