Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: McSam18
Just an update for those of you who may be reading this thread for the 1st time... 7/11 no longer accepts C.C. for VR purchases.

Also there are people who are claiming they are still buying VR's at 7/11's, however, they are not willing to say what city they are in. I would suspect that this isn't true, since 7/11 has hard coded their cash registers to NOT accept CC for VR's, however, you can still purchase VGC with a CC.
Print Wikipost

7-11 VR purchases

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by random00b
Was visiting family in So Cal (San Gabriel Valley) over the weekend. I hit up three seven eleven's; terminal declined CC purchase for VRs for each one. Used Ink, SPG Amex, Hyatt cards.

Came back to PDX and hit up the one 7-11 that without fail allows CCs for VRs without fuss. I'd purchased as recently as last Monday; this morning, the terminal declined CC purchase. Once I removed it from the transaction, the purchase went through. Cashier told me a coding change was made last Friday at their store.
This is terrible! really don't want to hit up office stores for $200 cards. its so tedious to unload!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by onaward
Has anyone who was denied a VR tried buying a Visa GC or Vanilla Visa?
Tried today with AMEX to buy $500 vanilla GC. Worked. Failed with VR earlier today.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:21 am

Hmmm, I'm going to have to try this as well. Need to fuel the bird for rent.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:22 am

Deleted
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:21 am

Transaction declined at a previously ultra-reliable location. Tried 2 different CCs, and purchase of miscellaneous items went through just fine once the VR was removed from the transaction.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:09 am

No problem at a local 7-11 today. Purchased one card for $500 plus a few other items that brought the total to about $507. Using Ink.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
Transaction declined at a previously ultra-reliable location. Tried 2 different CCs, and purchase of miscellaneous items went through just fine once the VR was removed from the transaction.
Yeah my go-to store shut down last week. This weekend I did find 2 new locations that are in an area I frequent about once every or every other week. Hopefully they stay alive a little longer.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:28 pm

No problem for me yet again today.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by webazoid
bought two VR's in los angeles w/o any problems. do freedom purchases at 711 count as 5x?
It's 2 months in the Freedom Category bonus!

Do you really think this question hasn't been asked and answered many times over?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by evad2013
No problem for me yet again today.
Could you provide more details such as how many VR did you purchase? How often? Were the purchases at different locations or the same store? If different locations, how far apart are they? Appreciate it.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by lad2
Could you provide more details such as how many VR did you purchase? How often? Were the purchases at different locations or the same store? If different locations, how far apart are they? Appreciate it.
Certainly, they are 3 locations approximately within 15 miles of each other. I have only purchased in increments of $500 w/ ink. I sometimes buy a snack to alter the final price. When the news of failures were published I made a successful purchase yesterday and at a second location today. I hope this helps.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by rdover1
Tried today with AMEX to buy $500 vanilla GC. Worked. Failed with VR earlier today.
Tried same place gain today just to test consistency. Same result. Couldn't buy VR with Chase or AMEX.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:42 pm

To paraphrase the great Vanilla Ice, the block was dead yo, so I continued to A1A, home improvement avenue.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:10 pm

Same here, no luck purchasing a VR at any of the six 7-elevens I stopped at yesterday. Was wondering if it was varying from store-to-store, but no luck across six is enough to make me give up.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'm still running into no problems. Only time I do is when it takes 4-5 days for the charges to post from pending, 7-11 seems to be famous for batching their purchases once a week. My cards usually end up getting denied if there are 3-4 separate purchases pending on my cards. As soon as they go to posted, all is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.