Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 24, 15, 1:36 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Wiki Link
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement


Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Oct 21, 15, 2:23 pm
  #511  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,005
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
The reason I asked was that I have 2 cards, mine and DW's, and want to make one trip to visit Kate to load both of them. Our cards came yesterday, so I guess it's time to go see if either of my local Kates are up and running now. They were both on injured reserve when I checked on them a week ago. One was waiting for a service person to show up, and the other one was waiting for a replacement part to arrive. Wish me luck.
Good luck. I can't help you on the second part, but I'm also going to be managing 2 BBs; probably going to be much easier than 1 RB + 1 BB that I've been doing. My plan is to do 3 sessions with Kate, $1900x2 + $1200x1 with 10-15 min breaks in between.
Once you get your third BB, you can go $1900x3 + $1800x1.

Just my suggestion; all the best to you.
iflyjetz is offline  
Old Oct 21, 15, 7:08 pm
  #512  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,817
I didn't see in wiki if temp loads count toward the $5000 monthly limit....

it's been a while since I had a temp card and I just converted one of my RBs to BB.
lumangoy is offline  
Old Oct 22, 15, 8:26 am
  #513  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,704
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
The reason I asked was that I have 2 cards, mine and DW's, and want to make one trip to visit Kate to load both of them. Our cards came yesterday, so I guess it's time to go see if either of my local Kates are up and running now. They were both on injured reserve when I checked on them a week ago. One was waiting for a service person to show up, and the other one was waiting for a replacement part to arrive. Wish me luck.
Dealing with WallyWorld is such a joy. Went to my closest Kate, the one where they were waiting for a replacement part to arrive. Well, it arrived, the service tech installed it, everything worked great yesterday, and today it's broken again.

Drove another 10 miles to the other Kate, and it was in fine form. Loaded both of our cards with no issues at all.
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Oct 22, 15, 9:15 am
  #514  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,005
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
Dealing with WallyWorld is such a joy. Went to my closest Kate, the one where they were waiting for a replacement part to arrive. Well, it arrived, the service tech installed it, everything worked great yesterday, and today it's broken again.

Drove another 10 miles to the other Kate, and it was in fine form. Loaded both of our cards with no issues at all.
Robert, don't limit yourself to Kate loads. Try a few loads at the counters. Depending on your location, it will be anywhere from very easy to impossible. If very easy (it's very easy in my area; just a problem with long lines), then you'll find your loading isn't dependent on finding a working Kate.
iflyjetz is offline  
Old Oct 22, 15, 1:10 pm
  #515  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,704
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
Robert, don't limit yourself to Kate loads. Try a few loads at the counters. Depending on your location, it will be anywhere from very easy to impossible. If very easy (it's very easy in my area; just a problem with long lines), then you'll find your loading isn't dependent on finding a working Kate.
Thanks for that. I'll have to try and see if my WMs will let me load at the counters.

The reason I was looking for a working Kate is that by taking a short break or two, I can load $5K (or is it only $4K now?) in one trip, between our 2 accounts. Doubt I could do that much at the counters.

For those loading BB at the Money Center counter, which is the same as the return desk at my two WMs, how much can you load per trip?
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Oct 22, 15, 1:26 pm
  #516  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The World!!!
Programs: Some of them not all ...
Posts: 1,165
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post

For those loading BB at the Money Center counter, which is the same as the return desk at my two WMs, how much can you load per trip?
You are planning on making a CS, that can see what card you are using (you do not have a MC, where they can not see them), load your BB 4 times ($1,999.99) so that she might know you are using GCs or suspect something weird?

Wow, now I see why things die quickly. I have never loaded more than 2 GCs in either Wally or Targei in front of a human (and 90% of the time I do only 1, unless there is Kate). Even if I know the CS, I would never push it, as I can return other day. But people here want to load as many GCs as possible as quickly as possible in order to let people think about what is it they are doing.

Sad story, but yes, now I know why things do not last and why everyone suggest that BB and Serve should be max out the first 2 days of the month
carlitos is offline  
Old Oct 22, 15, 3:33 pm
  #517  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 284
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
You are planning on making a CS, that can see what card you are using (you do not have a MC, where they can not see them), load your BB 4 times ($1,999.99) so that she might know you are using GCs or suspect something weird?

Wow, now I see why things die quickly. I have never loaded more than 2 GCs in either Wally or Targei in front of a human (and 90% of the time I do only 1, unless there is Kate). Even if I know the CS, I would never push it, as I can return other day. But people here want to load as many GCs as possible as quickly as possible in order to let people think about what is it they are doing.

Sad story, but yes, now I know why things do not last and why everyone suggest that BB and Serve should be max out the first 2 days of the month
Agree 100%.

On a related note, have you ever had any problems loading a second card when interfacing with a CS rep i.e. "Id like to also load some funds to my wife's/girlfriends card"?
Radster is offline  
Old Oct 22, 15, 6:08 pm
  #518  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,005
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
Thanks for that. I'll have to try and see if my WMs will let me load at the counters.

The reason I was looking for a working Kate is that by taking a short break or two, I can load $5K (or is it only $4K now?) in one trip, between our 2 accounts. Doubt I could do that much at the counters.

