Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa GC at Weis Markets = CC points + Gas Points + Free stuff

Visa GC at Weis Markets = CC points + Gas Points + Free stuff

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 18, 19, 9:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RedSun
Wiki Link
Weis Markets is a grocery chain in PA, MD, DC, VA, DE, NJ and NY. You earn Weis Reward points from shopping on grocery (1x) and pharmacy (100 points), and gift cards (2x or 4x). Reward points expire on a rolling (holiday) basis. Check your receipt and phone app.

GCs normally earn 2x or 4x Weis Reward points. Some (or most) Weis stores carry $500 GCs and now accept credit card payments for GCs. Most will check ID and verify credit cards.

You redeem Weis Reward points for grocery items and gas discount.

The gas discount is $0.10 for 100 points, up to $1.00 and 20 gallons each fill. Points can be redeemed at Weis Gas N Go, Sheetz, High's, Mirabito and Carroll Motor Fuels.

Grocery discount normally 2 items per household. Either free item or discount price per pound. You can also redeem points for 5% discount coupons.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jul 5, 13, 4:35 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 76
Visa GC at Weis Markets = CC points + Gas Points + Free stuff

If you have Weis Markets in your area (MD, NY, PA) you will want to get some Visa GC at Weis because you can get a triple benefit.

Credit Card reward points, Gas points that work at Sheetz (10 cents off per gallon per $50 spent), and they have "Spend $25 get x free" coupons in their circulars. (Note the freebie coupons are on a smaller wrap around in the Sunday paper, usually not on the circulars they have in the front of the store).

A couple weeks ago all they had were $200 Metabanks, but last night their stock had been replenished and I got a $500 variable load Metabank which netted me 1000 Barclays points, $1 off per gallon of gas, and a free 2 liter soda and a free package of 6 Italian ices.

The gas program is actually pretty good - I think you can get it down to a penny a gallon, and when you do use the points it is a 20 gallon limit.

On the downside - you can buy $200 ones without issue, but they had to fill out a form with the $500 purchase - writing down my driver's license info I think. They were very apologetic and said it was related to identity theft.
ChurnCzar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 13, 5:32 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 92
Thanks for sharing. What sunday paper are you speaking of? Do you know of any other place I can find these coupons?

I think the Sheetz deal defrays the cost of the metabank fee but you're still paying a pretty penny for 1-2x points. You save 10c per gallon and let's say you drive a medium to large size sedan that carries 13 gallons. that's about $1.30 you shave off, and that's if you have an empty tank.

It does give you more alternatives than just finding the traditional vr. Which cc are you using to buy?
Voyaging is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 13, 5:48 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 76
It was in my local paper in Maryland - I'm sure it's in tons of others.

It's 10 cents per $50 dollars spent - so your math is off. With that $500 card I got 10 cents off times 10 - which equates to $1 off per gallon, so in your scenario that is a $13 savings on a tank full.

I'm using a Barclays Rewards card at the moment - so 2x on groceries.
ChurnCzar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 13, 7:47 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 92
Is that how it works? I was under the impression that any purchase over $50 qualified for a 10c/gallon off fill max of 20 gallons. So whether it's a $50 purchase or a $2000 purchase you still only get $2 off on gas unless you split it up into multiple transactions.
Voyaging is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 13, 7:48 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHL
Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by ChurnCzar View Post
It was in my local paper in Maryland - I'm sure it's in tons of others.

It's 10 cents per $50 dollars spent - so your math is off. With that $500 card I got 10 cents off times 10 - which equates to $1 off per gallon, so in your scenario that is a $13 savings on a tank full.

I'm using a Barclays Rewards card at the moment - so 2x on groceries.
only GCs left at mine are AMEX
vinyalwhl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 13, 7:50 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHL
Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Posts: 226
Also, the fine print in my circular.

"Weis Club Card Offer valid on Boscov’s, Kohl’s and Outback gift cards only"

Not really worth it for the Kohls I would rather get 10x from UR
vinyalwhl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 13, 10:25 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by vinyalwhl View Post
Also, the fine print in my circular.

"Weis Club Card Offer valid on Boscovís, Kohlís and Outback gift cards only"

Not really worth it for the Kohls I would rather get 10x from UR
That caveat limiting it to the 3 kinds of cards is in regards to the 2x gas points promotion. So you would get 40 cents off per gallon if you bought a $100 Kohl's card.

One slight issue with the gas points - while you can use your Weis key tag (or smartphone app that has barcodes) when you are at the grocery store buying things, you need the full sized wallet card when you swipe at the pump to use the discount.

