Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 5, 16, 12:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Chelski
Wiki Link
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 4, 14, 1:31 pm
  #1696  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by jan_believes View Post
Rather than fill up my rental car at the Exxon near Dulles, would love to have my gas bought already. But, need a bit of help, please.


OK, go to Giant, ask for rewards card, got it.

Now is there a 3-4x points for GCs in effect right now? If so, what cards? Variable to $500 GCs or branded cards (like Lowes, Shell, etc) or both?

Please advise, thanks!
Promotion ending today. Nothing active for this weekend AFAIK.
dawhipsaw is offline  
Old Dec 5, 14, 7:50 pm
  #1697  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,771
My town's weekly supermarket circulars show up in my mailbox on Fridays, when most of the weekly sales start. I looked today to see if -- like last year -- there were ANY good X-mas season gift card offers. There weren't: all of the deals were modest and not "game-able" for folks want to buy the Visa/Mastercards. Like one store (I think it was Safeway) would give you $10 in groceries if you bought $100 in gift cards but, if you bought Visas/MCs, you could only buy the $25 and $50 denominations. Another store would make a $5 "charitable donation" if you bought $100 in gift cards.

Seems like somebody at the gift card companies has figured out that these promos can be "abused." I won't be surprised if the Giant/Stop & Shop deals are a thing of the past.
iahphx is offline  
Old Dec 6, 14, 8:29 am
  #1698  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 36
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
My town's weekly supermarket circulars show up in my mailbox on Fridays, when most of the weekly sales start. I looked today to see if -- like last year -- there were ANY good X-mas season gift card offers. There weren't: all of the deals were modest and not "game-able" for folks want to buy the Visa/Mastercards. Like one store (I think it was Safeway) would give you $10 in groceries if you bought $100 in gift cards but, if you bought Visas/MCs, you could only buy the $25 and $50 denominations. Another store would make a $5 "charitable donation" if you bought $100 in gift cards.

Seems like somebody at the gift card companies has figured out that these promos can be "abused." I won't be surprised if the Giant/Stop & Shop deals are a thing of the past.
Shoprite gives $15 per plus card if you buy any $100 or more GC exclude ShopRite GC. They use your Shoprite Plus Card to track it so even you got 2 certificates only the first one works. I bought $500 Visa GC for MS cost me $5.95 but gain $15 GC plus 3000 Hilton points. Today is the last and you have to use it from 12/7 - 12/13 and you have to buy at least $15
haipham2014 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 14, 9:16 am
  #1699  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by haipham2014 View Post
Shoprite gives $15 per plus card if you buy any $100 or more GC exclude ShopRite GC. They use your Shoprite Plus Card to track it so even you got 2 certificates only the first one works. I bought $500 Visa GC for MS cost me $5.95 but gain $15 GC plus 3000 Hilton points. Today is the last and you have to use it from 12/7 - 12/13 and you have to buy at least $15
Your Shoprite lets you buy GCs?
Membersince2013 is offline  
Old Dec 6, 14, 9:34 am
  #1700  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PHL based
Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by Membersince2013 View Post
Your Shoprite lets you buy GCs?
I can confirm mine do (NJ outside Philly). Limit to 1 per day, $500 max. Mixed messages if the $5.95 fee has to be paid with cash/debit (I've had both, by the same manager at different times). Limit is soft, i.e. not hard coded into register, but all CSR's know there is a 1/day limit. which means am/pm trip to same store, or schlepping to multiple stores. not very scaleable...
jiffyjiff is offline  
Old Dec 7, 14, 1:04 pm
  #1701  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 36
Originally Posted by Membersince2013 View Post
Your Shoprite lets you buy GCs?
Yes I bought GC by credit card twice. The first one $100 JC Penney GC with $20 promotion on Saturday 11/29. The second one I bought $500 Visa GC for $15 promotion and this time the cashier had to call in someone to key in and asked me for ID.
haipham2014 is offline  
Old Dec 10, 14, 7:53 pm
  #1702  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 65
I had my wife pick up some gift cards at a giant in KOP area tonight and the CS desk said they had 3 people come in and purchase gc with stolen credit cards in the past week. They prevented the one guy but the other two got away with it. They had to call up the manager to process the transaction for my wife. I'm sure this happens all the time but hopefully it doesn't kill buying gc with cc at giant anytime soon
zsnyder821 is offline  
Old Dec 10, 14, 8:11 pm
  #1703  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by jiffyjiff View Post
I can confirm mine do (NJ outside Philly). Limit to 1 per day, $500 max. Mixed messages if the $5.95 fee has to be paid with cash/debit (I've had both, by the same manager at different times). Limit is soft, i.e. not hard coded into register, but all CSR's know there is a 1/day limit. which means am/pm trip to same store, or schlepping to multiple stores. not very scaleable...
Originally Posted by haipham2014 View Post
Yes I bought GC by credit card twice. The first one $100 JC Penney GC with $20 promotion on Saturday 11/29. The second one I bought $500 Visa GC for $15 promotion and this time the cashier had to call in someone to key in and asked me for ID.
Thanks JiffyJiff! I'll drive through NJ on my way back tomorrow and fine some Shoprite stores. Variety is key...That's what i'm trying to achieve here.

