Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. Example: This thread... I know, the first few posts are confusing.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is "legal."

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

a helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS:
I will speak to only the impacts and actions that have been taken (or threatened) to me personally over the years

1. Account closure - always got my money back. Moderate frequency. Little to no long-term impact UNLESS my wife was the first one to find out when her card was declined in public setting

2. Blacklisted by an FI - lower frequency. Short- to medium term impact. Eventually the FI's greed heals all wounds.

3. Blacklisted by a governmental agency -- lower frequency. Variable long-term impact as governmental agencies never actually forget, they just don't take action (see below)

4. Banned from a retail establishment -- threatened, but never actually banned. Mostly just pointed discussion from a misguided manager. Low-medium frequency.

5. Banned from an online establishment -- lower frequency, generally lower impact. Generally permanent, at least for me so far.

6. Cashback forfeited or clawed back -- generally happened to me as part of a credit card shut down. so far only forfeits and not clawbacks, but they are possible

And then there are the things law enforcement can and has done
1. Executed a warrant to subpoena my banking and other financial records without my knowledge
2. Contacted my FIs to inquire as the nature of my financial relationship
3. Frozen the portion of my assets that were currently involved in the activity they were investigating
4. Visited my home -- when I was not there -- to "interview" my spouse, etc. regarding their knowledge and involvement ... and to attempt to obtain additional documentation not already obtained by the subpoenas
5. Threatened to seize my assets. Not just the ones frozen. Not just those I currently possessed. But all assets they deemed as ever having been part of the criminal activity. (Think every GC, MO, etc. you have purchased over the past 3-5 years)
6. Threatened one or more felony charges. (Consider having to explain THAT to your wife or boss.)

And that all was for something that was completely legal, once the 'splaining was done.

Of course once LEO opens a criminal investigation, it never actually closes unless they take you to court and fail. So even though I was cleared of the charges, the original case file is out there ready to be dusted off.

In the end, my biggest concern is the extent to which something will permanently impact my marriage or ability to enter into financial contracts (felony charges would be one example). Fortunately once the initial shock of LEO's investigation wore away, both my marriage and financial relationships were intact. Very thankful both she and a few key FI's stood by me.

When you MS, you are running with scissors.
Take what you read with a grain of salt. No law enforcement agency cares if you are loading 5k to a bluebird per month unless you are loading your money from illegal activities like crack sales. Even at that point they only care about your crack sales, not your bluebird load.

Nobody is going to ask you "why are you loading your bluebird" or "where did you get the money you want to load on your bluebird" when you go to walmart.
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by elitefusion
I have dabbed in reading this MS forum, but I am still unsure/unclear of how the whole Serve thing works. Would really appreciate if someone would post a DIY for dummies (like myself lol)
The Serve thread has a good wiki.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by smoothmunkey
The Serve thread has a good wiki.
Alright, so if I were to use Serve Soft Card to load up:
Online Credit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month

I load up the card 3 times a month to total up $1,500, the money is then on the serve, I can just withdraw the money from the serve account as cash?

If we cannot purchase VR and other cards on CC anymore, kind of defeats the purpose?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Great post indeed.
I do have a question though. I do know that AP is done with pretty much and you mentioned having 4 AP accounts, would you add that 1 card that you get to all 4 account and send it A > B, B > C, C > D, D > A all from 1 card, or did you get 4 AU for each of those AP accounts?

I just did my last 2 AP transactions by adding same card to both accounts as a final desperate measure. Looks like it went through and both temp charges posted to CC and both transactions completed in AP, so hopefully all will go smooth since I have a $5K goal to hit

I have dabbed in reading this MS forum, but I am still unsure/unclear of how the whole Serve thing works. Would really appreciate if someone would post a DIY for dummies (like myself lol)
Normally, I would advise against adding the same card with the same name to multiple accounts, especially if you're paying each other. I did with my Ink Plus, in this case, because AP is dying in 3 days anyway. I only did A > B and B > A, though, because the 3rd and 4th AP accounts belong to my parents and I wasn't going to use their accounts for my card.

