Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a-35.html#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:11 am

[dup post]

Last edited by roneyc; Oct 14, 2015 at 10:04 am
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:15 am

Nope, email PW is slightly different, not identical.

Saving grace is that I've never linked bank accounts to BB. I only load manual VGS's and billpay out.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by memphian901
do you have a link to his post where he made the comments on how to switch?
Just closed the RB accounts for myself and DW. They asked for a reason why, and I told them "loss of ability to load with debit cards".

It's quick and easy to change over to BB. Just log in to your RB account, and click on settings, then profile, and at the bottom is a place to click cancel. Did that and it didn't work the first time, as somehow the final cancel didn't take. You will see a large un-happy face with a tear drop when it is done. Went back and redid that, saw the unhappy face, then reregistered for BB with no problems.

When I tried to do the same thing for myself, BB refused to register, even though the RB account was closed, due to "phone number already registered". So I changed the last number and it went thru just fine. I don't know if that is a real in service number, but it worked, and I doubt they are going to call it anyway. Message says 7 to 10 business days to get our cards. Hope the deluge of apps doesn't slow that down, as that would be just in time to do our October BB loads.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:02 pm

Any KATEs in Tucson?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:31 pm

Tender not allowed

Anyone else having issues loading BB with mastercards? Just got the Tender not allowed screen
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by SDBK
Anyone else having issues loading BB with mastercards? Just got the Tender not allowed screen
Mastercard GC, especially the US Bank issued, tend to default to credit. You have to hit the yellow button on the screen which says change payment type or something like that. Then change the payment to debit of course.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
Mastercard GC, especially the US Bank issued, tend to default to credit. You have to hit the yellow button on the screen which says change payment type or something like that. Then change the payment to debit of course.
I've always known about that issue and I don't see the change payment button pop up
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
I think it's red.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I think it's red.
No, red is cancel, change payment is yellow and this blinks just one or two seconds soon as VGC is swiped so we have to be very quick in pressing it. Press cancel button if ever signature screen for credit comes up so you can re-swipe your VGC.

sdbk, if you're not quick enough pressing it, just re-swipe your VGC and this time make sure to press the yellow change payment button quickly. if you succeed, screen with several options come up, you press the DEBITbutton. Sometimes the cashback screen comes up before this or after this, you press NO CASBACK. PIN screen comes up, enter PIN. Pause...APPROVED followed by printing of receipt.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
No, red is cancel, change payment is yellow and this blinks just one or two seconds soon as VGC is swiped so we have to be very quick in pressing it. Press cancel button if ever signature screen for credit comes up so you can re-swipe your VGC.

sdbk, if you're not quick enough pressing it, just re-swipe your VGC and this time make sure to press the yellow change payment button quickly. if you succeed, screen with several options come up, you press the DEBITbutton. Sometimes the cashback screen comes up before this or after this, you press NO CASBACK. PIN screen comes up, enter PIN. Pause...APPROVED followed by printing of receipt.
If you have to do all of that with a MC GC, why not just get a Visa one? Are there parts of the country where Visas are not available, or is there some other compelling reason to pick MC instead ?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
If you have to do all of that with a MC GC, why not just get a Visa one? Are there parts of the country where Visas are not available, or is there some other compelling reason to pick MC instead ?
there are some people where MCGCs are the only ones available to them so I understand why they'd buy them. I buy MCGCs occasionally when Staples have a rebate offer for them so I know how to make them work at WM registers.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:34 pm

Didnt see the change payment button so I just loaded them at kate, all is well.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
why not just get a Visa one?
You know 99% of this game's mechanics is YMMV. Happened to me a lot of times that Visa GC were out of stock so you can either try the next store or take the plentiful Mastercard and go on with your (MS) life.

On another note I loaded my wife's BB today and was wondering what happened to the receipt. Usually the top part is some long text about customer satisfaction blabla and down on the bottom between the bar code, date/time stamp and the QR code used to be the price match note (scan with your mobile device etc). Both the top part and this text on the bottom didn't show on today's receipt. I think the CSR must've been wondering why I made such a confused face when he gave me the receipt. It was so unusual short. Didn't even have to fold it to get it into my wallet...
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:19 am

I closed my RB and signed up for BB, but my account is under review... argggh... any idea how long it takes? It said I was suppose to receive an email, but haven't.

I used the same email, but different phone number
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by lumangoy
I closed my RB and signed up for BB, but my account is under review... argggh... any idea how long it takes? It said I was suppose to receive an email, but haven't.

I used the same email, but different phone number
You'll have to send in (email or fax) copies of a couple of docs to verify your identity. Don't try to redact anything. I tried that for my son and they wouldn't approve the acct. be proactive and call, otherwise you'll be waiting until Christmas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.