Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. Example: This thread... I know, the first few posts are confusing.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is "legal."

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

a helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS:
I will speak to only the impacts and actions that have been taken (or threatened) to me personally over the years

1. Account closure - always got my money back. Moderate frequency. Little to no long-term impact UNLESS my wife was the first one to find out when her card was declined in public setting

2. Blacklisted by an FI - lower frequency. Short- to medium term impact. Eventually the FI's greed heals all wounds.

3. Blacklisted by a governmental agency -- lower frequency. Variable long-term impact as governmental agencies never actually forget, they just don't take action (see below)

4. Banned from a retail establishment -- threatened, but never actually banned. Mostly just pointed discussion from a misguided manager. Low-medium frequency.

5. Banned from an online establishment -- lower frequency, generally lower impact. Generally permanent, at least for me so far.

6. Cashback forfeited or clawed back -- generally happened to me as part of a credit card shut down. so far only forfeits and not clawbacks, but they are possible

And then there are the things law enforcement can and has done
1. Executed a warrant to subpoena my banking and other financial records without my knowledge
2. Contacted my FIs to inquire as the nature of my financial relationship
3. Frozen the portion of my assets that were currently involved in the activity they were investigating
4. Visited my home -- when I was not there -- to "interview" my spouse, etc. regarding their knowledge and involvement ... and to attempt to obtain additional documentation not already obtained by the subpoenas
5. Threatened to seize my assets. Not just the ones frozen. Not just those I currently possessed. But all assets they deemed as ever having been part of the criminal activity. (Think every GC, MO, etc. you have purchased over the past 3-5 years)
6. Threatened one or more felony charges. (Consider having to explain THAT to your wife or boss.)

And that all was for something that was completely legal, once the 'splaining was done.

Of course once LEO opens a criminal investigation, it never actually closes unless they take you to court and fail. So even though I was cleared of the charges, the original case file is out there ready to be dusted off.

In the end, my biggest concern is the extent to which something will permanently impact my marriage or ability to enter into financial contracts (felony charges would be one example). Fortunately once the initial shock of LEO's investigation wore away, both my marriage and financial relationships were intact. Very thankful both she and a few key FI's stood by me.

When you MS, you are running with scissors.
Take what you read with a grain of salt. No law enforcement agency cares if you are loading 5k to a bluebird per month unless you are loading your money from illegal activities like crack sales. Even at that point they only care about your crack sales, not your bluebird load.

Nobody is going to ask you "why are you loading your bluebird" or "where did you get the money you want to load on your bluebird" when you go to walmart.
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
KennyBSAT -thank you!!!
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:16 pm

Forgive me in advance if I missed something. I really did read thru the wiki and didn't find my answer, so here goes: I pre-pay for a Vanilla Reload at a retailer. That part I get.
But on the back of the Vanilla Reload card, it says for me to go to vanillareload.com to "apply my funds." I want to apply my funds into my Bluebird, so why are they sending me to the VR site? Is that just a first step, and from there I can get the funds into my BB?
Thanks
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Forgive me in advance if I missed something. I really did read thru the wiki and didn't find my answer, so here goes: I pre-pay for a Vanilla Reload at a retailer. That part I get.
But on the back of the Vanilla Reload card, it says for me to go to vanillareload.com to "apply my funds." I want to apply my funds into my Bluebird, so why are they sending me to the VR site? Is that just a first step, and from there I can get the funds into my BB?
Thanks
That's because you go to the VR site, plug in your BB card info and your money is deposited into the Bluebird.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:29 pm

Thanks, f0xx. It looks like the first step on the VR site is to scratch off the back of card and then enter the card's 10-digit pin.
After I do that, then the next step is it asks me for my BB account number?...or something simple like that?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:37 pm

Thanks, f0xx. It looks like the first step on the VR site is to scratch off the back of card and then enter the card's 10-digit pin.
After I do that, then the next step is it asks me for my BB account number?...or something simple like that?
Yep. Just go to the site, should give you all the instructions.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
This may be the go-to classic example of "spoon feeding" we have documented..

F0xx is being very nice!
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by grayland

F0xx is being very nice!
I agree. If you are new to this, please read around or PM someone directly. For this information on VRs, there is plenty of direction on the Vanilla site and on blogs.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by grayland

F0xx is being very nice!
This is the "be nice" thread.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by f0xx
This is the "be nice" thread.
I knew there was a reason why I didn't like this thread...
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
I agree. If you are new to this, please read around or PM someone directly. For this information on VRs, there is plenty of direction on the Vanilla site and on blogs.
I respectfully disagree with your claim of plenty of direction on the Vanilla site. There is absolutely zero information on the V site about how to get your $ into BB specifically. Thus I am here, asking the help of my forum colleagues. As the wiki says from day one, don't dive into MS without reading all the posts and asking lots of questions. P.s. what's wrong with a 'nice thread' now and then.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I respectfully disagree with your claim of plenty of direction on the Vanilla site. There is absolutely zero information on the V site about how to get your $ into BB specifically. Thus I am here, asking the help of my forum colleagues. As the wiki says from day one, don't dive into MS without reading all the posts and asking lots of questions. P.s. what's wrong with a 'nice thread' now and then.
There are people who are just too lazy to read threads before jumping in. Then we get people posting, "I stopped by the USPS twice this week to purchase MO's with my VO card and it wont go through, does anyone know why?" questions...The MS games has changed a lot in the last year so to not educate themselves before jumping in is a foolish thing to do. Asking questions before educating themselves is a foolish thing to do too.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I haven't loaded my BB with V cards but I have used other "gift cards" that I have purchased. For the gift cards I purchase, I have to call an 800 # listed on the card to get the PIN # that is associated with the card. Then you simply walk in to WM and ask to have your BB account loaded with $ from your "debit" card, don't say gift card. You hand the clerk your BB card, they swipe it, ask you how much $ you want to load, you tell them, then you swipe your "debit" card and enter your PIN #. Boom, done.

I assume the process is the same for V cards....good luck
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I haven't loaded my BB with V cards but I have used other "gift cards" that I have purchased. For the gift cards I purchase, I have to call an 800 # listed on the card to get the PIN # that is associated with the card. Then you simply walk in to WM and ask to have your BB account loaded with $ from your "debit" card, don't say gift card. You hand the clerk your BB card, they swipe it, ask you how much $ you want to load, you tell them, then you swipe your "debit" card and enter your PIN #. Boom, done.

I assume the process is the same for V cards....good luck
However, there are reports that some VGC can't not be loaded at WM and the clerks are asking to see the GC. The MS game is always changing!!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
I'm not going to publically participate in the ms forum section in the future due to a number of issues. But, I wanted to warn folks who are new to ms'ing that due to recent changes in debit cards, where and how they're accepted, and the growing lack of ways to liquidate them please be careful not to get over your head with cards that you can't find a way to liquidate them. You may see changes each week when you thought one way was safe last week and then this week it's gone. Some are now stuck with a lot of debit cards because a few ways to liquidate them have now been diminished. Many are leaving this hobby or scaling back a lot. The issues involve matters not necessarily brought on by ms'ers, but by other issues. Be careful.
Or it may change in a day. Do go slowly.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:29 pm

You missed "and on blogs." Try google and you will find some simple directions. The issue currently is buying VRs and Vanilla debit cards. The cards will not load Bluebird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.