Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a-35.html#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:48 pm

Re: RIP BB (and Serve)

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Are you going to eat crow on 1 Jan 2016 if BB's still alive?
I will eat crow today if you say something relevant.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by UA Apologist
I will eat crow today if you say something relevant.
LOL! Just as I expected, you backed down on your prognostication by dodging my question.

Oh yeah, 'something relevant'. Eat crow.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:35 pm

Data point on limits:

Friday, 10/16, one BB card

Kate: 3x$500, 1x499.99 = 1,999.99
Customer Service Register: $500
Total: $2499.99

So not sure about new limits or what it means, but this has been my MO for a very long time with this single BB. Cannot speak for trying a second one right afterwards and if 10 minutes still works for Kate.

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the profile of someone who kills a deal? What is it that caused RB to die?

Rude MSers? WM employees are less tolerant of rude MSers, as there are several who have posted in the past of being banned from WM ... although they leave out any details that portray them in a negative light.

MSers with 20+ RBs/BBs? Those people 1) likely converted a ton of BBs/Serves to RBs, 2) it will take them a while to get all of those cards converted back over, and 3) certain GCs (such as Vanilla) which are bought in stores which give multipliers to credit cards (ex grocery stores, office supply stores) are difficult/impossible to unload at WMs.

Will BB and Serve get killed? Maybe. But I also think that more than a few RB MSers got burned by being stuck with GCs they can't unload or missing money that's still in dispute and are ambivalent about chasing MS to another card.
So how many people are there with 20 Bluebirds?

I manage 3 for my family. Honestly, it can get pretty exhausting: I actually feel "pressure" to get through the $15K every month. It seems like I'm always buying gift cards and unloading them at WM. The process isn't very fun. This ain't like the old days when I could wander into a CVS, buy $5K of Vanilla Reloads, go home and load them on my computer in a couple of minutes. I do like the rewards I earn -- especially my Chase UR points. But it's hard to imagine anyone doing 6x this much. It would basically be a full time job. And even if you wanted to spend your time that way, I'd think you'd quickly wear out your welcome at your local WMs. Heck, the cashiers in my store know me, and I try to spread it out among 4 or 5 stores.

I suppose if you had a bunch of always working Kate machines near your house, you could manage to load a few more cards. But doing $100K a WM a month? It would be something.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by PedroNY
Data point on limits:

So not sure about new limits or what it means, but this has been my MO for a very long time with this single BB. Cannot speak for trying a second one right afterwards and if 10 minutes still works for Kate.

Cheers,

PedroNY
I did the same thing tonight except instead of the Customer Service Register I used a regular check-out line. Approval went right through.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
As far as the new register load limits, it appears that they're velocity limits similar to Kate and/or restricted to a single register in a day. I just got my BB today and loaded $2500 at registers/customer service.
My loads:
Neighborhood Market $500x2, @ 17:10:49 and 17:12:48
Walmart $500x2, @ 17:28:32 and 17:29:24
Super Walmart $500x1 @ 17:59:58

Originally Posted by iahphx
I suppose if you had a bunch of always working Kate machines near your house, you could manage to load a few more cards. But doing $100K a WM a month? It would be something.
There are some MSers out there doing 7 figures annually - I don't know how many. 20 cards would be 40 x $2500 loads - doable if you're dedicated. FWIW, I agree with you that it gets old - and I only manage 2 BBs.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:38 am

As far as the new register load limits, it appears that they're velocity limits similar to Kate and/or restricted to a single register in a day. I just got my BB today and loaded $2500 at registers/customer service.
My loads:

There are some MSers out there doing 7 figures annually - I don't know how many. 20 cards would be 40 x $2500 loads - doable if you're dedicated. FWIW, I agree with you that it gets old - and I only manage 2 BBs.
Second that. I manage 5 bluebirds and standing at KATE for 30-45 min a few times a month does get old. I feel like the people at WM are getting a little too comfortable with me, I hope they don't start asking questions....

I've never MS'ed that much via BB but a while back I was running roughly 300-350k per month. It was about about 10-12 hours per week, it got pretty exhausting and repetitive.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:31 am

I can also confirm that the $1999.99 is related to Kate loading only which means nothing has changed. After loading BB at Kate, I proceeded to register to load another $500 and it went through w/o issues. This was done yesterday afternoon.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I can also confirm that the $1999.99 is related to Kate loading only which means nothing has changed. After loading BB at Kate, I proceeded to register to load another $500 and it went through w/o issues. This was done yesterday afternoon.
Until several people try to load >$1999.99 at a single register in less than 10 minutes, you can't conclude that the $1999.99 is limited to Kate. Someone a page or two ago wasn't able to load $2000 at the service center, so my guess is that they've imposed the same velocity controls on registers as are imposed on Kates.

My post was merely to test whether or not the FAQ stated daily $1999.99 register limit would apply if one loaded at multiple registers and honored the Kate velocity limit timing.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by SDBK
Second that. I manage 5 bluebirds and standing at KATE for 30-45 min a few times a month does get old. I feel like the people at WM are getting a little too comfortable with me, I hope they don't start asking questions....

I've never MS'ed that much via BB but a while back I was running roughly 300-350k per month. It was about about 10-12 hours per week, it got pretty exhausting and repetitive.
Money orders?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:49 pm

My loads:

Well, you could be a Walmart employee and do your MSing during slower part of the day... LOL

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Just got our second set of BB cards today, after recently closing our RB cards. What I used to do was $1999.99 with Kate, take a 15 minute break or perhaps shop, then do another $1999.99. Anyone know if this is still workable? I'm assuming yes, but you know what it means when you assume.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Just got our second set of BB cards today, after recently closing our RB cards. What I used to do was $1999.99 with Kate, take a 15 minute break or perhaps shop, then do another $1999.99. Anyone know if this is still workable? I'm assuming yes, but you know what it means when you assume.
I loaded $500x3, took a break and then loaded $500x2 a couple of hours ago on an old Kate. I'm not guaranteeing it's still $1999.99, but I haven't seen where it's changed.

It was still $1999.99 for PedroNY last Friday:
Data point on limits:

Cheers,

PedroNY
__________________________________________________ __

Well, you could be a Walmart employee and do your MSing during slower part of the day... LOL

Cheers,

PedroNY
I have a hard time picturing a WM employee running 6 figures/month on MS.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I loaded $500x3, took a break and then loaded $500x2 a couple of hours ago on an old Kate. I'm not guaranteeing it's still $1999.99, but I haven't seen where it's changed.

It was still $1999.99 for PedroNY last Friday:
Today was the second day in a row that I loaded $1999.99 at Kate and then walked to a register and loaded $500.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Today was the second day in a row that I loaded $1999.99 at Kate and then walked to a register and loaded $500.
The reason I asked was that I have 2 cards, mine and DW's, and want to make one trip to visit Kate to load both of them. Our cards came yesterday, so I guess it's time to go see if either of my local Kates are up and running now. They were both on injured reserve when I checked on them a week ago. One was waiting for a service person to show up, and the other one was waiting for a replacement part to arrive. Wish me luck.

Anyone dealt with applying for a BB and being told "your RB account is still open", despite it having been closed a week ago. This third card is being issued to a family member for me to use. Not only don't I want to bother them, but if they did call in they probably wouldn't know what to say, since they have never dealt with BB or RB. I'll probably need to call in "as them", but would like to know what to expect when I do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.