Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:38 pm

I got 3x points today on the last variable on the rack.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Either management pulled all of the variable visas from stores in my area, or there are some extremely inconsiderate/rude MSers.

Went to 3 S&S today, and bare racks except for one that was full of restaurant gift cards instead of variable, so I relocated them. I checked inventory a few days ago and the racks had good supply over 50% full.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Deleted
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:07 pm

Is it Visa which supposed to start on 10/19 or any ??

Thanks

Originally Posted by iahphx
Lots of cards at my local Giant (Landover) today. The wedding cake card rang up fine. I did $2500 (aka, more than 3 fill-ups) at the service desk. The employee wrote down my name and info. Is there any belief that they do anything with this stuff? I just thought it was easier than doing multiple smaller transactions at the registers and possibly triggering a fraud alert.

Personally, this is the most fuel I can realistically use in a month. I'm not going to be piggy. I'll reload the rest of my BB with other cards. If I have time, I might buy a couple more on the last day of the sale to extend my free gas period.
Originally Posted by fangtl
I got 3x points today on the last variable on the rack.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Either management pulled all of the variable visas from stores in my area, or there are some extremely inconsiderate/rude MSers.

Went to 3 S&S today, and bare racks except for one that was full of restaurant gift cards instead of variable, so I relocated them. I checked inventory a few days ago and the racks had good supply over 50% full.
Medford Fellsway still had a good supply this morning. Medford Salem St was out, but they said they'd order more for Thursday.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by ronnyk
Did you actually get the 3x points? It appears from the information given that this would not be going into effect until 10/19.
I got 3x at S&S this morning.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UserMark
Medford Fellsway still had a good supply this morning. Medford Salem St was out, but they said they'd order more for Thursday.
Thanks. Probably not worth the drive for me since I'm in Marlboro area, but there is one more I'll try tomorrow that isn't too far and report back.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by bushe
I got 3x at S&S this morning.
Just purchased VGCs at a Philly area Giant. No points given, so it looks like not until Sunday for these Giants.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Got $5K today for 15k points at a Landover Giant. There was a guy in front of me buying $2K with a BCP but from our conversation he didn't appear to be an MSer, he just wanted the gas points.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ronnyk
Did you actually get the 3x points? It appears from the information given that this would not be going into effect until 10/19.
The weeklu sales circular starts on different days of the week in different cities, so go online and check the circular for your town. I did notice that, in previous gift card promos, the gc points promo lasted for longer than the store's normal 7-day sale period (say, Friday to Friday). I thought that was to accommodate the various circular start dates around the chain. This time, though, it seems like they are limiting the promo to your individual store's 7-day sales window.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:43 pm

Hey guys,
Not new to MS here but I haven't posted on flyer talk so I thought this would be a good time to chime in. I went into S&S today and received 3x points for visa gift cards. I live in MA, so if someone needs a location with cards in stock, let me know. I know a few locations north and south of Boston that have a decent inventory of variable visas. Has anyone ran into a problem with an attendant when you were filling up more than one car at the same time?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by yoyo
looks like 3X gas points for MB Visa coming back this week 10-17 through 10-23.
Originally Posted by TJtv
How do you find this out?
Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
Try googling "stop shop ad 10/17"
Originally Posted by zsnyder821
also thanks. I'm going to look into one of those, not a fan standing there holding up 6 gallons of gas for what seems like an eternity.

also saw Giant of PA has the 3x on visa giftcards as well from 10/19-10/25
Originally Posted by fletchbo
Thanks for the notice! But where did you discover the 10/19 - 10/25 promo, 3X Visa points, as the Giant circular is not mailed until Thursdays (tomorrow) in my area of PA. I searched online and found nothing.
Originally Posted by zsnyder821
forthemommas.com. they upload the giant ad every tuesday night/wednesday morning for the following week.
Just a PSA to READ THE THREAD when it comes to the promotions. And really, know your area. Giant of Carlisle promos start on Sunday, so if it seems weird that one starts mid-week (like S&S or Giant-Landover), then it's probably not for your area. ronnyk, it sucks that you went early and didn't receive points, but it was brutally clear from the thread when the promos were starting.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by mh1361
Just a PSA to READ THE THREAD when it comes to the promotions. And really, know your area. Giant of Carlisle promos start on Sunday, so if it seems weird that one starts mid-week (like S&S or Giant-Landover), then it's probably not for your area. ronnyk, it sucks that you went early and didn't receive points, but it was brutally clear from the thread when the promos were starting.
Nah, doesn't suck-- I do $2K almost every day so it was more a pointer/observation than a gripe. No worries-- I'll get my gas points tomorrow, and Monday and Tuesday, etc.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by JJLeahy47
Hey guys,
Not new to MS here but I haven't posted on flyer talk so I thought this would be a good time to chime in. I went into S&S today and received 3x points for visa gift cards. I live in MA, so if someone needs a location with cards in stock, let me know. I know a few locations north and south of Boston that have a decent inventory of variable visas. Has anyone ran into a problem with an attendant when you were filling up more than one car at the same time?
Hey nice first post. I've never had a problem filling two cars. With three I feel a little awkward. I drive a Prius so can only use nine gallons there. I go to shells and they are familiar and don't care. Might be higher chance of them minding at the s and s stations. My closest station is not self serve so I give the attendant a small tip per car. The regular attendant is only allowed to piggyback on Sunday when its not busy so I try to let him know when I will be coming on a Sunday and he PB's.

Anyone know what happens if you go over 35 gallons? Sometimes I let my brother in law and his gas guzzling gf use my number and she claims its no problem to go over. But I fear maybe it eats another 2200 points?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by GoGreen
Hey nice first post. I've never had a problem filling two cars. With three I feel a little awkward. I drive a Prius so can only use nine gallons there. I go to shells and they are familiar and don't care. Might be higher chance of them minding at the s and s stations. My closest station is not self serve so I give the attendant a small tip per car. The regular attendant is only allowed to piggyback on Sunday when its not busy so I try to let him know when I will be coming on a Sunday and he PB's.

Anyone know what happens if you go over 35 gallons? Sometimes I let my brother in law and his gas guzzling gf use my number and she claims its no problem to go over. But I fear maybe it eats another 2200 points?
May be silly question
Assuming 3X like points yield tons of points
What you folks do the points you may not able to use before expire ??

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.