Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by nopoints
I just glimpsed the scanned S&S circular. It doesn't look like they're giving the typical 4x or 5x gas points for the GCs this week -- Its a $10 off $100 in spent on those GCs.

I couldn't make out the fine-print from the scanned circular so I don't know if any gas points will be associated w/the GC purchases.

GCs pictured: Cracker Barrel, Domino's, Ebay, Fandango, GameStop, Google Play, LL Bean, Fridays, Tracfone, Chili's/Maggiano's/On the Border/Macaroni Grill
You are correct it is no gas points, but $10 off your next purchase when you purchase a $100.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Wow, Giant PA is 4X on those cards, looks like a difference, not sure I've seen that before.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
http://forthemommas.com/wp-content/u...ting-11.13.pdf
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by WackNut
Every Shell I have used does not have a scanner but you have to manually enter the account number. There is a separate option on the home screen to enter your s&s number. It has to be a participating Shell you can look them on their website under find a participating gas station
http://stopandshop.com/store/locator/
Thanks for information.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:46 pm

NJ Issues

Anyone in Nj having issues at Shell?
I have 2 cards with $2 off a gal.
Tried to use both at 2 diff gas stations and all I get is $.10 off a gallon. No matter what grade! I have been doing this for a year and never had that happen. Last time I had a problem was when their entire system had issues.
I always got super so never had to worry about prices under $2.20.
But even trying to pump plus at $2.17 with my $2 discount came to $2.07!
Anyone had this happen?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:26 pm

Got only 10c off in MA today.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:27 am

Anyone else having issues at the pump?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
4X GC

In Southern CT, my Stop & Shop ad shows 4 X points for select gift card such as Fandango, Ebay, Dardens and a few others.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by thebat
In Southern CT, my Stop & Shop ad shows 4 X points for select gift card such as Fandango, Ebay, Dardens and a few others.
Are you sure it's gas points?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by avagyan
Are you sure it's gas points?
Yes, it's gas points. Starts 11/13 to 11/19. This is the local circular that comes in the mail.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:45 am

Use Stop & Shop card @ Giant?

I was wondering if you can use a Stop & Shop card @ Giant? Will be in De & Pa over the weekend. Like to get some 4X during my travel.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:35 pm

Tomorrow's circular is on stop and shop's site and it is NOT the same as what's shown on Living with Coupons.

4X gas points on all those cards. This is good for me. Real good!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Originally Posted by Car Jack
Tomorrow's circular is on stop and shop's site and it is NOT the same as what's shown on Living with Coupons.

4X gas points on all those cards. This is good for me. Real good!
Wow, I haven't previously experienced different S and S flyers in different locations. My online flyer is for the $10 off a $100 purchase with no gas point multiplier. (in southwestern CT). Is the mailed version somehow different?

Wow indeed! I just checked based on your location and the flyers are different! Yours is a much better promo - at least for me. Too bad we're not driving to grandma's MA house until Thanksgiving(although it looks like it will still be valid then).

Last edited by AAmlgm8r; Nov 12, 2015 at 1:30 pm
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:51 pm

4x in my area/circular

Originally Posted by nopoints
I just glimpsed the scanned S&S circular. It doesn't look like they're giving the typical 4x or 5x gas points for the GCs this week -- Its a $10 off $100 in spent on those GCs.

I couldn't make out the fine-print from the scanned circular so I don't know if any gas points will be associated w/the GC purchases.

GCs pictured: Cracker Barrel, Domino's, Ebay, Fandango, GameStop, Google Play, LL Bean, Fridays, Tracfone, Chili's/Maggiano's/On the Border/Macaroni Grill
My circular shows 4x gas points for these cards this week. The $10 of sounds like a nice add on bonus! I've been waiting for the Amazon GC deal, anyone know when that might be? My guess is the week of black Friday...

Last edited by branima; Nov 12, 2015 at 1:52 pm Reason: wasn't finished with post
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Originally Posted by branima
My circular shows 4x gas points for these cards this week. The $10 of sounds like a nice add on bonus! I've been waiting for the Amazon GC deal, anyone know when that might be? My guess is the week of black Friday...
Looks to me like it's a regional thing with some zip codes getting the $10 off while others get the 4x points. I'm not seeing both in any of the locations I've checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.