Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a-35.html#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by JATR4
Understand. Great deal. Not aware of some of the MS methods used by some/many.

But the OP wasn't doing what you did. He was going to pay the fee and hope it would work as a debit. The $5.38 fee for a $100 card is way too high when there are cheaper methods.

I just buy a $500 Sunrise card ($4.94 fee) at WM and load it to Serve before leaving the store.
i would prefer sunrise as well, but its not available online. what are the other alternatives available online?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by troyhouse
i would prefer sunrise as well, but its not available online. what are the other alternatives available online?
I don't buy anything online other than Amex CC loads to Serve. My purchases are limited to Sunrise at WM and WM NM, Reloadits at FL and PPMC at CVS.

Maybe someone else can help you with online purchases.

Try this link: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...gift-cards-qa/
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JATR4
You may be right but the T&Cs say:

"Although it states "debit" on the front of the Gift Card, no PIN will be provided with the Gift Card, and therefore your purchase will be declined if you push "debit."
I ordered 6 of these on the recent Walmart AMEX offer and can verify all 6 were loaded to RC using a random 4 digits.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by 2B or back in coach
I ordered 6 of these on the recent Walmart AMEX offer and can verify all 6 were loaded to RC using a random 4 digits.
Sounds like it may be worth a try if there is a way to offset the high fee. The Amex offer ended 7/31 didn't it? That offer would have been attractive even if the cards could only be used as CCs.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Please read the wiki before posting in this thread.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:01 am

can someone please list the steps I need to help give a CSR if they are loading multiple cards. A lot of them don't understand when I tell them that I would like to split payments on two cards with $500 each, and had only one successful attempt, I am having to do two transactions which I don't mind, but could be faster and want to learn. Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by CRNA
can someone please list the steps I need to help give a CSR if they are loading multiple cards. A lot of them don't understand when I tell them that I would like to split payments on two cards with $500 each, and had only one successful attempt, I am having to do two transactions which I don't mind, but could be faster and want to learn. Thanks
I just say "split tender" and they then ask how much per transaction. I've only had 1 CSR muck it up.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by DVDBob
I just say "split tender" and they then ask how much per transaction. I've only had 1 CSR muck it up.
ok great, I can try that out today
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:44 am

Datapoint, maybe: I have a chase sapphire preferred and for the first time I tried to pay it off with Bluebird, it showed up as having been paid on the Chase end but it was never deducted from the Bluebird end, and 4 days later it showed up as a returned payment on the Chase end. I looked at my pay from accounts and bluebird was not showing up as an option....but when i tried to add it, it told me i already had it in there. Anyone know what happened? Does Chase typically refuse BB?

edit: i initiated the payment on Chase end, and i did a bit of digging online and some places have suggested that bb payments won't work with chase unless you initiate from bb end.

Last edited by chickenleg; Aug 22, 2015 at 8:00 am
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by chickenleg
Datapoint, maybe: I have a chase sapphire preferred and for the first time I tried to pay it off with Bluebird, it showed up as having been paid on the Chase end but it was never deducted from the Bluebird end, and 4 days later it showed up as a returned payment on the Chase end. I looked at my pay from accounts and bluebird was not showing up as an option....but when i tried to add it, it told me i already had it in there. Anyone know what happened? Does Chase typically refuse BB?

edit: i initiated the payment on Chase end, and i did a bit of digging online and some places have suggested that bb payments won't work with chase unless you initiate from bb end.
Yes, I've never had an issue and only initiate it from the BB end.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:32 am

i initiated the payment on Chase end, and i did a bit of digging online and some places have suggested that bb payments won't work with chase unless you initiate from bb end.
That's true of anyone, not just Chase.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:40 am

FYI, even though there is a routing number and account number to BB or Serve, you cannot treat it like a checking account where you can do ACH push/pull. Payment will be rejected and you'll be lucky if the CC does not add penalties/fees for denied payments. I made the mistake paying a utility bill via ACH pull a year ago and I'm glad the penalty was waived by the utility company as one time courtesy.

Payments must be initiated from BB/Serve/RB using B/P feature for payments to go through.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:24 pm

Datapoint: tried to load BB at two walmart, both have “debit card is not allowed” but try gobank, it worked with the same vgc. maybe Amex
Issue. May need more DP.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:35 pm

Nevermind

Last edited by lumangoy; Sep 13, 2015 at 6:15 pm
Old Sep 16, 2015, 4:30 pm

I am trying to add Navient to pay back my student loans via BB. When searching for Navient, I am given two options. Navient and Navient Private Loan. I have tried using both using my account number found on the website and adding a 1 found on the payment slip. I have also tried using both the 5 and 9 digits for the zip code. No matter what combination I use for both options, nothing worked.

I have tried searching the threads but nothing came up. Can anyone tell me what you did if you were successful in adding Navient as one of your payees? I am also aware that I can pay directly with a CC but I want to be able to pay extra all on CC instead of through my bank. Thank you in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.