Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 24, 15, 1:36 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: iflyjetz
Wiki Link
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Nov 6, 15, 10:30 am

I saw that the Christmas-themed Visa GCs at WM this year are issued by Green Dot. Are there any problems loading these to BB, like there are with Vanillas?
Old Nov 6, 15, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
I saw that the Christmas-themed Visa GCs at WM this year are issued by Green Dot. Are there any problems loading these to BB, like there are with Vanillas?
I bought the one with penguin design, fee of $4.94 and used it to pay WMcc with no problem.
Old Nov 6, 15, 11:19 am

When loading to BB yesterday at the MC, the system prompted for a drivers license, never seen this before. Anyone else experience this? Maybe amex (or walmart?) is trying to ensure that the name on the BB card matches the person trying to load?
Old Nov 11, 15, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott PLT
I had a check sent through bill pay. Ordered it 10/30. Account note said it would be delivered to P.O. Box 11/4. Person checking box said it wasn't there on the 5th.

How correct is the delivery date?
Old Nov 11, 15, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl View Post
I had a check sent through bill pay. Ordered it 10/30. Account note said it would be delivered to P.O. Box 11/4. Person checking box said it wasn't there on the 5th.

How correct is the delivery date?
most often, if the payee is on their list, my experience is that the delivery date is right on schedule but for those where I manually enter the payee's info, it can take as long as 8 to 10 days. I sent payment to a third party amex CC on Nov 2, said it'll be delivered Nov 5 and it just cleared last night, Nov 10. it can take a while but as long as it clears, fine with me. as a back up, I set up an external bank account to pay the CC should there be a problem with my amex B/P.
Old Nov 12, 15, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1.5MM)
Recently, my local Wal-Marts have been limiting loads at the registers to $500

If you want to load any more than that (or repeat load) you have to go to the customer service counter.

Has anyone ever tried to load at the customer service counter? Do they ask to see the debit card or something like that?
Old Nov 12, 15, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by warreng24 View Post
Has anyone ever tried to load at the customer service counter? Do they ask to see the debit card or something like that?
it varies by location.

one WM near me checks the debit card, so i can't load at the customer service. The other WM about 10 miles away doesn't so I am able to load $2,000!
Old Nov 12, 15, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by warreng24 View Post
Recently, my local Wal-Marts have been limiting loads at the registers to $500

If you want to load any more than that (or repeat load) you have to go to the customer service counter.

Same for me though it's totally inconsistent depending who the cashier is. So annoying bc MC line is LONG always. I'm just going to end up running thru several checkout lanes I guess.
Old Nov 12, 15, 9:41 pm

And don't just limit yourself to the checkouts and CS. I've loaded at the electronics dept, at the online order pickup desk, the auto dept, the garden center and even the photo processing area. Any manned terminal is fair game - so to speak.
Old Nov 12, 15, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Radster View Post
And don't just limit yourself to the checkouts and CS. I've loaded at the electronics dept, at the online order pickup desk, the auto dept, the garden center and even the photo processing area. Any manned terminal is fair game - so to speak.
This is also YMMV. I have tried 3 different Walmarts here in Indiana and the registers are hard coded NOT to load BB or Serve. It says right on the screen "Customer must see Customer Service"
Old Nov 13, 15, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by ajhardee View Post
This is also YMMV. I have tried 3 different Walmarts here in Indiana and the registers are hard coded NOT to load BB or Serve. It says right on the screen "Customer must see Customer Service"
Ouch.

Sounds like somebody thoroughly carpet-bombed that store.
Old Nov 13, 15, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by ajhardee View Post
Originally Posted by Hbax View Post
Ouch.

Sounds like somebody thoroughly carpet-bombed that store.
I've had that issue in ~3 different stores in my area. I don't know if the registers are hard coded, but I can't find anyone to load my BB at other than Customer Service or Money Center.

It was only 1 store that I had this issue last month, so it's slowly getting worse in my area.
Old Nov 15, 15, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by tontod View Post
When loading to BB yesterday at the MC, the system prompted for a drivers license, never seen this before. Anyone else experience this? Maybe amex (or walmart?) is trying to ensure that the name on the BB card matches the person trying to load?
I've had it happen once about a year ago in the STL area. I questioned why she neeeded to see it and the clerk said the system prompted her for it.
Old Nov 23, 15, 11:45 pm

I got my BB card today and successfully loaded $400 of VGCs I bought at Staples with my AmEx Business Open Cash card. I thought I read someone who transferred his BB account balance to his checking account and paid his AmEx bill from there. Is that possible or was that on Serve?
I couldn't find a link to add an external account to send money to on BB website.
Old Nov 24, 15, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 View Post
I got my BB card today and successfully loaded $400 of VGCs I bought at Staples with my AmEx Business Open Cash card. I thought I read someone who transferred his BB account balance to his checking account and paid his AmEx bill from there. Is that possible or was that on Serve?
I couldn't find a link to add an external account to send money to on BB website.
It's been a while since I used BB but I believe you have to go into account settings and scroll down. I remember it to be somewhat hidden. There isn't a real need to transfer to your bank and then pay. Some like to do that. I never transfer from BB/RB/Serve to my bank.

Search this Thread