Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:12 pm

I looked, no where to find 55 gallon drums/barrels.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:12 pm

This promo has been great to me!! Ended today with 17k gas points, enough for 7 fills from now to Jan 5!

We don't really drive far from home for work/train so this will definitely last us!!
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
I looked, no where to find 55 gallon drums/barrels.
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Only $63 if you buy 8+.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by ashap
This promo has been great to me!! Ended today with 17k gas points, enough for 7 fills from now to Jan 5!

We don't really drive far from home for work/train so this will definitely last us!!
Just a heads up. Today is day one. Jan. 3rd will be day 30. On jan. 4th, all points expire.

It was great while it lasted...
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
Well, to be fair, we're not maxing out the 35-gallons per fillup. My truck takes about 19 when it's bone dry. The other cars vary from 13 - 16. Next time I'll just get a trailer and a bunch of 55-gallon drums!

Been there, done that. The problem is all the drums are full. As are the 550 & 275 gal tanks. I have close to 100k points left still.

I actually only hit this about half as hard as I could, because there is a better deal in town.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by jqsmooth
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashap

Just a heads up. Today is day one. Jan. 3rd will be day 30. On jan. 4th, all points expire.

It was great while it lasted...
Oh thank you!! I didn't realize that.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:11 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by SpeedingLunatic
Been there, done that. The problem is all the drums are full. As are the 550 & 275 gal tanks. I have close to 100k points left still.

I actually only hit this about half as hard as I could, because there is a better deal in town.
lol... Hope the cops dont show up in your backyard

I was actually thinking diesel for my oil tank but that is so dirty/messy I didnt want to bother.

My card I ended up with about 40k points today however during the promotion I scanned all my friends S&S card and kept them on my "keychain" iphone app and each time I went into S&S I would scan one of their cards so they could get points. I easily got over 100k this promo and now my family and friends are enjoying extremely cheap gas for the next month. Cant wait for the next promo!
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:48 am

Nice. Do you need permits to store that much gasoline?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by xp0
diesel for my oil tank
Just don't buy any large amounts of fertilizer after stocking up on diesel.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:16 am

Nice. Do you need permits to store that much gasoline?

It is diesel (AKA heating oil). I wouldn't store that much gasoline. It doesn't hold up well over time.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:40 am

It is diesel (AKA heating oil). I wouldn't store that much gasoline. It doesn't hold up well over time.
Gotchya. I actually thought perhaps you were using it for racing cars or something.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by prokopon
Not to hijack, but if you have Stop&Shop in your area, note next week's flyer. 5x gas points on USBank issued MC.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Did you bump this because the 5x on GC is back? Haven't seen the flyer...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:54 am

someone moved my post to the right thread (thanks!). I forgot that S&S had a dedicated thread to this promo. Yes, it's back, starting on Friday in my area.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by AAmlgm8r
Did you bump this because the 5x on GC is back? Haven't seen the flyer...
Yes. Using this as more of an all-purpose S&S thread. I didn't see it in my flyer either, but Prokopon apparently has it in his.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.