Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 5, 16, 12:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Chelski
Wiki Link
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 14, 14, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff View Post
Most likely store specific. I picked up $1.5k y'day without issue at a different store.
Same. If you want even more inconsistency, try (or don't try) Acme. Within a 3 mile radius of my house, I have three different Acmes: one will sell all gift cards (except Green Dots, Reloadits, etc. which are hardcoded) on CC, one says cash only any amount, and one says cash only over $100.
Old Nov 14, 14, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by drdobro View Post
Saw the Stop & Shop (Conn.) flyer today for Nov. 14-20.

4X gas points on several gift cards: Aeropostale, Bass Pro, Regal Cinema, Macaroni Grill, Legal Seafoods, Cracker Barrel, TGI Friday's, LL Bean, I-tunes.

Amex, MC, Visa and Stop & Shop gift cards specifically excluded.
FYI, no gas points for RL -- I tried today -- just in case anyone was wondering.
Old Nov 14, 14, 12:07 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
You never get points for RL unless they are running a promo on ALL GC's, which has been rare.
Old Nov 14, 14, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ronnyk View Post
Same. If you want even more inconsistency, try (or don't try) Acme. Within a 3 mile radius of my house, I have three different Acmes: one will sell all gift cards (except Green Dots, Reloadits, etc. which are hardcoded) on CC, one says cash only any amount, and one says cash only over $100.
Interesting. I buy gift cards infrequently at Acme, but I've bought from several different ones without a problem.

BTW, after Giant PA turned me down, I went across the street and bought a couple at SuperFresh. They acted like it was the largest transaction they'd ever seen (it was only $1000 -- I was kind of afraid to try for more), but they did it with manger's approval.

I have gotten inconsistent results at Pathmark (one yes, one no).
Old Nov 15, 14, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Interesting. I buy gift cards infrequently at Acme, but I've bought from several different ones without a problem.

BTW, after Giant PA turned me down, I went across the street and bought a couple at SuperFresh. They acted like it was the largest transaction they'd ever seen (it was only $1000 -- I was kind of afraid to try for more), but they did it with manger's approval.

I have gotten inconsistent results at Pathmark (one yes, one no).
I am not sure what you need GC for but at Simon Mall such as Montgomery Mall, King of Prussia Mall, you can buy Simon Visa Gift Card issued by Metabank and cost only $2.95 with CC. I have been buying them for MS.
Old Nov 15, 14, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by haipham2014 View Post
I am not sure what you need GC for but at Simon Mall such as Montgomery Mall, King of Prussia Mall, you can buy Simon Visa Gift Card issued by Metabank and cost only $2.95 with CC. I have been buying them for MS.
You are missing the gas points + you are not going to get 5% buying from mall.
Old Nov 16, 14, 8:20 am

What is the highest denomination one can obtain a Simon Mall gift card for?
Old Nov 16, 14, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103 View Post
What is the highest denomination one can obtain a Simon Mall gift card for?
$500 and cost $2.95
Old Nov 17, 14, 4:54 am

On a couponing forum, folks are reporting that all gift cards (other than amex, visa, mc, giant) are generating 4x gas points. Someone reported seeing a sign to that effect, and there were also multiple reports that amazon gcs generated 4x points. End date was reported to be 12/4.
Old Nov 17, 14, 5:22 am

$500 and cost $2.95
Excellent!
Old Nov 17, 14, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234 View Post
On a couponing forum, folks are reporting that all gift cards (other than amex, visa, mc, giant) are generating 4x gas points. Someone reported seeing a sign to that effect, and there were also multiple reports that amazon gcs generated 4x points. End date was reported to be 12/4.
Interesting -- especially if you were about to spend the money at that merchant anyway. Which coupon site has the discussion?

The problem, though, is that to make this worthwhile for the type of person reading this forum (like me ), you probably need to buy $500 worth of gift cards to generate $2/gallon off gas. At most, that $500 gift card purchase would generate $70 worth of gas. It's good, but unless you're a very frequent Amazon user or something, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I like buying the visas and immediately turning them back into cash.
Old Nov 17, 14, 10:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234 View Post
Giant PA or Giant MD (Landover)?
Old Nov 17, 14, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by ctbarron View Post
Giant PA or Giant MD (Landover)?
PA. Confirmed on the signage as well at 2 stores. I tried a bunch of different visa & mcs just to check but no points.
Old Nov 17, 14, 11:17 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
I can confirm I got 4X points at Giant PA yesterday on Amazon.
Old Nov 17, 14, 1:57 pm
TPP

Programs: DL, US, AA
How are Amazon cards used for MS?

Search this Thread