As another stated, check out the Serve thread. It has a comprehensive Wiki. Be careful of changes in motion at Serve, though. Give it a few days to see what happens before you dive in.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by roki
Normally, I would advise against adding the same card with the same name to multiple accounts, especially if you're paying each other. I did with my Ink Plus, in this case, because AP is dying in 3 days anyway. I only did A > B and B > A, though, because the 3rd and 4th AP accounts belong to my parents and I wasn't going to use their accounts for my card.

As another stated, check out the Serve thread. It has a comprehensive Wiki. Be careful of changes in motion at Serve, though. Give it a few days to see what happens before you dive in.
Yep same exact thing I did this morning lol
As for the Serve, I am downloading the softcard app now, so you suggest I hold off for now?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:59 pm

Yep same exact thing I did this morning lol
As for the Serve, I am downloading the softcard app now, so you suggest I hold off for now?
check you inbox for some tips.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:10 am

Alright, so if I were to use Serve Soft Card to load up:
Online Credit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month

I load up the card 3 times a month to total up $1,500, the money is then on the serve, I can just withdraw the money from the serve account as cash?

If we cannot purchase VR and other cards on CC anymore, kind of defeats the purpose?
Careful. Some cards are posting as CA. Who says you can't purchase other cards to load? That's not true. DO NOT JUST LOAD WITHDRAW. You'll get shut down.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:41 am

Where is info on the class action lawsuit for stores refusing debit cards?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Careful. Some cards are posting as CA. Who says you can't purchase other cards to load? That's not true. DO NOT JUST LOAD WITHDRAW. You'll get shut down.
So what would be the best way to unload?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:11 pm

So what would be the best way to unload?
B/P, send money to F&F, use it for contactless payment for $1 and up purchases and you'll be credited $1 back by SC. You're likely safe if there's different activities going on in your account rather than just load and w/d.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by jedinkel
Where is info on the class action lawsuit for stores refusing debit cards?
Why are you asking?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by ZzzzX
YMMV on shutdown. I've been loading and withdrawing for over a year.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:50 am

Liquidating Vanilla Visa

Serve Loads
Walmart Money center register does not work. Doesn't have the kiosk at this one.
Family dollar does not allow loading through gift cards.

Now any other suggestions.
Any other ways to load serve or should I just try money orders?

Thanks,

Last edited by kay11; Oct 14, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by kay11
Liquidating Vanilla Visa

Serve Loads
Walmart Money center register does not work. Doesn't have the kiosk at this one.
Family dollar does not allow loading through gift cards.

Now any other suggestions.
Any other ways to load serve or should I just try money orders?

Thanks,
try buying MO with GC, you just have to keep looking for that store that allows GC as payment. each area/state is different so if you travel, you have more chances of finding MS friendly towns/cities like WMs with Kates,MC and registers that can load GCs to BB/Serve, of which there's still plenty around. Good luck!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:45 pm

With Amazon Payments out, what can use?

I do not have the BlueBird option. It was a mess/disaster.

What else is out there?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
MS newbie here - quick question

Hello everyone,
So I went my local CVS with my newly received chase ink card (the 70k offer) and I went to buy four one vanilla visa debit gift cards. I read that it wouldn't work but I tried anyway and it worked. $2000 for four cards.

So I the. Head to Walmart to get some money orders and when I ask for a $1000 money order, the lady then says she will no let me purchase with a gift card. I told her it was a debit but she says I'm not supposed to do that.

I try another wal mart and the charge kept coming up as a credit even after I selected debit > entered a pin etc.

So now I have these four cards...what's the best next move for me?

I applied for an amex serve and it'll arrive within a few days. Can't I pay off my chase ink via my amex serve?

If so then I can load money in it from my chase ink or do the family dollar scenario.

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.