Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:17 pm

Probably TMI

OK, I admit I'm a little obsessed about this deal, but thought I'd share:

+ Got gas at No. Va. Shell today for $1.05/g. Had to manually enter my Giant card number (no mag stripe on keychain tag), then swiped payment card (regular CC), then pump price reduced by $2.20 to above price, so purchase amount displayed while pumping was "actual" amount to be paid after discount. This station, like many in my area, does not surcharge for CC.

+ No joy on Coke 6 pack, as the store shelf was bare. Maybe effect of free coupon in circular, plus $1.00 off mft coupon in Sunday paper.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by kmfdm91
Cool - good to know, I would prefer getting a money order from Harris Teeter, since I've got a couple of them just a few blocks away - does anyone know if I can use my USBank MC for (I have set a PIN on it) Money Orders at Harris Teeter?
I can confirm that USBank MC w/ PIN works fine for MO purchase at HT. I ask for one for $499.00, so I leave only a penny on the card after the MO fee, As always, suggest not volunteering that it's a GC, i.e., "Is it OK to swipe my debit card now?" I may be too paranoid, but I do sign the back of the card w/ a Sharpie try & not make it stand out.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 2:34 pm
xp0

I can confirm it (USB MC) also works fine at WM for MO and/or BP.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by ashap
This is not a fact, this is a YMMV.

My points for example post within 2 minutes and are available for use.
Yes, it definitely is YMMV depending on the location you purchase from. Like another poster said, there's two different systems, old and new(one needs a keyturn when purchasing more than $500 GC, the other does not). I tried filling up after 3 hours of purchase and it didn't go through. CSR at Stop & Shop said to fax in receipts for reimbursement and it may take up to 24 hours for the points to post to the account.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: EMT-P
Success at Giant - $2.50 off gas + 500 points on AA

I'm a little annoyed that the threads have been merged because Giant and Stop n Shop are in two different areas so instead of being aware of when they run this promotion again, I'm going to have to sort through all the SnS and Shell card posts.

Anyway, I'll get over it.

I went to my local Giant today and purchased the MC for $500 (along with the half and half I needed for my coffee ). Immediately got credited the 2500 points. Interesting difference between our area and NoVa is the full 2,500 points goes towards the gas discount and, if you have enough points, the gas is free. I see no reason why I couldn't get another one and get free gas.

The register tape was at the end which is the reason for the pink ink.

I always appreciate the help I get at FT, so I thought I would upload the receipts to show how it worked for me. I used my AAdvantage card. 100K bonus, here I come!

NOTE: Thanks to those who spotted my Giant # and PM'd me and to the mod for editing. Should be OK now.

Last edited by medichill; Feb 9, 2014 at 5:37 pm Reason: removed my personal information
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:28 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by medichill
I'm a little annoyed that the threads have been merged because Giant and Stop n Shop are in two different areas so instead of being aware of when they run this promotion again, I'm going to have to sort through all the SnS and Shell card posts.

Same here! No Stop & Shops' around me either.

I've never done one of these gas rewards promos before and gave it a go. My receipt mimicks yours pretty much exactly. I'll try to fill up later this week, as tank is fairly full at the moment, lol.

Hopefully we can do this at least one more time while the promo runs till the 22nd.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:29 pm

I always appreciate the help I get at FT, so I thought I would upload the receipts to show how it worked for me. I used my AAdvantage card. 100K bonus, here I come!

Thanks, just filled up my truck with your points.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedingLunatic
I feel like you're just kidding, but ya, if I was him, i'd remove the first receipt --- Your Giant card number is on there!
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by y00y
I feel like you're just kidding, but ya, if I was him, i'd remove the first receipt --- Your Giant card number is on there!
Alert mods, personal info should be taken down immediately, to protect poster.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the gas promos for Stop & Shop and Giant run at exactly the same time, with the exception that the circular sales start on different days in different cities (some start on Fridays, some on Sundays, etc). Like not all Safeway sales start on the same day nationwide.

Since the terms and conditions are basically the same, I think we're much better off sharing information in one forum. As we've seen though, conditions can vary from city to city. Like the Shell pumps in PHL seem to work a little different than the Shell pumps in DC, even though both gas cards are issued by Giant.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:32 pm

Yeah I'm a little annoyed that we've had a specific Stop and Shop thread for a long time and now I can only get Giant information when I come on here.

Last edited by ashap; Feb 9, 2014 at 6:32 pm
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: EMT-P
Originally Posted by SpeedingLunatic
Message received.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
I am trying to liquidate some of my AmEx GCs using this deal. I have one AmEx GC with a balance of a little less than $500. Does anyone know if Giant register (in PA) would drain the entire balance for a transaction over $500 and then would allow for the remainder to be paid with a different card? Or it would reject the transaction if GC balance is less than the total amount?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by brownie20
title edited for clarification
Mods may need to change, it's still appearing on the main MS landing page as only Stop n Shop.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:33 am

In NJ, I've had a few S&S managers tell me that variable MCs are cash only. YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.