Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA, Southwest
Anyone know what gift cards gas promotion is on for next week?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Originally Posted by slicktraveler
http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com...hop-ad-preview

Just like last week...
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by slicktraveler
Appears to be the same mix as last week, and mixed whether it is 4x gas points or 10 of 100. Thinking depending on your region you will get the opposite deal you got last week, but that is a guess.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by WackNut
Appears to be the same mix as last week, and mixed whether it is 4x gas points or 10 of 100. Thinking depending on your region you will get the opposite deal you got last week, but that is a guess.
Got the flyer in the mail. In central Mass, it's still 4X on the same cards. Same as last week.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:09 pm

And the week after as well, everyone. This promo goes through 12/3.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Anyone know if I could fill at shell in NJ with the points earned at Giant store in PA.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
Go to the website of your specific grocery chain. e.g. giantfood.com, giantfoodstores.com, martins.com stopandshop.com. Then see which gas stations are in the "network" of your local grocery chain.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by westlaker
Anyone know if I could fill at shell in NJ with the points earned at Giant store in PA.
No, you can not.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by ILGfly
No, you can not.
Thanks. This saves me a trip to PA to get gas points.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by ILGfly
No, you can not.
well, I am not so sure. I used gas points earned at CT stop & shop and used it at shell stations near DC that only has giant rewards. Have you actually tried it?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
well, I am not so sure. I used gas points earned at CT stop & shop and used it at shell stations near DC that only has giant rewards. Have you actually tried it?
That's because Giants in DC and S&S are part of Giant-Landover. Giants in PA are part of Giant-Carlisle. PA Giants have a completely different gas points system. There you can only use the points at the pumps at the grocery store. They don't work at Shell.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:59 pm

that makes sense. thanks for clarifying that. I stand corrected.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by yoyo
that makes sense. thanks for clarifying that. I stand corrected.
Yeah, in some ways PA Giants system is better, especially when gas is a lot higher than $2.20 a gallon. You're limited to 25 gallons (vs. 35) but if you have enough points you can fill up completely free.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:46 pm

That could work for me. Thanks Car Jack!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA, Southwest
What gift cards are on promotion next week for gas rewards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.