Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:25 am

I got 6000 points from Stop and Shop Gift card promotion today 6/7. Max I can fill and use is 2200 points. I do not drive too much. My question is - Does anybody know if point expiry is reset to another 30 days after a complete fill-up. An example is - if I fill the gas on 7/6 and use 2200 points. Do my expiry date of 3800 points reset to another 30 days to 8/6 ?

Any feedback would be helpful.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:30 am

no it doesn't reset. Wish I could extend it somehow as well. I've got 20K just from buying from Giant in Maryland this weekend. Will never use that may points in a month!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: EMT-P
Originally Posted by bulletin2007
For Giant 3X promotion, which kind of Visa gift card is eligible, Meta bank or US bank? Thanks!
US Bank MC
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Originally Posted by medichill
US Bank MC
VGC issued by Metabank are eligible as well. Bought 3K today with no issues.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by goblue77
Yeah, it is. But they've been very good to us this year. we can still stretch the current promo til ~7/17. And hopefully the promo will return around last week of Aug.
Yeah, you are rite. Fingers crossed for the last week Aug.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:21 pm

Was one of you at the Roslyn, PA Giant this morning? There was a guy next to me at the CS desk buying a healthy amount of VGC. Never actually encountered a fellow MSer before.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Originally Posted by sanany
I got 6000 points from Stop and Shop Gift card promotion today 6/7. Max I can fill and use is 2200 points. I do not drive too much. My question is - Does anybody know if point expiry is reset to another 30 days after a complete fill-up. An example is - if I fill the gas on 7/6 and use 2200 points. Do my expiry date of 3800 points reset to another 30 days to 8/6 ?

Any feedback would be helpful.
It does not. Points expire 30 days from when you EARN them.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: EMT-P
Originally Posted by Peridot83
Was one of you at the Roslyn, PA Giant this morning? There was a guy next to me at the CS desk buying a healthy amount of VGC. Never actually encountered a fellow MSer before.
Was he wearing a tie?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by msiamsia
Yeah, you are rite. Fingers crossed for the last week Aug.
hopefully, it will start sometime in mid Aug thru 1st week of Sept.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Was he wearing a tie?
o/' It's a small world after all o/'
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by OZ Man
I'm having trouble finding VGC at my Stop & Shops here in SW CT my last turn for a month ago the gas fill up ends today. Both Greenwich locations are out.
US Bank MC
You could look for the US Bank MasterCards if the Visas aren't there.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Metabank Visa GC at the Stop&Shop by me. No sign about the promo except for one about 5x gas points for legal sea food GCs.

Manager had to key in register to allow purchase of 2x500 cards, but no issue otherwise. Got 3k gas points for that. Will have to go in again before the promo ends.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by rylan
Metabank Visa GC at the Stop&Shop by me. No sign about the promo except for one about 5x gas points for legal sea food GCs.

Manager had to key in register to allow purchase of 2x500 cards, but no issue otherwise. Got 3k gas points for that. Will have to go in again before the promo ends.
Yeah, a manager had to approve the 2nd $500 gift card. I might just go to the Customer Service desk next time. My fiancee doesn't get MS completely yet, so when I showed her the receipt for gas that cost $0, she was confused.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:19 am

At S&S, CS person or MGR has to enter their numbers for the second $500 card. This is typical. Of course, going to the CS desk means you don't have to wait for a MGR to walk over, since the CS person has that authority and can enter their own code.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
At S&S, CS person or MGR has to enter their numbers for the second $500 card. This is typical. Of course, going to the CS desk means you don't have to wait for a MGR to walk over, since the CS person has that authority and can enter their own code.
I started purchasing 1 in line with the regular cashier, then going to the CS desk for another 4 VGC.

I had the CS lady refusing to scan my S&S card today telling me that I don't get gas points anyway so she won't scan.

After a minute of explaining to her there was a promo and having her scan in the card, she looks at the receipt and tells me I won't really get those points anyway. hahaha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.