Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by brownie20
this is why we can't have nice things

will probably have to start buying whatever has promotional gas points this week just so i don't pay full price for gas as iahphx has been saying this is the tragedy of the commons.
I hope this tragedy ends soon. Sucked paying $4.05 per gallon for 93 oct gas here in NoVA. Miss the $2.20 off. Come on Giant - give us back the ability to drive around to Walmarts and other gift card selling places. My MS depends on the discounted GAS. We common people have to deal with it.

Rant over.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:52 am

Out of those, best buy is the only one worth anything for resale. You can get 91% on giftcards.com . By my math you would be getting 28% off your gas and free points/cash back. Better than nothing if you are running out of gas.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Patience, patience. Usually "good" promos surface around the holidays, the next one being Labor day. My fingers are crossed. One must stockpile during the lean times.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Originally Posted by Peridot83
Out of those, best buy is the only one worth anything for resale. You can get 91% on giftcards.com . By my math you would be getting 28% off your gas and free points/cash back. Better than nothing if you are running out of gas.
Does your calculation take into account credit card points/miles earned when buying those BB GCs. Certain cards allow you to earn up to 5% at grocery stores.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Originally Posted by Kpoxa
Does your calculation take into account credit card points/miles earned when buying those BB GCs. Certain cards allow you to earn up to 5% at grocery stores.
So. Based on my calculations the breakeven point if you DON'T earn any rewards when buying things at a grocery store would be at 18 gallons assuming you bought exactly $450 in best buy gift cards and sold them at $0.91 on the dollar. If you have a 5x grocery store credit card your breakeven is at just about 8 gallons on $450 in best buy gift cards. So, it really depends on many factors whether this is worthwhile.

Clearly if you can use up 30-35 gallons this is worth it but if you have a normal car with a 12-16 gallons tank, I'd say skip it since it isn't worth the hassle.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:48 pm

ALL the giants that I frequent have recently changed their POS system to a new one with a computer screen. And anything over $500 requires manager override... What a PITA...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by willhernandez
Don't call, don't call, don't call

They can't give you gas points after the purchase and you are bringing too much attention to yourself...
Well, they CAN...

I wouldn't call attention to a big purchase, of course, but somehow my card didn't scan last week at SS when I bought a $50 Old Navy card, and I walked right to the CS desk and they checked the flyer and adjusted my gas point total by 250.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pecan Pie
ALL the giants that I frequent have recently changed their POS system to a new one with a computer screen. And anything over $500 requires manager override... What a PITA...
Same here with the Stop&Shops, use to be able to do $1500 at the registers no problem.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by gw14
Same here with the Stop&Shops, use to be able to do $1500 at the registers no problem.
do you know the exact amount that requires override? I did $495+3.95 and a manager was called...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Originally Posted by Pecan Pie
do you know the exact amount that requires override? I did $495+3.95 and a manager was called...
I've done $500 + $5.95 at S&S without any manager involvements using the new registers. Guess YMMV.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:20 pm

Do most of you go to the register? I just skip that and go straight to the customer service desk.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
One must stockpile during the lean times.
True, but my wife is nervous about all the plastic jugs full of gasoline in the garage.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
True, but my wife is nervous about all the plastic jugs full of gasoline in the garage.
I put mine in glass beer bottles. And to keep it from evaporating I stuff a rag in the top of each bottle.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by commdiver
Do most of you go to the register? I just skip that and go straight to the customer service desk.
for VGCs I go straight to the CS desk. For RLs I had bad luck with managers so I try to check out at cashier.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kpoxa
So here is my math. Please someone point out if I've overlooked something.

Most months we go through approx 15,000 points for 2 cars.
$15x25 gallons= $375 value of the gas
15,000/5x= 3,000 in GC spend to generate the months points
3,000x 91%= 2,730
3,000-2,730= 270 (Money lost in GC resale and the effective price paid for the gas)
270 ( loses) /375 ( value of gas)= .72 or you are getting gas at 28% off retail

Any points or cash back are just gravy.

Anyone who hasn't invested in gas cans should definitely do so get them through gaps in promos. At 3.50 a gallon, the break even point on a 5 gallon can is 17.50. I think Target and Kmart have them regularly priced around 13. So it wouldn't even take one fill up before it paid for it self.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.