Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Can I use bluebird to emulate "purchase" at a POS on my VISA debit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I use bluebird to emulate "purchase" at a POS on my VISA debit card?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Question Can I use bluebird to emulate "purchase" at a POS on my VISA debit card?

My bank waives the monthly account fee if I use its VISA debit card at a POS more than 15 times a month.

Valid POS purchases can be done by swiping it as "credit" (signature) or with "PIN".

Can I use bluebird to emulate such a "purchase" so that the bank would count it as one at a POS?

In other words, will these debit loads be treated as signature purchases by my (the issuing) bank?

I really would like to load $1 into my bluebird account thrice a week to reach the "15 times a month" limit.

Is this going to be an issue on the bluebird side? I don't want to get suspended or shutdown for something that otherwise takes me atmost 10 minutes at the gas station
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.
Why don't you try and report back? No sarcasm or flaming intended.
This would be a great way to get involved on FT and contribute.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:37 pm

I use AP for this. My bank requires 12 transactions a month. AP is perfect for doing small transactions.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cyclotron
I use AP for this. My bank requires 12 transactions a month. AP is perfect for doing small transactions.
That is an option I have been considering too - just that I have TWO such accounts + I have head cases of AMZN closing down accounts for loading using "debit" gift cards (perhaps they will not flag real debit cards?)

I just wanted to know how BB would be with this: that way I can spread ~35 swipes a month across AP and BB.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Why don't you just find a bank that doesn't bother you pointless swipe requirements?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by augustus21
Why don't you just find a bank that doesn't bother you pointless swipe requirements?
... because this account pays 4.01% APY
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by astudentinus
I really would like to load $1 into my bluebird account thrice a week to reach the "15 times a month" limit.
I believe if you're reloading at the POS there is a $20 minimum load- at least that's the verbiage on the money center kiosk.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by TravelsLite
I believe if you're reloading at the POS there is a $20 minimum load- at least that's the verbiage on the money center kiosk.
$20 is minimum <- OP's problem with his plan.
Other than that shall work as PIN (debit) transaction.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:57 pm

What Bank Pays 4%

Okay, I'll bite. What bank pays 4 percent?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:00 pm

http://www.glcu.org/ultimatechecking is an example of a 4% account. But it looks to me like their credit union membership requirements are now stricter than they used to be.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:21 am

That is a lot of trips to Walmart and waiting in line at kiosk or checkout (perhaps checkout would allow $1 load?). I have done tons of debit cards on several AP accounts and no problem. I do this with three chase accounts as well for over a year now. 5 purchases needed for each, each month. Much easier to do this on AP then the Bluebird method. BB is good for large amounts since it can do $5K but it is a lot more time than a couple clicks on AP at home.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ted King
Okay, I'll bite. What bank pays 4 percent?
Many small US banks and credit unions offer an account which pays above market interest. The balance on which they will pay the promotional rate is capped, typically at $25,000, and they create a set of eligibility hurdles. These may include a requirement to open the account in person, mandatory direct deposits, and a minimum number of debit card transactions.

See here: http://www.money-rates.com/rewardschecking.htm

Previous discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...t-do-100k.html

Last edited by mia; Aug 8, 2013 at 8:47 am
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:41 pm

Why not just purchase small denomination Amazon electronic gift cards and send them to yourself? $0.15 is the minimum gift card amount.
You'd end up with $2.25 in amazon credit. If you're anything like me (and probably most people) you won't have any problem finding something to buy.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by astudentinus
... because this account pays 4.01% APY
Put the money into a dividend-paying mutual fund. While not as safe as an FDIC-insured bank account, many of these are considered to be pretty secure and pay 4% consistently.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:16 am

Kudos to Astudentinus for use of the word "thrice." It's one of my favorites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.