Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
No
I actually think the register will allow it, but it's against Staples policy so very, very YMMV with actually being able to do it
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by michael160
I actually think the register will allow it, but it's against Staples policy so very, very YMMV with actually being able to do it
Most trained cashiers won't allow you to use it.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:50 pm

Not worth the trouble for Staples. 5X = 500 points per $100. That's 50 cents/gallon. If you do the maximum of 35 gallons (a big "if"), that's $17.50. Staples GCs were recently on ebay at $85 for a $100 card (plus you could go through a cash back site for 1.5% more off the price). So in the best case scenario (a 35-gallon fillup), you're only beating the ebay price by $1-$2.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
Not worth the trouble for Staples. 5X = 500 points per $100. That's 50 cents/gallon. If you do the maximum of 35 gallons (a big "if"), that's $17.50. Staples GCs were recently on ebay at $85 for a $100 card (plus you could go through a cash back site for 1.5% more off the price). So in the best case scenario (a 35-gallon fillup), you're only beating the ebay price by $1-$2.
plus x% back on your cash back card at grocery stores...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:29 pm

If you have enough places you can get rebates sent to and an agreeable cashier it might be worth doing with the penny paper rebates since you can sell all the paper pretty easily on CL afterwards. Points/miles/CB at the grocery store, $17.50 off gas, ~$100 selling all the paper on CL.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
I buy a lot of stuff to resell at staples. The problem with the ebay deals is that they are limited to a certain number per person. I am always looking for discount staples gift card deals. I use Raise a lot for Staples. I sometimes also buy at full price on ebay so I can get ebay bucks, 5X chase (counts as utility I think), and portal rewards. I may buy 400ish at stop and shop just to get enough for a free fill up. As another poster indicated, staples registers are not hard coded but most cashiers are well-trained, at least around here.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
Did your points expire? They expire 30 days after earning.
No, I bought VGC (2Xpoints) from stop shop on March 20 and March 25, should last to April 24th

the card has no phone number to call. Does anyone happen to know the phone number of Customer service?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nkp46
No, I bought VGC (2Xpoints) from stop shop on March 20 and March 25, should last to April 24th

the card has no phone number to call. Does anyone happen to know the phone number of Customer service?
i'd try the number listed on the s&s app - "If you have questions about your points, please call our Card Hotline at 1-877-366-2668 M-F 9am-5pm ET"

good luck!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by brownie20
i'd try the number listed on the s&s app - "If you have questions about your points, please call our Card Hotline at 1-877-366-2668 M-F 9am-5pm ET"

good luck!
thank you very much! will give a try
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:43 pm

Anyone noticing a shortage of VGCs (20-500) at Giant in Maryland? Stores I go to all out. These are my go-to cards to meet spend and without them I'm so lost.

I think I will make a trip to a distant Safeway tonight and hope they have some.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by fenderbender
Anyone noticing a shortage of VGCs (20-500) at Giant in Maryland? Stores I go to all out. These are my go-to cards to meet spend and without them I'm so lost.

I think I will make a trip to a distant Safeway tonight and hope they have some.
I haven't been able to find any in my usual stores. Had to go to a new place which luckily had them. Good luck with the safeway route, mine is cash only. This is in VA but it is at Giant of MD.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just used my last almost-free gas today. I guess most folks are in the same boat. This is the single best MS opportunity there is, at least if you measure reward v. effort -- especially if you have a 5x grocery card. Also, there's something extremely satisfying about having the pump price change to something like 19 cents.

Hopefully, we'll get a new offer soon. I did just load a couple of AMEX offers for $5 off $30 at Royal Farms (offer expires April 30). The thing to do is go inside the store and buy $30 gift cards to use as needed at the pumps. It sure ain't 19 cent gas, but at least it feels better than paying full price.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:20 am

5/1 through 5/14 -- 4X points on "participating gift cards." Ad shows pictures of TJMaxx, Marshalls, Payless, Spafinder, Olive Garden, ihop, applebees, sephora, jcp, itunes. Fine print says that Visa and Mastercard are excluded.

Didn't the fine print exclude Amex in the past? I doubt Amex is included this time around, as it is not specifically pictured, but who knows.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:04 pm

5/1 through 5/14 -- 4X points on "participating gift cards." Ad shows pictures of TJMaxx, Marshalls, Payless, Spafinder, Olive Garden, ihop, applebees, sephora, jcp, itunes. Fine print says that Visa and Mastercard are excluded.

Didn't the fine print exclude Amex in the past? I doubt Amex is included this time around, as it is not specifically pictured, but who knows.
what gift cards are included? Has anyone tried? Thanks
Old May 1, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Probably the cards the ad shows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.