Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a-35.html#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
If you have to do all of that with a MC GC, why not just get a Visa one? Are there parts of the country where Visas are not available, or is there some other compelling reason to pick MC instead ?
Just an example, a grocery store may run a promotion only for MCGC to receive 2x or 4x points towards free gasoline fill ups (i.e. Giant or S&S), so you load up on MCGCs! Otherwise, you are right, VGC tend to be easier to handle as they say "It's Everywhere You Want to Be".

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lumangoy
I closed my RB and signed up for BB, but my account is under review... argggh... any idea how long it takes? It said I was suppose to receive an email, but haven't.

I used the same email, but different phone number
They emailed me about it the next day. Despite what the email implies about needing 2 separate documents their "secure upload" facility only prompts for one filename. So I took a photo of my DL atop the first page of bill with name and address showing. Both documents could be seen clearly in the one photo. Then I uploaded it and got a reply of approval in about 4 hours.

Everyone has a different method to ease transfer. MINE is that I always change the email and phone of the account I'm about to close. I change it to an email I rarely use, and my office number. Then I close it. This frees up my favorite email and phone number. I wait an hour and then register my new temporary card. This has worked for me BB->Serve, and later Serve->Redbird, and just worked a few days ago for Redbird->BB. Full circle!

I'm back to BB because it's better recognized and respected at WM. BB added ability to sync Amex Offers, and Serve lost ability to online load from my Chase card, so there's no real advantage to me for Serve. I realize some people online load the Fidelity Amex but I'd rather not lose 1 of my 4 Amex CC slots, there are lots of more attractive Amex cards than Fidelity.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Oct 15, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Everyone has a different method to ease transfer. MINE is that I always change the email and phone of the account I'm about to close. I change it to an email I rarely use, and my office number. Then I close it. This frees up my favorite email and phone number. I wait an hour and then register my new temporary card. This has worked for me BB->Serve, and later Serve->Redbird, and just worked a few days ago for Redbird->BB. Full circle!
I thought the other posts said you have to use the same email and phone number on the RB account when changing to BB? You seem to be saying to use a different one?

Also, does anyone know if the address matters? Does it need to be the same address as used with RB. And does it have to be the address registered at a CB, or can you use a different address, like a work address, etc. ?
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
They emailed me about it the next day. Despite what the email implies about needing 2 separate documents their "secure upload" facility only prompts for one filename......
It is confusing, but you can upload docs one at a time. That's how I ended up doing it; three pictures (one document, plus one each for front/back of DL).
Old Oct 16, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: All of them
Mod please update Wiki, according to BB FAQ it's now $1999.99 daily load limit at WM
Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I thought the other posts said you have to use the same email and phone number on the RB account when changing to BB? You seem to be saying to use a different one?

Also, does anyone know if the address matters? Does it need to be the same address as used with RB. And does it have to be the address registered at a CB, or can you use a different address, like a work address, etc. ?
I have switched Amex prepaid products twice with my method, and it has always worked smoothly for me. To my way of thinking, it is best to "free up" your preferred email address and phone, before you are going to use it for a new product. I don't just add a less-used email and switch to it as a primary login, I also delete my favorite email address from it's list as a secondary. Ditto with phone numbers.

And I wait about an hour before registering my new temporary card, just because I work in IT and I know that sometimes database batch processing can take a bit for changes to propagate.

They key items are the email and phone, that is what Amex seems to use as it's "index" or key values in the database. The other stuff like physical address etc. don't create conflicts so don't worry about them.

If the other method works also, great. But I am reporting that this one does work too. I believe a lot of problems for people switching products, are not actually about email/phone data but about financial transactions still unfinished, and the account is not "settled" yet. Requesting to cancel an account, only gives you website closure. Actual closure of the account from the bank standpoint, may take some more time. If you wrote some last-minute billpay checks that had to be mailed, expect a longer wait.

Good luck!
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Mod please update Wiki, according to BB FAQ it's now $1999.99 daily load limit at WM
I changed it to read 'Up to $1999.99/day at WM registers,' as per the BB webpage.

You should have the ability to change the Wiki.

Nice catch; I found it buried as a double asterisk item in the Fees and Limits section of BB's webpage.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I changed it to read 'Up to $1999.99/day at WM registers,' as per the BB webpage.

You should have the ability to change the Wiki.

Nice catch; I found it buried as a double asterisk item in the Fees and Limits section of BB's webpage.
is this a recent change? this also affects kate?

no wonder I wasn't able to load my 4th vgc to the same card (I waited after 12 minutes), but was able to do so on a different card.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

no wonder I wasn't able to load my 4th vgc to the same card (I waited after 12 minutes), but was able to do so on a different card.
It's either very recent ... I loaded $2500 on WM/Neighborhood Market registers on 1 Oct. I loaded $2500 on Kate on 2 Oct ... or it isn't enforced.

It's funny that it's the exact same figure - $1999.99 - as Kate's 10 minute velocity limit.

The Limits section doesn't mention Kate, unless it's also considered a Walmart 'register'.

Here's a copy/paste from the FAQ Limits section:
Cash (includes Swipe Reload) $2,500 per day**
. . . $5,000 per month

**Up to $1,999.99 per day at Walmart registers.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Oct 16, 2015 at 1:19 pm
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:13 pm

It came up because in the Serve thread someone mentioned a cashier quoting a new policy of supposedly limiting to $1500 per day. I figured a change like that would be official in the FAQ but turns out it's $1999.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AOPA
was able to load 2k on 10/15.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:19 pm

It came up because in the Serve thread someone mentioned a cashier quoting a new policy of supposedly limiting to $1500 per day. I figured a change like that would be official in the FAQ but turns out it's $1999.
I think I saw that post, but couldn't remember where and I thought it was referring to Kate's velocity limit!
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:24 pm

I think I saw that post, but couldn't remember where and I thought it was referring to Kate's velocity limit!
It may or may not be fully implemented yet across all registers, but the fact that it's in the FAQ means at some point it will be. Not a huge deal really.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:03 pm

The cashier's experience was probably that 3 x $500 worked and 4 x $500 didn't, so came up with that response.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
They emailed me about it the next day. Despite what the email implies about needing 2 separate documents their "secure upload" facility only prompts for one filename. So I took a photo of my DL atop the first page of bill with name and address showing. Both documents could be seen clearly in the one photo. Then I uploaded it and got a reply of approval in about 4 hours.

I'm back to BB because it's better recognized and respected at WM. BB added ability to sync Amex Offers, and Serve lost ability to online load from my Chase card, so there's no real advantage to me for Serve. I realize some people online load the Fidelity Amex but I'd rather not lose 1 of my 4 Amex CC slots, there are lots of more attractive Amex cards than Fidelity.
Fidelity Amex doesn't count against the 4 Amex slots because its issued by BOA. Only cards issued by Amex count.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.