FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Visa GC at Weis Markets = CC points + Gas Points + Free stuff (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1482349-visa-gc-weis-markets-cc-points-gas-points-free-stuff.html)

ChurnCzar Jul 5, 2013 4:35 am

Visa GC at Weis Markets = CC points + Gas Points + Free stuff

If you have Weis Markets in your area (MD, NY, PA) you will want to get some Visa GC at Weis because you can get a triple benefit.

Credit Card reward points, Gas points that work at Sheetz (10 cents off per gallon per $50 spent), and they have "Spend $25 get x free" coupons in their circulars. (Note the freebie coupons are on a smaller wrap around in the Sunday paper, usually not on the circulars they have in the front of the store).

A couple weeks ago all they had were $200 Metabanks, but last night their stock had been replenished and I got a $500 variable load Metabank which netted me 1000 Barclays points, $1 off per gallon of gas, and a free 2 liter soda and a free package of 6 Italian ices.

The gas program is actually pretty good - I think you can get it down to a penny a gallon, and when you do use the points it is a 20 gallon limit.

On the downside - you can buy $200 ones without issue, but they had to fill out a form with the $500 purchase - writing down my driver's license info I think. They were very apologetic and said it was related to identity theft.

Voyaging Jul 5, 2013 5:32 am

Thanks for sharing. What sunday paper are you speaking of? Do you know of any other place I can find these coupons?

I think the Sheetz deal defrays the cost of the metabank fee but you're still paying a pretty penny for 1-2x points. You save 10c per gallon and let's say you drive a medium to large size sedan that carries 13 gallons. that's about $1.30 you shave off, and that's if you have an empty tank.

It does give you more alternatives than just finding the traditional vr. Which cc are you using to buy?

ChurnCzar Jul 5, 2013 5:48 am

It was in my local paper in Maryland - I'm sure it's in tons of others.

It's 10 cents per $50 dollars spent - so your math is off. With that $500 card I got 10 cents off times 10 - which equates to $1 off per gallon, so in your scenario that is a $13 savings on a tank full.

I'm using a Barclays Rewards card at the moment - so 2x on groceries.

Voyaging Jul 5, 2013 7:47 am

Is that how it works? I was under the impression that any purchase over $50 qualified for a 10c/gallon off fill max of 20 gallons. So whether it's a $50 purchase or a $2000 purchase you still only get $2 off on gas unless you split it up into multiple transactions.

vinyalwhl Jul 5, 2013 7:48 am

Originally Posted by ChurnCzar (Post 21043990)
It was in my local paper in Maryland - I'm sure it's in tons of others.

It's 10 cents per $50 dollars spent - so your math is off. With that $500 card I got 10 cents off times 10 - which equates to $1 off per gallon, so in your scenario that is a $13 savings on a tank full.

I'm using a Barclays Rewards card at the moment - so 2x on groceries.

only GCs left at mine are AMEX

vinyalwhl Jul 5, 2013 7:50 am

Also, the fine print in my circular.

"Weis Club Card Offer valid on Boscov’s, Kohl’s and Outback gift cards only"

Not really worth it for the Kohls I would rather get 10x from UR

ChurnCzar Jul 5, 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by vinyalwhl (Post 21044421)
Also, the fine print in my circular.

"Weis Club Card Offer valid on Boscov’s, Kohl’s and Outback gift cards only"

Not really worth it for the Kohls I would rather get 10x from UR

That caveat limiting it to the 3 kinds of cards is in regards to the 2x gas points promotion. So you would get 40 cents off per gallon if you bought a $100 Kohl's card.

One slight issue with the gas points - while you can use your Weis key tag (or smartphone app that has barcodes) when you are at the grocery store buying things, you need the full sized wallet card when you swipe at the pump to use the discount.

Sorry to hear that yours only had Amexs.

vinyalwhl Jul 5, 2013 10:30 am

Originally Posted by ChurnCzar (Post 21045173)
Sorry to hear that yours only had Amexs.

Yeah I have found that they are not worth the hassle.

ChurnCzar Jul 5, 2013 10:35 am

Regarding your other point - I think Weis marketing is to blame.

The circulars tout the 20 cents off per gallon if you spend $100.