Halpham, i should have specifically said Visa or MasterCard...sorry, my mistake.
Membersince2013 is offline  
Old Dec 11, 14, 10:52 am
  #1704  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,771
Originally Posted by zsnyder821 View Post
I had my wife pick up some gift cards at a giant in KOP area tonight and the CS desk said they had 3 people come in and purchase gc with stolen credit cards in the past week. They prevented the one guy but the other two got away with it. They had to call up the manager to process the transaction for my wife. I'm sure this happens all the time but hopefully it doesn't kill buying gc with cc at giant anytime soon
Yeah, it seems strange to us ("like isn't EVERYBODY buying gift cards for the benefits"), but it does seem like it's still pretty rare -- and that a material percentage of large gift card transactions ARE fraudulent. One of my Staples managers told me that there are only "a few of you guys we can trust," and that most of the other people who try to buy them are crooks! I've always thought she was paranoid, but maybe I underestimate the incidence of fraud. I do know that when I go to a grocery store, the cashiers and other patrons within earshot are often startled when I buy a $500 gift card. If I buy 2, you'd think I was making a million dollar purchase. BTW, they almost always think that I'm buying them as a gift: so I constantly get comments like "Wow -- you're going to make somebody very happy." So the idea that there are credit card benefits that you can get from buying gift cards (much less gas points) is something known to only a tiny, tiny percentage of the population. Probably 99% of the population thinks gift cards are for, well, gifts!
iahphx is offline  
Old Dec 11, 14, 12:23 pm
  #1705  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 184
The most common comment I get is, "Can you be my friend?"
Peridot83 is offline  
Old Dec 15, 14, 3:31 pm
  #1706  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11
-bump-
rdny7955 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 14, 7:35 pm
  #1707  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 236
Gift Cards at Grocery stores

YMMV at Shop rite's in upstate NY. One allows at least 2 VGC purchases at 1x. I am only there 1x per week. The manager used to call in to get approval, and then handed me back my Id and went to purchase at register with groceries. He did that 3 weeks in a row. Now they just tell me it's ok to check out w/o him calling. The Shop rite in Danbury Ct (huge)and other Shoprites does not even sell GC.or don't allow CC. Also Hannaford in Upstate NY will sell VGC with CC. And I received all the SRite rewards.. 20.00 on Black Friday weekend for buying 100.00 VGC and 15.00 the following week for buying 100.00 VGC also. Have 2 cards =70.00. But you have to bring receipt and use the following week.
barrytuneup is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 4:57 am
  #1708  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Yeah, it seems strange to us ("like isn't EVERYBODY buying gift cards for the benefits"), but it does seem like it's still pretty rare -- and that a material percentage of large gift card transactions ARE fraudulent. One of my Staples managers told me that there are only "a few of you guys we can trust," and that most of the other people who try to buy them are crooks! I've always thought she was paranoid, but maybe I underestimate the incidence of fraud. I do know that when I go to a grocery store, the cashiers and other patrons within earshot are often startled when I buy a $500 gift card. If I buy 2, you'd think I was making a million dollar purchase. BTW, they almost always think that I'm buying them as a gift: so I constantly get comments like "Wow -- you're going to make somebody very happy." So the idea that there are credit card benefits that you can get from buying gift cards (much less gas points) is something known to only a tiny, tiny percentage of the population. Probably 99% of the population thinks gift cards are for, well, gifts!
I tell them exactly what its for, if they ask. I usually hand every cashier my card and I.D. Some just glance at it, while others don't even look. I had this lady say "You handed your I.D before i even asked, its okay, i dont have to see it anymore" lol. I build relationships from store to store. At this point, they all know me and they know exactly how much i'm there to get. Managers know me well and understand that i'm not trying to scam their store. It's always good to be friendly...Noooowww, money orders are a totally different animal lol.
Membersince2013 is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 8:10 am
  #1709  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Posts: 285
Originally Posted by Membersince2013 View Post
I tell them exactly what its for, if they ask. I usually hand every cashier my card and I.D. Some just glance at it, while others don't even look. I had this lady say "You handed your I.D before i even asked, its okay, i dont have to see it anymore" lol. I build relationships from store to store. At this point, they all know me and they know exactly how much i'm there to get. Managers know me well and understand that i'm not trying to scam their store. It's always good to be friendly...Noooowww, money orders are a totally different animal lol.
Completely Agree
I would like to make the cashier comfortable , no confrontation or argument ever.
Some time even though i know that limit is higher than cashier willing to let me purchase , i just accept and get what is proposed.
Whenever asked , i just tell them exact reason , most of them understand but few may not have clue , but it works.
Again i am not big in MS , i do only when i get some free time to deal with Wally .
Cheers
ATWBY2020 is offline  
Old Dec 17, 14, 11:34 am
  #1710  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 647
Originally Posted by barrytuneup View Post
YMMV at Shop rite's in upstate NY. One allows at least 2 VGC purchases at 1x. I am only there 1x per week. The manager used to call in to get approval, and then handed me back my Id and went to purchase at register with groceries. He did that 3 weeks in a row. Now they just tell me it's ok to check out w/o him calling. The Shop rite in Danbury Ct (huge)and other Shoprites does not even sell GC.or don't allow CC. Also Hannaford in Upstate NY will sell VGC with CC. And I received all the SRite rewards.. 20.00 on Black Friday weekend for buying 100.00 VGC and 15.00 the following week for buying 100.00 VGC also. Have 2 cards =70.00. But you have to bring receipt and use the following week.
Shoprite in West Hartford, Manchester and Glastonbury all in CT all sell GC accepting CC.
gw14 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread