Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lekuxs15
Today at my regular shell station in NOVA the pump asked me to see cashier. Gas was $1.89. Attendant turned on pump and I got the usual 35 gallons and went back inside to enter my phone number (usually I can do it at the pump even when gas is under 2.20 and pay the usual .10 a gallon). Well today was a little different. I owed $0 and I was only deducted 1890 points! Attendant said when gas is under $2.20 I have to come inside, which has never been the case. Possibly a system upgrade as I've never received gas for $0 and less than 2200 points unless I fill up at the giant gas station
I was stuck paying for mid grade recently in Leesburg. So you left a CC inside, get the pump activated, pump the gas, go back inside, enter your phone number/Giants card, and then the discount shows? I'm wondering if that's what happens at all the Shell's and just not many of them understand it. Where was your shell in NOVA? I might try that process with a light fill up just so I'm not stuck with 35 gallons at reg price.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:27 pm

I was able to get $2.20/gallon discount in my nearest Shell Gas station (NYC) but the pump mysteriously stopped after pumping just 7 gallons. Has anyone experienced this problem?

The cashier had no clue and asked to try again from the start. Obviously when I retried the rewards were gone.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Originally Posted by nitrousfiz
I was able to get $2.20/gallon discount in my nearest Shell Gas station (NYC) but the pump mysteriously stopped after pumping just 7 gallons. Has anyone experienced this problem?

The cashier had no clue and asked to try again from the start. Obviously when I retried the rewards were gone.
Same thing happened to me the last two times at two different shells. Both times got about 12 gallons and then it shut down on me. Fortunately I have a stop and shop with an attached gas station nearby so planning on using that one next time.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
my shell no longer allows me to pump gas into one car and another immediately after on the same pump. I've been doing it like this for over a year and it was perfect. now when I switch to the second car the pump shuts down after a gallon. ...????

anyone else notice this?
This is an example of YMMV. I use 2 different known "don't care" stations. Paid $1.37 for 35 gallons last week. With prices under $2.20, I do have to pay attention and not go over the price for my local stations. The one time I tried buying $2.19 gas with $2.20 discount, the regular stayed at $2.19. I went to mid grade and simply pay attention now.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Lots of gift cards this week it looks like. No Visa but lots of store cards.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:12 pm

Giant rewards system down so YMMV if you go to Shell to film up now. I called and verified and it's been down for the last 20-30 minutes. In NOVA.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chelski
Giant rewards system down so YMMV if you go to Shell to film up now. I called and verified and it's been down for the last 20-30 minutes. In NOVA.
Thanks! Wife just called me in a panic.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:27 pm

I was stuck paying for mid grade recently in Leesburg. So you left a CC inside, get the pump activated, pump the gas, go back inside, enter your phone number/Giants card, and then the discount shows? I'm wondering if that's what happens at all the Shell's and just not many of them understand it. Where was your shell in NOVA? I might try that process with a light fill up just so I'm not stuck with 35 gallons at reg price.
It is the one in Warrenton. In Gainesville, they still charge .10 a gallon, tried the same method with them and it didn't work. I didn't leave a cc, they just turned it on. Other than that, what you said is the method. If you are near Leesburg head down 15 to the Giant gas station just on the PWC border.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
Thanks! Wife just called me in a panic.
I'm glad my post was helpful :-).

Originally Posted by Lekuxs15
It is the one in Warrenton. In Gainesville, they still charge .10 a gallon, tried the same method with them and it didn't work. I didn't leave a cc, they just turned it on. Other than that, what you said is the method. If you are near Leesburg head down 15 to the Giant gas station just on the PWC border.
Thanks for the info. The system was back up and running. The shell in Ashbrun was $2.339 and it charged me $0.139 which I can live with.

By "it didn't work" does that mean you got stuck paying the full price or just the $0.10.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:21 pm

Giant/shell is back up in running in NOVA.

Do many of you use the Giant app?

I noticed that my Giant app would not load any account information and am wondering if that is something we can go off to know the points won't work properly at the pumps. This is my first time to notice that possible relationship but it could be a good indicator outside of calling the Giant number. I checked the app and my account information was there with rewards earned again so I went and tried and sure enough it worked. This might at least some from the aggravation that I've read about a number of times on here with the dime discount.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
The Giant PA site doesn't show your points when Shell is down it seems like. I noticed that earlier.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
I'm glad my post was helpful :-).

Thanks for the info. The system was back up and running. The shell in Ashbrun was $2.339 and it charged me $0.139 which I can live with.

By "it didn't work" does that mean you got stuck paying the full price or just the $0.10.
We'll buy $2-3 worth of gas to get home & hit a Shell in the am. Plus I keep a spare 5 gal container in the garage just in case.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:38 am

Just wanted to check, what is the experience of redeeming S&S points outside jersey?

I was in PA (around Allentown route 78) this weekend and stopped at one of Shell station (1132 S Cedar Crest Blvd, Allentown, PA 18103), went inside to ask does S&S rewards works here. Cashier said only Rewards that works is Shell Reward. At the Pump there was no option to select S&S reward. Just one line enter your reward number I believe it was Shell Reward number as Cashier said.

Just now, I read S&S faqs regarding redeeming outside jersey, It says scan your tag. I am confused scan where at the cashier or there is something at pump where I can scan tag. Or is it just that particular Shell station was not enrolled in S&S reward program. As I came to couple of Shell in jersey that says there don't take S&S reward.

Actually I am planning trip to Florida next month and wondering if S&S gas reward program can pay for my gas.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by luckypra
Just wanted to check, what is the experience of redeeming S&S points outside jersey?

I was in PA (around Allentown route 78) this weekend and stopped at one of Shell station (1132 S Cedar Crest Blvd, Allentown, PA 18103), went inside to ask does S&S rewards works here. Cashier said only Rewards that works is Shell Reward. At the Pump there was no option to select S&S reward. Just one line enter your reward number I believe it was Shell Reward number as Cashier said.

Just now, I read S&S faqs regarding redeeming outside jersey, It says scan your tag. I am confused scan where at the cashier or there is something at pump where I can scan tag. Or is it just that particular Shell station was not enrolled in S&S reward program. As I came to couple of Shell in jersey that says there don't take S&S reward.

Actually I am planning trip to Florida next month and wondering if S&S gas reward program can pay for my gas.
Every Shell I have used does not have a scanner but you have to manually enter the account number. There is a separate option on the home screen to enter your s&s number. It has to be a participating Shell you can look them on their website under find a participating gas station
http://stopandshop.com/store/locator/
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Lots of gift cards this week it looks like. No Visa but lots of store cards.
I just glimpsed the scanned S&S circular. It doesn't look like they're giving the typical 4x or 5x gas points for the GCs this week -- Its a $10 off $100 in spent on those GCs.

I couldn't make out the fine-print from the scanned circular so I don't know if any gas points will be associated w/the GC purchases.

GCs pictured: Cracker Barrel, Domino's, Ebay, Fandango, GameStop, Google Play, LL Bean, Fridays, Tracfone, Chili's/Maggiano's/On the Border/Macaroni Grill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.