It really implies that it is capped at that. But when my $200 gc got me 40 cents off, I looked up on the Weis site for caps on the program and it says:

"Although you can accrue an unlimited amount of Gas Rewards Points, you may only redeem Gas Rewards Points up to the cost of gas. You will not be able to receive cash back with your Gas Rewards Points redemption if you have more points than the cost of gas."

fletchbo Oct 26, 2014 11:11 am

Originally Posted by ChurnCzar (Post 21043787)
If you have Weis Markets in your area (MD, NY, PA) you will want to get some Visa GC at Weis because you can get a triple benefit.

Credit Card reward points, Gas points that work at Sheetz (10 cents off per gallon per $50 spent), and they have "Spend $25 get x free" coupons in their circulars. (Note the freebie coupons are on a smaller wrap around in the Sunday paper, usually not on the circulars they have in the front of the store).

A couple weeks ago all they had were $200 Metabanks, but last night their stock had been replenished and I got a $500 variable load Metabank which netted me 1000 Barclays points, $1 off per gallon of gas, and a free 2 liter soda and a free package of 6 Italian ices.

The gas program is actually pretty good - I think you can get it down to a penny a gallon, and when you do use the points it is a 20 gallon limit.

On the downside - you can buy $200 ones without issue, but they had to fill out a form with the $500 purchase - writing down my driver's license info I think. They were very apologetic and said it was related to identity theft.

Good info; thanks. Have you ever tried to buy the Visa / MC GCs at Weis with an AMEX GC? Will they allow?

ALSO, not clear on the Weis web site - when do their gas rewards EXPIRE?

Thanks!

TPP Oct 26, 2014 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by fletchbo (Post 23738293)
Good info; thanks. Have you ever tried to buy the Visa / MC GCs at Weis with an AMEX GC? Will they allow?

ALSO, not clear on the Weis web site - when do their gas rewards EXPIRE?

Thanks!

I shop at a Weis in my area. I believe the miles expire quarterly. It shows on your receipt. It's the same for everyone, no matter when you earned the points. For example, in my area the next expiration date is Dec. 27.

fletchbo Nov 20, 2014 10:51 am

Weis Mini-wiki

Originally Posted by TPP (Post 23741181)
I shop at a Weis in my area. I believe the miles expire quarterly. It shows on your receipt. It's the same for everyone, no matter when you earned the points. For example, in my area the next expiration date is Dec. 27.

FOLLOW-UP 11/17/14:
1. Visited three Weis stores. Some Weis stores have the variable $20-500 Visa GCs, some do not. $500 card = 100 pts, or $1 off/gal up to 20 gals.
(Their inventory is much less than Giant; it may be hard to find the $500 denom GCs needed to make this consistently worthwhile)
2. Some stores check ID to see that it matches the name on the credit card; some do not.
3. Store may fill out a form with DL info when $2000 or more in GC purchase at one time made. Not all stores follow this.
4. Manager override needed at 2 stores for over $300 purchase, but one store allowed $500 GC purchase with no mgr needed.
5. AMEX GC could be used at 2 of 3 stores, but last store disallows. Best to have custom AMEX GC with name imprinted if using them.
6. Points cycle seems to run quarterly, next expiration is late March 2015 for pts. earned approx. Jan 1 - late March.

Current expiration of pts is Dec 27.

qiutong Dec 28, 2014 7:12 pm

Gas points stopped working for visa gift card purchase

I used to be able to earn gas points for purchasing visa gift cards ($500), which was a great way for double dipping while MS. Today I stopped by my local Weis in PA and did my usual thing (12/28 was when the cycle restarts). To my horror, I didn't earn gas points. Hopefully it is just a computer glitch.

Tuppins Dec 29, 2014 7:13 am

Originally Posted by qiutong (Post 24064931)
I used to be able to earn gas points for purchasing visa gift cards ($500), which was a great way for double dipping while MS. Today I stopped by my local Weis in PA and did my usual thing (12/28 was when the cycle restarts). To my horror, I didn't earn gas points. Hopefully it is just a computer glitch.

My Weis stopped giving gas points too. This avenue looks to be dead, or at least will only appear periodically like Giant.

heyeaglefn Dec 29, 2014 7:21 am

That's not what the circular says.