Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a-35.html#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by scocjo
I just tried to cancel my Bluebird account with this link:
https://secure.bluebird.com/Profile/CloseAccount

It kept redirecting me to my transaction history. I transferred the remaining balance to another account already. Did they change the way you cancel bluebird cards? Does anyone have a new link?
same issue. Will probably have to call in. Hopefully it will be instantaneous so I can sign up for Redbird and get my additional $5K in this month
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:03 pm

Setting up Checking account for withdrawls.

I have done Billpay to my credit cards from my GF's BB card, has anyone set up your bank account for withdraws in her (anyone) BB card account that u are using?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
Interesting turn of events... background - I control about 6 BB's for family members. Haven't had an issue for the past 2-3 years, fully loading all every month and draining funds every month (BP to CC or back to me).

In the past week, 2 of the accounts got locked by BB. Need to send in docs on one, second just happened this morning (with no explanation other than "your account has been locked please call us". or something similar

First locked account has $5k in it. Second $0.

I believe I can ATM the 5k out, is that correct even though it's locked? Can someone verify if they know? Yes, I know I can and need to get the D/L of the user to have the account unlocked to use going forward.

Anyone have thoughts as to why this may happen? I'll probably start using incognito more often, and not 'overlap' different bb account loads during the same WM run.....

Did you have any loading issues? For example a denied transaction, bad card etc.? That is the only time my account got locked.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
Interesting turn of events... background - I control about 6 BB's for family members. Haven't had an issue for the past 2-3 years, fully loading all every month and draining funds every month (BP to CC or back to me).

In the past week, 2 of the accounts got locked by BB. Need to send in docs on one, second just happened this morning (with no explanation other than "your account has been locked please call us". or something similar

First locked account has $5k in it. Second $0.

I believe I can ATM the 5k out, is that correct even though it's locked? Can someone verify if they know? Yes, I know I can and need to get the D/L of the user to have the account unlocked to use going forward.

Anyone have thoughts as to why this may happen? I'll probably start using incognito more often, and not 'overlap' different bb account loads during the same WM run.....
When this happened to me, it was a simple password issue. A quick phone call took care of it.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Well, apparently new procedures are in place at my local WM as of today (according to CSR). Walked in and my very reliable Kate had the Lane Closed message. Asked if they could turn the ATM back on and was rebuffed telling me it was closed.

So I started lane hopping to load. Got about 4 loads in (with no issues) and was told I needed to do loads at CS. So I went over there (most of the staff knows me) and was told about all these new procedures. Needed my DL and copied down info (address, DL #, name). They said they didn't even have the right forms yet even though new procedures were rolled out for all loads (not just BB) as well as MOs and returns. They didn't even have an English form, so they used the Spanish form (which I was able to read a good chunk of, but not all of it). Since they didn't have the new form they used the 2k+ form...

CSR seemed annoyed at the new procedures, especially since they didn't even have the right stuff to implement it. Also got the sad news that they are getting rid of Kate because they need to have a record of all loads (which doesn't make sense since there is an electronic record of all loads....) She didn't give me any issues loading my wife's card (was expecting that to be a problem). However, she did enforce an overall limit of 1k across cards (or at least attempted to, but math wasn't her strong suit...). I didn't give her flak about that, but did let them know that the daily load limit for BB is 2500, so the 1k restriction is a little odd.

They claimed the form would be kept in the security office. I reminded them that they are opening themselves up to playing a role in identity theft and keeping in that office doesn't really mean anything since most thefts would be inside jobs anyways....

Edit:
Can't wait until I can get my hands on a RedBird and be done with this...
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
same issue. Will probably have to call in. Hopefully it will be instantaneous so I can sign up for Redbird and get my additional $5K in this month
Had the same issue a couple days ago. Cancellation was instant and immediately after that, RB registration online went through without a hitch.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:11 pm

Has anyone tried billpaying or loading using Meta Bank GC at Walmart today?

Last edited by wpast; Feb 10, 2015 at 10:23 pm
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wpast
Has anyone tried billpaying or loading Meta Bank GC today?
Loaded multiple MB Visas today (variable and fixed) and did billpay from two different accounts today. No issues
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Loaded multiple MB Visas today (variable and fixed) and did billpay from two different accounts today. No issues
Thanks! Tried at CSR today with three different cards and all failed. I checked online, it doesnt show it as being declined too!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Well, apparently new procedures are in place at my local WM as of today (according to CSR). Walked in and my very reliable Kate had the Lane Closed message. Asked if they could turn the ATM back on and was rebuffed telling me it was closed.

So I started lane hopping to load. Got about 4 loads in (with no issues) and was told I needed to do loads at CS. So I went over there (most of the staff knows me) and was told about all these new procedures. Needed my DL and copied down info (address, DL #, name). They said they didn't even have the right forms yet even though new procedures were rolled out for all loads (not just BB) as well as MOs and returns. They didn't even have an English form, so they used the Spanish form (which I was able to read a good chunk of, but not all of it). Since they didn't have the new form they used the 2k+ form...

CSR seemed annoyed at the new procedures, especially since they didn't even have the right stuff to implement it. Also got the sad news that they are getting rid of Kate because they need to have a record of all loads (which doesn't make sense since there is an electronic record of all loads....) She didn't give me any issues loading my wife's card (was expecting that to be a problem). However, she did enforce an overall limit of 1k across cards (or at least attempted to, but math wasn't her strong suit...). I didn't give her flak about that, but did let them know that the daily load limit for BB is 2500, so the 1k restriction is a little odd.

They claimed the form would be kept in the security office. I reminded them that they are opening themselves up to playing a role in identity theft and keeping in that office doesn't really mean anything since most thefts would be inside jobs anyways....

Edit:
Can't wait until I can get my hands on a RedBird and be done with this...
This all seems so fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants. I honestly don't believe half the stuff I hear at WM (of the stuff other WMs tell FTers). These managers and CSRs seem to make it all up as they go along. But if this is the new normal, then I'm converting over.

Question: has anyone had luck in the last few days canceling BB online? I've zeroed out one of my BBs and went to cancel but says must call. The old cancel link isn't working. I'd so rather do it online.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
This all seems so fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants. I honestly don't believe half the stuff I hear at WM (of the stuff other WMs tell FTers). These managers and CSRs seem to make it all up as they go along. But if this is the new normal, then I'm converting over.
Normally I would agree, but I started rethinking when I heard a guy next to me asking when the new procedure started for returns (he was returning something). Given that the CSR mentioned returns in her list of things that changed, it may actually be true.....
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:29 pm

anyone run into a rouge supervisor who insists the load limit is $500?

Kate is not working at this location and I had 1 VGC left to load.

I almost lost it, but didn't want to draw any attention.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:18 am

I recharged BB sat and Sunday, no questions, no issues.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:02 pm

Does anyone know the step-by-step procedures to load $1,000 In one transaction with two $500 cards?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:16 am

I wasn't able to load today, tried using late and the cash register. Gave me a "debit not approved host timeout".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.