For those loading BB at the Money Center counter, which is the same as the return desk at my two WMs, how much can you load per trip?
I don't recommend more than 2 loads per trip in line. If all cashiers in the store are able to load, I'd do 2x500 at 1) Moneycenter, 2) Electronics dept, 3) automotive dept (if it's not busy), and/or 4) front registers.

I think that regular cashiers are limited to $1K max load anyway.

Doing no more than 2 cards at a time appears to be good enough to keep me under the radar. I've never done 4x(2x500) ever; the max I've done is 2x (2x500). There are so many WM/Neighborhood Markets around me that I don't push my luck. I also don't load at the normal cashiers in the Neighborhood Market; I just go to the Moneycenter and do one 2x500 load.
iflyjetz is offline  
Old Oct 22, 15, 6:10 pm
  #519  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,005
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Agree 100%.

On a related note, have you ever had any problems loading a second card when interfacing with a CS rep i.e. "Id like to also load some funds to my wife's/girlfriends card"?
I've never been asked to show my BB. YMMV.
iflyjetz is offline  
Old Oct 22, 15, 6:39 pm
  #520  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The World!!!
Programs: Some of them not all ...
Posts: 1,165
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Agree 100%.

On a related note, have you ever had any problems loading a second card when interfacing with a CS rep i.e. "Id like to also load some funds to my wife's/girlfriends card"?
Where I usually load, the only thing CS s worry about is for the machine printing a receipt
So loading two different BB s or Serves with 1 GC each should be no problem. Only thing is that that Wally is in the middle of nowhere somewhere around the Mid West. So almost Zero MS people.
carlitos is offline  
Old Oct 22, 15, 9:02 pm
  #521  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 284
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
I've never been asked to show my BB. YMMV.
Thanks for the feedback, but do you explicitly state you'd like to load someone else's card? Or do you just ask to "add some more"?
Radster is offline  
Old Oct 23, 15, 7:58 am
  #522  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,005
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Thanks for the feedback, but do you explicitly state you'd like to load someone else's card? Or do you just ask to "add some more"?
No, I never mention anything about the BB I'm loading. And there's no way I'd try to load more than one BB at a time unless I'm using Kate.

No one's ever asked to look at my BB; no one's ever asked me for ID at a WM and no one's ever asked me if I'm using a GC to load a BB.

I'm lucky in that there aren't a bunch of MS jerks in my town that wreck it for everyone.
iflyjetz is offline  
Old Oct 23, 15, 8:11 am
  #523  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,704
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
Robert, don't limit yourself to Kate loads. Try a few loads at the counters. Depending on your location, it will be anywhere from very easy to impossible. If very easy (it's very easy in my area; just a problem with long lines), then you'll find your loading isn't dependent on finding a working Kate.
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
You are planning on making a CS, that can see what card you are using (you do not have a MC, where they can not see them), load your BB 4 times ($1,999.99) so that she might know you are using GCs or suspect something weird?

Wow, now I see why things die quickly.

Sad story, but yes, now I know why things do not last and why everyone suggest that BB and Serve should be max out the first 2 days of the month
@Carlitos You are really jumping to conclusions about my post. In fact, I have never loaded BB with either a cashier or at the Money Center. I have always used Kate. When both of my local Kates have been out of order I've just gone home without loading, and then came back another day.

I was responding to the post by iflyjetz encouraging me to use various other ways to load, and wondering if that really works, in light of the amount of loads I want to do per trip to WM. I very much understand the points you made, but don't understand your eagerness to flame me.
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Oct 23, 15, 9:11 am
  #524  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,005
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
@Carlitos You are really jumping to conclusions about my post. In fact, I have never loaded BB with either a cashier or at the Money Center. I have always used Kate. When both of my local Kates have been out of order I've just gone home without loading, and then came back another day.

I was responding to the post by iflyjetz encouraging me to use various other ways to load, and wondering if that really works, in light of the amount of loads I want to do per trip to WM. I very much understand the points you made, but don't understand your eagerness to flame me.
I usually tend to jump to conclusions, but I think I understood what you were asking ... what's a reasonable amount to load non-Kate.
Personally, I never load more than $2K per store if Kate's out to lunch. That's 2x$500, 1 done at the Moneycenter and 1 done at a register or electronics dept. If one were discreet, they could probably get away with loading 2GCs x 4 different locations. I wouldn't press my luck past that, and I'd only do 2GCs at the Moneycenter the first few times that I loaded manually.
iflyjetz is offline  
Old Oct 24, 15, 8:42 pm
  #525  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 780
So another data point. I met a cashier at Walmart who had her last day at work and was moving across country, she was excited, chatty and was willing to load my BB.

Long story short, 5 loads $500x5 on a single BB, all from 1 register. I really wanted to know if there is a $1999.99 limit per register -- it appears there isn't one.

Before anyone jumps on me to "stay under radar" and all of that, this cashier offered to load as many times as I wanted, there was no one behind me and I never load (or plan to) more than 2x$500 with a human at a time. But this experiment worked, and it was on 10/23.

Cheers,

PedroNY
PedroNY is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread