Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best site to buy discounted gift cards?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Best site to buy discounted gift cards?

Hi, I did try searching but did not turn up a thread on this specific topic. I am happy if someone can direct me to it or will answer my questions here.

Can any FTers recommend the best website(s) to use to buy discounted gift certificates using a credit card?

I know that there are periodically specials at Safeway, Staples, OM and OD to buy gift cards at a savings, and Chase had a no-fee promotion recently, but I am wondering about online sites that either sell or resell gift cards at a discounted price on a regular basis.

Also, would you recommend the same sites to resell my own gift cards that may be gathering dust?

Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Here's where I buy my discounted GC and I've never had any trouble

http://www.giftcardgranny.com/

(I've never sold GC)
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
Here's where I buy my discounted GC and I've never had any trouble

http://www.giftcardgranny.com/
Giftcardgranny.com isn't a GC sales site - it is a price aggregate/price comparison tool.

If you click on links from it, it is sending you to other gift card buy/sell sites like raise, ebay, junkcard, ABC Gift Cards, etc.

It is a great site but don't confuse them with the actual sites you are having transactions with.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 5:49 am

Dunno about selling, but if you're new to this, start at GiftCardGranny so you can get an idea of how much various retailers' cards are discounted and which gift card resellers offer the best prices.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Anyone use Raise? The Deal Mommy had a post about it and it was the first time I'd heard that name. Thanks again.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by TWA44
Thanks, all. Anyone use Raise? The Deal Mommy had a post about it and it was the first time I'd heard that name. Thanks again.
Raise is the new name for CouponTrade. Great site - I've used them successfully before.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:37 pm

[QUOTE=TWA44;21012601]Hi, I did try searching but did not turn up a thread on this specific topic. I am happy if someone can direct me to it or will answer my questions here.

Can any FTers recommend the best website(s) to use to buy discounted gift certificates using a credit card?

Check out www.cardpool.com
Also check www.giftcards.com. Click on discounted gift cards.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: Several dozen
These sites are both good, but check for sales - discounts can go up and down. Also take note if you are going to use cards to buy items - RadioShack cards are often discounted and they can buy Apple items for a discount and Sears, Lands End and Kmart cards are interchangeable, yet often sell for different discount percentages.

[QUOTE=takhliq1;21017576]
Hi, I did try searching but did not turn up a thread on this specific topic. I am happy if someone can direct me to it or will answer my questions here.

Check out www.cardpool.com
Also check www.giftcards.com. Click on discounted gift cards.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:28 pm

Again, use giftcardgranny to compare discounts.

In my experience the various sites offer vastly different times for shipping gift cards. This is especially frustrating when dealing with an electronic gift card, which I'm usually buying to take advantage of a portal sale/bonus multiplier.

Cardpool e-codes usually ship very quickly (within an hour for me)
Raise e-codes usually take a day or two
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for all this helpful advice. Much appreciated!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: Several dozen
One more tip. If your kiddo is off to college like ADK, Jr. and his college has a B&N Bookstore you can buy discounted B&N cards to offset college book costs.

Thanks again for all this helpful advice. Much appreciated!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:45 am

Don't forget to use Top Cash Back + Cardpool/Raise. You could find some phenomenal deals on Raise + TCB.

I once bought a ton of Wholefoods GC @ 10% off and resold to Plastic Jungle @ 92% of the value among other vendors.

The problem with Raise and this is where it burned me, as I was playing around with the deals, the seller on Raise determines how much to sell for, Raise will then email/ship out the card. What I didn't know when I bought a Home Depot card ($500ish) it was merchandise credit and Plastic Jungle wouldn't buy it.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by jm38750n
Don't forget to use Top Cash Back + Cardpool/Raise. You could find some phenomenal deals on Raise + TCB.

I once bought a ton of Wholefoods GC @ 10% off and resold to Plastic Jungle @ 92% of the value among other vendors.

The problem with Raise and this is where it burned me, as I was playing around with the deals, the seller on Raise determines how much to sell for, Raise will then email/ship out the card. What I didn't know when I bought a Home Depot card ($500ish) it was merchandise credit and Plastic Jungle wouldn't buy it.
Excellent advice, sir.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: UR(ink bold; Freedom), Skymiles Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold)
I've had great success at cardpool for a few years now, never having an issue and delivery is always prompt. As other poster noted, combine with topcashback.com
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Good tips, thanks everyone. Now, to sort through my stack of gift cards - none of which I actually bought and mostly are from returning some unneeded gift or item I bought - and see what can be jettisoned! Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.