Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a-35.html#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:17 pm
Suspended

OK; great. Thanks very much.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:12 am

I looked at the wiki and didn't find the answer...

I converted my last RB to BB.

Does the $1500 load on the temp card count towards the $5k limit for the month?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy

I don't believe so.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

The temp load did NOT count against my 5k monthly.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by CRNA
I don't believe so.
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Thank you both. I will find out in a few days if the same is the case for me.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by CRNA
I don't believe so.
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

I hit my monthly limit today (including the 1.5k before I activated).

I tried loading another $500 and got a debit not approved, which according to the wiki indicates I have reached my monthly limit.

I was able to use the same vgc for an MO purchase.

Did you both load on the temp card before registering?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:12 pm

Looks like I screwed up. I went to the WM and loaded my card with 4X 500 VGCs. Everything was fine but I did not realize I should have stopped at that. I tried loading another one and it just declined the transaction and Manager had to override.

She asked for my information and drivers lic etc, diligently wrote down everything. Has anybody experienced this? I did not want to create a scene so I handed over my Lic.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:25 pm
Suspended

"The manager had to override???" Whatever are you talking about? You also describe 4X$500 which is well within the daily limit.

It makes no sense that you were asked for all of your personal information. I almost can't buy the story.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
"The manager had to override???" Whatever are you talking about? You also describe 4X$500 which is well within the daily limit.

It makes no sense that you were asked for all of your personal information. I almost can't buy the story.
Well I tried loading the 5th one with an employee and at that time the transaction didn't go through. So I had to cancel the transaction and Manager had to override the cancellation. She then started asking me as to how much I loaded etc where she learned that I have already loaded 2K and was trying another 500.

Hope it is clear this time. As I said I screwed up since she already saw me at another checkout line.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by sarang23
Looks like I screwed up. I went to the WM and loaded my card with 4X 500 VGCs. Everything was fine but I did not realize I should have stopped at that. I tried loading another one and it just declined the transaction and Manager had to override.

She asked for my information and drivers lic etc, diligently wrote down everything. Has anybody experienced this? I did not want to create a scene so I handed over my Lic.
I just walk away when I hit the velocity limit by accident.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sarang23
So I had to cancel the transaction and Manager had to override the cancellation.
That makes no sense. When you hit the limit, the transaction is prohibited, and you are done. There is nothing to cancel or override. No need to involve a manager either.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:37 pm

I just walk away when I hit the velocity limit by accident.
Understand. But I could not do so in this instance since she started calling multiple people, as if I am committing some crime. If she bans me from that WM, I will care less since it is from different state and I was on a trip there.
All I want to know is if anybody had any experience with this and are there unexpected consequences?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:38 pm
Suspended

And what state would that be?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
And what state would that be?
OH
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:54 pm
Suspended

I don't think there are consequences. Go back tomorrow and buy something you need anyway and use your Bluebird to do it. If at all possible, go to the same cashier that "busted" you. That is the proof that your BB is working and you get to leave on a good note.

Last edited by BillyBaloney; Dec 28, 2015 at 11:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.