Sorry to hear that yours only had Amexs.
ChurnCzar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 13, 10:30 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHL
Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by ChurnCzar View Post
Sorry to hear that yours only had Amexs.
Yeah I have found that they are not worth the hassle.
vinyalwhl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 13, 10:35 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 76
Regarding your other point - I think Weis marketing is to blame.

The circulars tout the 20 cents off per gallon if you spend $100.

It really implies that it is capped at that. But when my $200 gc got me 40 cents off, I looked up on the Weis site for caps on the program and it says:

"Although you can accrue an unlimited amount of Gas Rewards Points, you may only redeem Gas Rewards Points up to the cost of gas. You will not be able to receive cash back with your Gas Rewards Points redemption if you have more points than the cost of gas."
ChurnCzar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 14, 11:11 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania
Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Posts: 205
Originally Posted by ChurnCzar View Post
If you have Weis Markets in your area (MD, NY, PA) you will want to get some Visa GC at Weis because you can get a triple benefit.

Credit Card reward points, Gas points that work at Sheetz (10 cents off per gallon per $50 spent), and they have "Spend $25 get x free" coupons in their circulars. (Note the freebie coupons are on a smaller wrap around in the Sunday paper, usually not on the circulars they have in the front of the store).

A couple weeks ago all they had were $200 Metabanks, but last night their stock had been replenished and I got a $500 variable load Metabank which netted me 1000 Barclays points, $1 off per gallon of gas, and a free 2 liter soda and a free package of 6 Italian ices.

The gas program is actually pretty good - I think you can get it down to a penny a gallon, and when you do use the points it is a 20 gallon limit.

On the downside - you can buy $200 ones without issue, but they had to fill out a form with the $500 purchase - writing down my driver's license info I think. They were very apologetic and said it was related to identity theft.
Good info; thanks. Have you ever tried to buy the Visa / MC GCs at Weis with an AMEX GC? Will they allow?

ALSO, not clear on the Weis web site - when do their gas rewards EXPIRE?

Thanks!
fletchbo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 14, 11:23 pm
  #11  
TPP
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ABE
Programs: DL, US, AA
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by fletchbo View Post
Good info; thanks. Have you ever tried to buy the Visa / MC GCs at Weis with an AMEX GC? Will they allow?

ALSO, not clear on the Weis web site - when do their gas rewards EXPIRE?

Thanks!
I shop at a Weis in my area. I believe the miles expire quarterly. It shows on your receipt. It's the same for everyone, no matter when you earned the points. For example, in my area the next expiration date is Dec. 27.
TPP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 14, 10:51 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania
Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Posts: 205
Weis Mini-wiki

Originally Posted by TPP View Post
I shop at a Weis in my area. I believe the miles expire quarterly. It shows on your receipt. It's the same for everyone, no matter when you earned the points. For example, in my area the next expiration date is Dec. 27.
FOLLOW-UP 11/17/14:
1. Visited three Weis stores. Some Weis stores have the variable $20-500 Visa GCs, some do not. $500 card = 100 pts, or $1 off/gal up to 20 gals.
(Their inventory is much less than Giant; it may be hard to find the $500 denom GCs needed to make this consistently worthwhile)
2. Some stores check ID to see that it matches the name on the credit card; some do not.
3. Store may fill out a form with DL info when $2000 or more in GC purchase at one time made. Not all stores follow this.
4. Manager override needed at 2 stores for over $300 purchase, but one store allowed $500 GC purchase with no mgr needed.
5. AMEX GC could be used at 2 of 3 stores, but last store disallows. Best to have custom AMEX GC with name imprinted if using them.
6. Points cycle seems to run quarterly, next expiration is late March 2015 for pts. earned approx. Jan 1 - late March.

Current expiration of pts is Dec 27.
fletchbo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 14, 7:12 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2
Red face Gas points stopped working for visa gift card purchase

I used to be able to earn gas points for purchasing visa gift cards ($500), which was a great way for double dipping while MS. Today I stopped by my local Weis in PA and did my usual thing (12/28 was when the cycle restarts). To my horror, I didn't earn gas points. Hopefully it is just a computer glitch.
qiutong is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 14, 7:13 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 466
Originally Posted by qiutong View Post
I used to be able to earn gas points for purchasing visa gift cards ($500), which was a great way for double dipping while MS. Today I stopped by my local Weis in PA and did my usual thing (12/28 was when the cycle restarts). To my horror, I didn't earn gas points. Hopefully it is just a computer glitch.
My Weis stopped giving gas points too. This avenue looks to be dead, or at least will only appear periodically like Giant.
Tuppins is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 14, 7:21 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Posts: 1,573
That's not what the circular says.
heyeaglefn is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread