Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Thanks!

Originally Posted by SoloExperiment
I just unloaded $5k of OD meta's yesterday and today at WM, they work

Thanks for the info, I just did $1500 at WM with 3 $500 Metabank VGC from S&S. I had a great customer service rep at service counter, it was no problem there.

Really a lifesaver since USPO seems to now reject Metas.^
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:33 pm

Whats the max per visit? Is there a limit?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by hyperdallas
Whats the max per visit? Is there a limit?
Varies at each store. Most of the stores in my area require all MO in one transaction, so effectively a 2k limit with the 4 swipe rule if using $500 VGCs.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:38 am

Trying to unload MB VGC'S, got "Alternate form of payment required", tried it with three cards then canceled the transaction. Anyone experiencing issues?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by msthegame
Trying to unload MB VGC'S, got "Alternate form of payment required", tried it with three cards then canceled the transaction. Anyone experiencing issues?
Are you doing a split tender transaction? IIRC I think the likely issue is the CSR is not punching in the split tender amount prior to your (finishing) entering the PIN.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:52 am

It's a split transaction, went back and told her to specify 500, she did and I still got the same error.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:09 am

Doh, my cards were mixed with the drained ones and I selected the drained ones out of the stack. It worked after I sorted it out of the stack.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:43 am

For newbies to MS and MO:
I thought I would share some details because I think it is best if people are prepared when they try to buy MO at WM. I am not sure the WIKI says enough and people don't find it. Can someone update it?

Buy metabank visa gift cards from:
- giftcards.com using TCB portal for 1.25% back which almost covers the fees or (This option looks obvious on your bill so be careful) - Cards must be activated
- Giftcardmall.com has free shipping under $2000 using TopCashBack portal for 1.25% back which covers the fees but they take 2 weeks for delivery. (This option looks obvious on your bill so be careful)
- at grocery stores that offer gas rewards or
- at simon malls for lower cost or simonmall.com (call to get pin)
- CVS- Vanilla vgc do not work at WM, only POffice.
- WM sells vgc from Suntrust but you can't buy MO with them at my WM(Don't buy gc and go buy MO at same store)

There are more options but I just named a few. The US Bank master cards work also, but they require the pin inside the package and a different way to swipe so it is easiest to buy visa.

My strategy so far with MO:
– At WM, I generally ask for 2 MO for 999.30 to include fee (Total of $2000) and swipe the limit of 4 cards for 500 each with pin and you need to tell the clerk "I'm paying 500 at a time" and then swipe. WM allows 2 MO for $1000 per transaction and $3000 per day. $3000 per day is the limit unless you want your name in their book.
I found a great WM with a Money Center and all the employees are fine splitting the payment by 500 at a time. Some WM’s employees do not allow this even though the registers allow debit card swipes up to 4 times per transaction. If something gets goofed up and you have to swipe 5 times it will not go through, so they need to cancel the transaction and the money should return to your debit cards. Call to check balance before leaving the store.
I like that the giftcard.com cards have my name on them and I also add the amount in the “Message on Card” field. Some stores like to see you name on the card, but try not to show them your card. Only if asked, I am earning miles while paying bills, if asked and leave it at that. Never say too much. Only refer to your cards as DEBIT cards, not gift cards. If a store says no, be polite and leave and try again at another store.

You can pay your cc bills at a branch bank if they are located around you or do a bank deposit with the MO.
You can buy MO at Post Office with only vanilla (not one vanilla) as well but they cost $1.20 per $500 vs .70 for $1000 at WM.
Always start slow and liquidate fast in case WM or PO stop selling MO. PO does not work with metabank cards at some locations now.

