Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Just an FYi, GAP branded gift cards (Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic) will have 5x gas points starting Friday. Not really worth it IMHO as you can usually buy gift cards to these stores at a significant discount online anyway.

IIRC they usually have an AMEX promo in August at some point.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:10 pm

S&s gas rewards

Back to school gas points could be.. but it hopefully goes up soon, I am also running out of gas points. At one time during a VGC promo they gave 5 points, now it's 3x or 4x points, but I'll take it. Bought 3 this Am (VCG, metabank) along with Hellman's mayo on sale for 2.77. Only got 2 points!! With recently completed 4x points, would have received 6000 points!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:11 pm

S&s gas rewards

MAINEFLYER16...thanks, now have to wait at least another week!!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by barrytuneup
Back to school gas points could be.. but it hopefully goes up soon, I am also running out of gas points. At one time during a VGC promo they gave 5 points, now it's 3x or 4x points, but I'll take it. Bought 3 this Am (VCG, metabank) along with Hellman's mayo on sale for 2.77. Only got 2 points!! With recently completed 4x points, would have received 6000 points!
Last 5x I can remember was on AGC, which are more costly to get rid of. The 4x from last month is the best VGC offer I can remember. I liked the 3x offer from the end of June the best so far because it was 3x on all GCs and this included reloadables. I was getting a full 5% CB on my Reloadit purchases since T-Mo refunds the $3.95 plus I was getting the discounted gas. Hell, I'd be happy for 1x if Reloadits counted again.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
the only way to know about GC gas promos are from their circulars, the circulars are in my mail on the Wed before that ad starts on fri. And in the 3 S&S I frequent, you get 0 points when their is no promo. The last promo ended on 7/10, which does not coincide with their weekly sale dates. But they seem to have these promos during holidays (mothers, fathers day, Christmas/new years) and a few others thrown in. Also you get extra points for their advertised sales items, but not as much when the GC promo is working. Their prices are so high my family shops at Shoprite!
For Giant Food store, we did not see promotion in circulars even the cashier did not know about it. I just went I tried out since I saw Shop $ Stop had the promotion and I got the bonus. I am not sure why they had since it is almost too good to be true.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Originally Posted by payeco
Last 5x I can remember was on AGC, which are more costly to get rid of. The 4x from last month is the best VGC offer I can remember. I liked the 3x offer from the end of June the best so far because it was 3x on all GCs and this included reloadables. I was getting a full 5% CB on my Reloadit purchases since T-Mo refunds the $3.95 plus I was getting the discounted gas. Hell, I'd be happy for 1x if Reloadits counted again.
They will have an Amex gift card promotion in August and possibly another one on ALL gift cards for back to school. I much prefer the all GC ones because last time the VGC were getting awfully hard to find. The Visa only one is generally in the summer only.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Anyone noticing a lack of the variable load $500 Visa GCs at S&S lately? There were plenty during the promo, now the racks are bare at the last 3 stores I went to in the metrowest area. Plenty of the $100 and lower ones, but those are useless.

Had to resort to picking up some of the $500 ones with the free gift card box, but there are only a few of those available then thats it.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Anyone noticing a lack of the variable load $500 Visa GCs at S&S lately? There were plenty during the promo, now the racks are bare at the last 3 stores I went to in the metrowest area. Plenty of the $100 and lower ones, but those are useless.

Had to resort to picking up some of the $500 ones with the free gift card box, but there are only a few of those available then thats it.
Plenty at my local Giant - Landover locations last weekend.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

I noticed the same thing. Ask the customer service desk person about it, and he pulled more cards from the backstock inventory.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold

Can these be used the same way as the others, like WM and BB?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by thebat
Can these be used the same way as the others, like WM and BB?
Its the exact same card inside... its just additional packaging.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:28 pm

I just wanted to confirm that the Giants in the Philadelphia area do talk to each other, so if you got $5,000 at one (in my case it was $2,500 at one), you might get shut down at another. The ones I know of are in Aldan, PA and one in West Chester, PA.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I noticed the same thing. Ask the customer service desk person about it, and he pulled more cards from the backstock inventory.
No such luck here; almost all S&Ss ran out of MataBank VGC stock lately.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by commdiver
I just wanted to confirm that the Giants in the Philadelphia area do talk to each other, so if you got $5,000 at one (in my case it was $2,500 at one), you might get shut down at another. The ones I know of are in Aldan, PA and one in West Chester, PA.
According to the head night manager that I was talking to last night, 4-9 stores are grouped together. I am not sure if it's those 4-9 that communicate or whether it's all Giant stores that communicate the gift card purchase activity.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by commdiver
Did you try to buy for than 5k in one day?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.