Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a-35.html#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by barschools
Anyone have experience paying the Fidelity Amex with Bluebird, Redbird or Serve? Would it be under American Express or Bank of America? Thanks
Look for FIA Card Services (the name of the issuer).
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
Originally Posted by missing_link
Look for FIA Card Services (the name of the issuer).
That would've been my third guess. : ) Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by jjd477
Whenever I read that someone buys a gc at wm and goes over and loads it to bb, I think that this is the type of person who would ask "What's the phone number of 1-800_FLOWERS"?
as in, they are dumb for buying the GC and immediately loading it? for instance, are you suggesting buying the GC elsewhere and then bringing it to Wm to load would be smarter? or buying it at WM and loading it another day?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskiesallaroundme
as in, they are dumb for buying the GC and immediately loading it? for instance, are you suggesting buying the GC elsewhere and then bringing it to Wm to load would be smarter? or buying it at WM and loading it another day?
Yes. A la "discretion is the better part of valor".
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Blueskiesallaroundme
I haven't bought a GC at WM yet (just got a WF 5x Rewards card today), but I am planning on buying a GC, going to my car and unpackage the newly purchased GC and then return to WM to offload it less than 10 minutes after purchase.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Nov 3, 2015 at 9:04 am
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Wonko
Yes. A la "discretion is the better part of valor".
I recommend buying the GC in Mexico, burying it in your backyard for at least 5 years, and then going into WM wearing a Halloween mask to load it so that no one know who you are. Wear a different mask each time, of course, so no one catches on.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Don't try this at home. Please

Unbelievable!

Today I was at a WM MC that I visit a couple times a month because all the CSR's know how to do BP's:

30ish woman in front of me walks to the counter with 2 Sunnies. Without saying a word she hands them to the CSR, who enters in $500, woman pays with CC. Rinse and repeat. Now the first words are spoken when the CSR asks, would you like me to help you open them? Which she does, then the woman pulls out her BB and loads both newly opened Sunnies. All of this will no conversation between the two.

As the woman thanks the CSR, she says, I haven't seen you much recently. CSR responds, you must be coming in when I'm not here.

And I thought I was a regular customer!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I haven't bought a GC at WM yet (just got a WF 5x Rewards card today), but I am planning on buying a GC, going to my car and unpackage the newly purchased GC and then return to WM to offload it less than 10 minutes after purchase.
It might be raining.. you should just go to the loo...
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Chelski
It might be raining.. you should just go to the loo...
After reading 2B or back in coach's post, I'm just going to go to DFW or AZ (other FTers have reported that it's very easy to MS there) and open the GCs and load my BBs/buy MOs right after buying the GCs. No need to even get out of line.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:24 pm

Odd. Cannot log in to BB. Bookmarked log in page is now for Serve. Get same log in page when I go to BB landing page and hit Log in. App still working.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I am not sure Walmart falls under the 5% "Grocery" category. You may want to purchase at a stand alone grocery store instead.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
Odd. Cannot log in to BB. Bookmarked log in page is now for Serve. Get same log in page when I go to BB landing page and hit Log in. App still working.
Same here. Maintenance or upgrades in progress, with glitches I think.

Of course, it's after closing time so nobody home at @AskAmex.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
I had the same problem when using Chrome. I switched to Safari and it works fine.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by ajhardee
I am not sure Walmart falls under the 5% "Grocery" category. You may want to purchase at a stand alone grocery store instead.
Some do, some don't. From what I've read it's trial and error. I got an automated fraud check call from WF after making some purchases and WF coded one of my WMs as 'grocery'. The automated system asked me to review purchases and named a Super WM as 'grocery'.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
BB site still not working for me. Asks for email instead of username and can't log in...

Edit: works again now

Last edited by Julian Brennan; Nov 5, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.