Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by boilerhoops10
Frys in AZ excludes reloadable cards according to the cashier I spoke to yesterday.
Fry's = Kroger, and this has been the case for a few months now. See this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-mc-amex.html for details. Reloadable Visa GC used to earn 1x even though the T&C said they shouldn't, regardless of whether they were doing 2x or 4x for GC. Now your best bet is to buy fixed value Visa GC (expensive since the max they have is $100) or merchant GC during a 4x promo. I usually stock up on fuel points buying merchant GC when either Kroger or Safeway is doing a 4x promo. I lived in Phoenix for 12 years so I know they have both chains there.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by PedroNY
The promo is back at my S&S through December 5th, 2013. Don't go too crazy, but it is 4X Fuel points on all GCs. Check your local listings!

Cheers,

PedroNY
Biggass savings till January, Woohoo!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by zenride
Biggass savings till January, Woohoo!
YMMV to add to your savings:

A) If you have a Chase Ink card, buy the Shell GCs get 5x rewards at office supply store
B) Shell GCs at the pump usually gives a 10c discount from the credit price. Some Shells may have cash/credit at the same price so you can get an extra $.10 discount as well!

Thanks Pedro for bringing this thread to the top, we don't usually get S&S flyers and would have missed this opportunity otherwise!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:58 am

I can confirm that a $500 variable VISA from Metabank does indeed earn 2000 points at Stop $ Shop.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by UserMark
I can confirm that a $500 variable VISA from Metabank does indeed earn 2000 points at Stop $ Shop.
Visa too, huh? I can confirm that a Mastercard works as well.

So now I have a bu77-load of Giant gas points, all of which expire in a month.

Anyone have thoughts on what to do with them?

Does anyone know if points acquired at a Giant will work at a station associated with a Stop-n-Shop?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by kcblakely

Does anyone know if points acquired at a Giant will work at a station associated with a Stop-n-Shop?
Use it and save on gas? Or try to sell some of the points to someone? What else is there to do?

I for one am glad this opportunity is still available and I can once in a while pay less than than $1.50 for a gallon of gas at current prices.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:20 pm

Sell your points to a friend who does a ton of driving. It's a win-win.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:45 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserMark

I've hot a ton of family driving 400 miles r/t to come see me for thanksgiving , I'm giving them all a very cheap tank of gas in return!!

Thanks pedrony for the tip, I didn't get a flyer this week and my store had NO signs to indicate this promotion, I would have missed out if it wasn't for you!!!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:02 pm

It's going to be hard filling up ~75 times in the next month, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
I'm actually considering buying ten 5 gal gas cans. The money I save on the gas will almost pay for the cans....
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:56 am

If you're talking about the PA-based Giant (not the MD-based one), you can get a free whole turkey, turkey breast, or lasagna for 400 points each.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:28 am

I'm actually considering buying ten 5 gal gas cans. The money I save on the gas will almost pay for the cans....
Last time they had this deal I bought a couple of the metal ones with built-on funnel from Amazon. They are $35-40 though.

Last edited by zenride; Nov 20, 2013 at 2:05 pm
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by ntr91
If you're talking about the PA-based Giant (not the MD-based one), you can get a free whole turkey, turkey breast, or lasagna for 400 points each.
Does Stop&Shop has any alternative applicability of fuel points?

One day I saw Latte points on my receipt. I'm not often there...
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:08 am

I am glad that people are back in the game, happy to hear it. As for me, I do not drive nearly as much as I buy GCs ($5,000/month) at S&S. So my plan is to buy some more on Dec 3, 4, 5th, just so these points are good till first weekend of January.

We have a lot of family visiting us between now and Dec. 26th, I think they will end up getting some cheap gas this time around. It's holiday season, spread your wealth!

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Yeah, I guess I will stay at Shell gas station with card with points in Santa Claus clothes and offer people to scan my card for the discounted fuel. /humor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.