Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
if you're in the market for gas cans, other than the metal eagle ones, these are the best:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390951045143

they're double the price of the $10 cans, but you won't spill gas all over the place. the long flexible hose (sold separately) makes refueling much easier.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by PenneyPincher
My whole family has garages for auto and/or motorcycle repair, etc, heavy equipment, generators, construction machines and tools, and every kind of gas powered thing there is to ride for fun... I've grown up with gas cans full or partial all over in storage sheds, garages, etc... NEVER had one split or blow up... and never heard any warning other than they should be in a cool shaded area.

The only problem I've ever heard is that letting it sit too long partially full is not a good idea... gas is like wine, it doesn't do well with too much head space and will break down. Partial cans were always dumped into the truck's tank and taken to be refilled to avoid having it go bad...
Do check with the Fire Station and Insurance Co.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HMPS
Do check with the Fire Station and Insurance Co.
Thats not the problem in NY/NJ.The problem now is simply finding any of the $20-500s The 4 closest to me had zippo last Fri morn @ 9am. Got lucky in NJ as I found 2 on Fri and 1 more on Sun as I passing by anyways
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:24 am

To my N. Va. friends --
After being completely OOS last night, I saw employee restocking high denom cards at Giant in McLean this morning, around 10am. Happy hunting.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
To my N. Va. friends --
After being completely OOS last night, I saw employee restocking high denom cards at Giant in McLean this morning, around 10am. Happy hunting.
I'm scheduled to go there this afternoon. Would you guys mind leaving me 2?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:33 am

Thanks for the price chopper heads up!
Edit.....I just read the Price Chopper ad. Holy cow....4X points on GCs including visa. The gas redemption has no max and points are retained if you can't use them all. 20 gallons max, but heck.....$750 in gcs and that's free premium at $3 a gallon!

For Stop & Shop, one of the things they do (which I did not realize) is they combine points for everyone at an address. I found this after having my son sign up for a card. I bought a $500 variable at lunch and the cashier says "you have $4059 gas points", which is right for combined. I was hoping to have 2 separate accounts so I could more discretely fill up my 3 6 gallon gas cans to be sure to hit the 35 gallon limit every time. Oh well.

Check around the area if you don't see the $500 ones. I have hit 4 and 2 didn't even have a spot in the rack for anything over $100 and 2 were packed full with variables.

Last edited by Car Jack; Jun 10, 2015 at 12:15 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:33 pm

Went to 2 stores in central NJ and couldn't find any visa GC over $200 value...
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by airride
Went to 2 stores in central NJ and couldn't find any visa GC over $200 value...
Same here central NJ, S&S no visa gc over$50
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by balwx
Same here central NJ, S&S no visa gc over$50
you have to go West young man , go West. At least thats where I scored mine but that was days ago, no idea if they are still full as they were on Sun
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Originally Posted by craz
you have to go West young man , go West. At least thats where I scored mine but that was days ago, no idea if they are still full as they were on Sun
Plenty of availability of the variables at several of the S&S stores near me in CT. I will buy a few more tomorrow (last day) to extend out the expiration of a decent number of points. I'd love to see this come back again for the July 4th Holiday.

AAmlgm8r
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:23 pm

Plenty here in White plains S&S on Westchester Ave. 21000 points is enough for me.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121
Plenty here in White plains S&S on Westchester Ave. 21000 points is enough for me.
I bought one card on 6/9 and did not receive the points. I checked the receipt and it shows my Stop shop card number, but did not show my points earned.

This morning I bought again and this time I got the points, and the receipt showed points I earned correctly.

Is there a way to argue for the missing points, or just move on?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by ziwei
I bought one card on 6/9 and did not receive the points. I checked the receipt and it shows my Stop shop card number, but did not show my points earned.

This morning I bought again and this time I got the points, and the receipt showed points I earned correctly.

Is there a way to argue for the missing points, or just move on?

Call them up and send them your first receipt scan.
1-877-366-2668 M-F 9am - 5pm ET.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:11 am
Suspended

seems every SnS near me never got restocked, wondering if the employees are the ones now buying it all up
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:00 pm

Where are you located? Similar story here, shelves are bare. But they've been bare for weeks, so it's not related to employees buying them all for gas points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.