Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iflyjetz
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Cash loading up to $1999.99/day at Walmart registers (tested by PedroNY in Post #525 and showed to not be enforced. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a-35.html#post25611848 )
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)

Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by flyerfrog
BB wouldn't load at WM register today. Looked like everything was working, display said approved after entering PIN.
I called the BB customer service to see what the problem was and they said they were currently having an issue with BB reloads at WM.
Anybody else ever come across this issue?
What errors were you getting? I could not load BB today at all, tried Kate, MC, and registers. I got, debit not approved, card not accepted and host timeout errors.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerfrog
BB wouldn't load at WM register today. Looked like everything was working, display said approved after entering PIN.
I called the BB customer service to see what the problem was and they said they were currently having an issue with BB reloads at WM.
Anybody else ever come across this issue?
I just had this issue, albeit with Serve. Stopped at the shiny new WM on my way home and couldn't load Serve due to cashier not knowing what to do, then a supervisor said all loads >$200 must be done at Moneycenter. I said OK and left because I did 2x $500 yesterday at that location, so I assumed it was just made up on the spot policy.

Went to the WM by my house and your issue (bolded) is exactly what happened. It said approved and then POS printed a little receipt saying "debit not approved host timeout". Hope the $500 from my Simon mall GC isn't lost out in money cyberspace for too long.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:57 am

Any updates on this?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by compddd
Any updates on this?
I had no issues loading 2500 to both a BB and a Serve through Kate at noon today. The gc's were a mix of Staples and Simon.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:30 pm

No problemo loading KATE just a few hours ago.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta PM
Hey guys, read the wiki and did a quick search but wanted to ask/confirm the BB load limits at a WalMart. I understand it's 2500 a day however I read a couple posts indicating that much may fail due various reasons.

Am I going to have any problems loading 2k in one shot? The most I've ever done is 1k a shot without issue. My WM does not have a Kate, in the past I've done this with the Money Center but going forward I will go to any open register. I'd love to consolidate to two trips a month, 2k a pop. Will this work?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Hey guys, read the wiki and did a quick search but wanted to ask/confirm the BB load limits at a WalMart. I understand it's 2500 a day however I read a couple posts indicating that much may fail due various reasons.

Am I going to have any problems loading 2k in one shot? The most I've ever done is 1k a shot without issue. My WM does not have a Kate, in the past I've done this with the Money Center but going forward I will go to any open register. I'd love to consolidate to two trips a month, 2k a pop. Will this work?
I loaded $2k with no issues at 1 register. I did have to swipe my BB twice, loaded $1k at a time.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by tontod
I loaded $2k with no issues at 1 register. I did have to swipe my BB twice, loaded $1k at a time.
That's interesting, did you have to swipe your debit card twice as well?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:15 am

That's interesting, did you have to swipe your debit card twice as well?
Yes, $500x2 for each BB swipe. CSR has to put in $500 on the POS terminal for each swipe.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:22 am

Should be fine, I have never personally asked for a 1k load at WM, I always do 500, then ask to do it again if the CSR seems friendly and there isn't a line.

The 2k limit is a Kate thing.

I've never tried it, but I'd imagine you can load 100k across 40 BB/Serve in one WM trip if you stuck to CSRs. It might take 6-12 hours depending on how fast the CSRs are. (Please don't actually try this, your WM will probably call the cops...)
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by CWAL
Should be fine, I have never personally asked for a 1k load at WM, I always do 500, then ask to do it again if the CSR seems friendly and there isn't a line.

The 2k limit is a Kate thing.
Thank you. I will give a shot and report back. Sounds like I should be all set. I am using a Delta Debit card so 2k at once is fine.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:32 pm

Isnt there 1k limit per load?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Isnt there 1k limit per load?
There is. At least, that's what I encountered today but something seemed strange. Long story short I loaded the BB twice, 1k a pop with no problem.

Longer story: decided to use the money center because I know the CSRs from my MO days and there was no line. Told her I wanted to load 2k, so she starts the action and the system is prompting her to put in tons of my info which has never happened on any BB load I've ever done. I felt like she did something wrong on her end..... anyway, we're talking hand over my license, give my SSN, all this crazy stuff that has never happened, and THEN it asks her how much, she puts in 2k, I goto swipe and it rejects saying 1k load limit. From there I loaded 1k no prob and then we did it again no prob. Neither time required inputting any information.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
There is. At least, that's what I encountered today but something seemed strange. Long story short I loaded the BB twice, 1k a pop with no problem.

Longer story: decided to use the money center because I know the CSRs from my MO days and there was no line. Told her I wanted to load 2k, so she starts the action and the system is prompting her to put in tons of my info which has never happened on any BB load I've ever done. I felt like she did something wrong on her end..... anyway, we're talking hand over my license, give my SSN, all this crazy stuff that has never happened, and THEN it asks her how much, she puts in 2k, I goto swipe and it rejects saying 1k load limit. From there I loaded 1k no prob and then we did it again no prob. Neither time required inputting any information.

Do you, or anyone, happen to know the process the cashier must do on their end, to split the payment (2x$500)...I keep getting told they cannot do this??
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I just had this issue, albeit with Serve. Stopped at the shiny new WM on my way home and couldn't load Serve due to cashier not knowing what to do, then a supervisor said all loads >$200 must be done at Moneycenter. I said OK and left because I did 2x $500 yesterday at that location, so I assumed it was just made up on the spot policy.

Went to the WM by my house and your issue (bolded) is exactly what happened. It said approved and then POS printed a little receipt saying "debit not approved host timeout". Hope the $500 from my Simon mall GC isn't lost out in money cyberspace for too long.
This happened to me at Target with RB three times. Before panicking, I walked around the store a bit then checked my RB and Debit balances. It DID go through. Just late. I think it's when the problem is on Target end with communication between register and bank/approval. Mine always ended up going through without me doing anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.