Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:54 am

I would gas up in CT and not NJ. NJ you have to hand your S&S card to the attendant. There has been post of S&S gas points disappearing after that.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Originally Posted by gw14
I would gas up in CT and not NJ. NJ you have to hand your S&S card to the attendant. There has been post of S&S gas points disappearing after that.
I get out of my car and put in my s&s card myself and then let the attendant pump the gas.

But that might be too much work for some people I guess. #msisnotforlazypeople
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:55 pm

It's hard finding the fully load able vgc here in Queens. Went to 3 S&S and they were not stocked. This drought is killing me.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:38 pm

Reloaded a couple more variable VGC this afternoon. Do you guys wait a week or so to buy more so your points expire on a staggered basis ?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by balwx
Reloaded a couple more variable VGC this afternoon. Do you guys wait a week or so to buy more so your points expire on a staggered basis ?
Expire? Why would you let your points expire?

I buy cards, unload them, buy 35 gallons plus a car wash which reduces the price by 20 cents a gallon (total for all this last night was $24), repeat. We have 3 drivers in my household, so the gas cans get dumped into cars every couple days. I go back to get gas again when I've got at least $2.20 in points and enough capacity to pump 35 gallons into a car plus gas cans. I guess as we approach the 17th, I'll max out the points and use them over the next 30 days.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:18 pm

what if I have like 3,000 points equivalent of 3 dollars off, but they can only discount up to 2.20. the other 800 points aka 80 cents stay there till next fill up?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:59 pm

yes.
Originally Posted by sean79
what if I have like 3,000 points equivalent of 3 dollars off, but they can only discount up to 2.20. the other 800 points aka 80 cents stay there till next fill up?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Nelumbo
yes.
thanks
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Car Jack
Expire? Why would you let your points expire?

I buy cards, unload them, buy 35 gallons plus a car wash which reduces the price by 20 cents a gallon (total for all this last night was $24), repeat. We have 3 drivers in my household, so the gas cans get dumped into cars every couple days. I go back to get gas again when I've got at least $2.20 in points and enough capacity to pump 35 gallons into a car plus gas cans. I guess as we approach the 17th, I'll max out the points and use them over the next 30 days.
Was referring to expiration date of your points only & not actually allowing them to expire, as this would not be smart.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A couple S&S stores near me have the racks empty of the variables for the past two weeks now. I was able to 'locate' several cards in one store by checking in/behind other gift card racks however so seems that some people are hiding some cards.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
A couple S&S stores near me have the racks empty of the variables for the past two weeks now. I was able to 'locate' several cards in one store by checking in/behind other gift card racks however so seems that some people are hiding some cards.
This brought back my sweet memories of Vanilla white cream...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:52 pm

The SS closest to me in NJ has been empty of variable gift cards for weeks. There is only one spot for them on the rack so even if they are filled once a week ( cashier told me) they don't really hold alot and are gone quickly.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:08 pm

went to 5 stop and shops today, found a total of 4 variables.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by kmwrestle
went to 5 stop and shops today, found a total of 4 variables.
Tough findings. I may go on a run later tonight, although since finding have been slim may have to try several stores in the area.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:02 am

Filled about 30 gal. this weekend. Wife was happy filled up her suv for under $6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.