Last edited by Travelz; Dec 3, 2016 at 10:56 am
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:00 am

Great post! ^^^

Also worth highlighting that MS is very YMMV. I have been to stores that insist on checking your "debit" card to make sure that your name is on it (multiple employees and first question they ask when you tell them that you're paying with debit card -- must be an enforced store policy), and also had employees who didn't want to split the payment. Once you find a 'good' store start slow and build relationships with employees. If there're issues with GCs have an actual debit card on standby to complete the transaction so that employees don't have to look for a manager with keys / code to void the purchase.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Travelz
You can buy MO at Post Office with only vanilla (not one vanilla) as well but they cost $1.20 per $500 vs .70 for $1000 at WM.
OneVanilla works at PO too
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:26 am

While on vacay, I bought MOs at an unknown to me WM. I used two VGCs which were both approved after I swiped them and saw the receipt print BUT no $1K MO printed. I asked cashier to let me look at the receipt and she handed it to me. It says there at the bottom CHANGE: $1000.70

She called the supervisor who obviously didn't know how to handle it but I was 100% sure they should give me my money back since it has already been taken out of my cards. I called to check my balance and they were zero on both cards. THAT plus the receipt printed and indicated change of $1000.70 meant that I shouldn't leave w/o settling the issue or else, I'm out the full amount and will have to go back to that branch later when they find out later. NO way would I agree to go back later till they figure it out since it was clear to me that I was owed a refund. I stayed calm all these time since I knew I was right.

I asked for a cash dept manager who, fortunately, understood it the way I did and asked them to check the machine to find out why it didn't print the MO (if it printed, then just give me the $1K MO) OR if it's broke, they have to give me refund of $1000.70 in cash. Soon as they re-booted the machine, the supervisor keyed in something for the payment and the MO printed. I was so relieved to get out of there with issue resolved.

For those who experience the same thing in unknown territories, make sure the issue is resolved before you leave and don't just take their word that funds will go back to card especially IF you saw a receipt print which means the transaction went through. If that's the case, funds will not go back to card(s) and if you inspect the receipt, I bet it'll say change is due if no MO prints.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
For those who experience the same thing in unknown territories, make sure the issue is resolved before you leave and don't just take their word that funds will go back to card especially IF you saw a receipt print which means the transaction went through. If that's the case, funds will not go back to card(s) and if you inspect the receipt, I bet it'll say change is due if no MO prints.
Good advice. Thanks for the tip.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Happened to me once earlier this year, the machine wouldn't print. They gave me $1000 cash.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:00 pm

Got denied at my Walmart in Ct after doing 1. He ask for my ID and said he would not accept it. At least I got on done for $500 $3,000 more to go
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
While on vacay, I bought MOs at an unknown to me WM. I used two VGCs which were both approved after I swiped them and saw the receipt print BUT no $1K MO printed. I asked cashier to let me look at the receipt and she handed it to me. It says there at the bottom CHANGE: $1000.70

She called the supervisor who obviously didn't know how to handle it but I was 100% sure they should give me my money back since it has already been taken out of my cards. I called to check my balance and they were zero on both cards. THAT plus the receipt printed and indicated change of $1000.70 meant that I shouldn't leave w/o settling the issue or else, I'm out the full amount and will have to go back to that branch later when they find out later. NO way would I agree to go back later till they figure it out since it was clear to me that I was owed a refund. I stayed calm all these time since I knew I was right.

I asked for a cash dept manager who, fortunately, understood it the way I did and asked them to check the machine to find out why it didn't print the MO (if it printed, then just give me the $1K MO) OR if it's broke, they have to give me refund of $1000.70 in cash. Soon as they re-booted the machine, the supervisor keyed in something for the payment and the MO printed. I was so relieved to get out of there with issue resolved.

Just had this happen to me cashing out the last 4 of my SM VGCs. MO machine was off/down and they didn't know it. After a several minutes of the register trying to connect and failing and a CSM getting the MO machine rebooting, the register cancelled, printed the receipt and said "change $2001.40". CSM confirmed to the CSR to refund me in cash. No issue whatsoever, thankfully, and I knew to make sure I got cash because of this post (even tho it wasn't an issue at all). Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.