Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bikeguy
Kate will only allow load totals up to $1999.99 every 10 minutes. It does not matter if it was you or the person before you. If you go over that limit, Kate will freeze. Sept 2015- Several people have reported the 10 minute limit is now longer than 10. Not sure how much longer yet. Several Kate's have locked up following the old 10 minute rule.

9 digit pin problem - Sometimes, for unknown reasons, after you swipe your card and enter your pin, MCE will ask you for a 9 digit pin. To date, no one knows why this happens, or has a fix for it. If it repeatedly asks you for a pin, this is the same as the 9 digit pin problem and there is no fix.
Unplugging and re-booting by a supervisor doesn't fix this problem.

For consistent MCE issues, use the WM feedback link to report:
https://corporate.walmart.com/contac...orate-feedback
Select 'store experience' and be sure to include the store number and address. If you include your name and phone number the stores sometimes call when it is working again. Do not abuse this as it may lead to your MCE being removed.

How to shut Kate up by sosamo
  1. Before you press anything, plug the headphones into the jack near the pinpad
  2. The touchscreen will "gray" out, and you won't be able to press anything.
  3. Press '3' on the pinpad
  4. Press 'Enter' on the pinpad
  5. Continue business as usual on the touch screen.

Note: If you ever make a mistake, to get out, just unplug the headphone.

----
Walmart Money Center Kiosk Location

Any of the walmarts on the list have a Kate
http://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.aspx

Look for "Walmart Money Center Express" as one of the services
http://www.walmart.com/c/store/search/MoneyCenter
------------------------------
Print Wikipost

Walmart money kiosks(2013-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Anybody doing post office MO as an alternative? Wondering if they allow multiple cards per purchase (500x2) for instance.
We just cluttered this thread with like 10 replies over this.

The answer is -- No. You cannot buy post office MO with any GC.

Ok.. now lets move on...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Silent Kate

Has anyone noticed more and more kiosks with disabled sound function? I don't complain but curious if this is just local initiative or they finally realized how stupid to have these machine set up with loud public announcements.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
No, but I canceled a transaction once because I typed in a number wrong and I caused it to be silent the rest of the time I used it.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
No, but I canceled a transaction once because I typed in a number wrong and I caused it to be silent the rest of the time I used it.
Now that's interesting. When I last used my Kate it flaked out on the first transaction I had to cancel it. Then it worked and was silent.... Another FTer in the area reported it being loud and clear again though. I wonder if the cancel thing is the key....
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by lapointsguy
Had a pleasant conversation with a manager last night while he rebooted Kate. He said that WM headquarters had told them not to reboot when there was a crash because when they reboot it wipes out the error logs and they can't determine why it crashed. If true, that's gotta be the worst programming decision ever. But apparently at this particular WM they had made the executive decision to ignore that order from on high and try to keep customers happy by rebooting and actually having a working machine. What a concept, huh?

As far as this Kate goes, she had crashed all the way to the base Windows XP desktop and the manager first tried to get it back running without a reboot because it literally takes 15 minutes to reboot. I thought he was exaggerating until I stood there and watched it. As it started, I could see that with the number of programs Kate seems to have running at the same time (on a system with a Win XP Pro OS no less), it's no wonder the thing is so stupid slow when it actually is working, nor any surprise that it crashes so often. Anyway, even after rebooting I couldn't do a reload via the BB button, but the MC button worked fine.
This is actually promising. Microsoft will stop supporting Win XP in April. That means they will stop releasing security updates. Most business will be forced to upgrade their XP systems to a newer operating system or face potential security issues. Given the nature of the kiosk, Walmart will have to do something or they will enter Target territory.

Where it gets scary: I would be worried if come April the kiosks are still running XP. Also, with a new operating system, Kate may get an upgrade too. That could mean the potential closing of loopholes (should Walmart label certain events as such), and growing pains if the bugs haven't been worked out.

In the long run, Kate could be more stable and (hopefully) less prone to crashing. ...one can dream, anyway.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by FullMoonMadness
This is actually promising. Microsoft will stop supporting Win XP in April. That means they will stop releasing security updates. Most business will be forced to upgrade their XP systems to a newer operating system or face potential security issues. Given the nature of the kiosk, Walmart will have to do something or they will enter Target territory.

Where it gets scary: I would be worried if come April the kiosks are still running XP. Also, with a new operating system, Kate may get an upgrade too. That could mean the potential closing of loopholes (should Walmart label certain events as such), and growing pains if the bugs haven't been worked out.

In the long run, Kate could be more stable and (hopefully) less prone to crashing. ...one can dream, anyway.
Or WM could remove the MoneyCenter kiosks altogether rather than deal with upgrades/new programming/bugs/etc.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by FullMoonMadness
Actually, XP Embedded has support until 2016, so there's no need to worry about that.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
So my only question is why is it called Kate? Where did the name come from?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Dang kiosk was dead this morning. Luckily, it was an easy feeding schedule (4x500). In and out in less than 10 minutes.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Went to 10 f'cking WMs in the bay area and every one was broken. Secondly, either someone f''ed up this game or these csr (from 4 stores) are being as ... with the reload and mo.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vfdfs2
Went to 10 f'cking WMs in the bay area and every one was broken. Secondly, either someone f''ed up this game or these csr (from 4 stores) are being as ... with the reload and mo.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...remont-ca.html
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
OMG, there is a thread on this matter. Thank you for point me to this thread.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:05 pm

My lucky day today, found a kate that not only works, but is super speedy. The extra speed was so noticeable that I timed it at just over 1 minute per card (vs 2 minutes each it used to take) plus a new receipt format that doesnt include very much information. If only they could mute the damn thing and add money orders back in it would of been perfect.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Every time I pass my kate, it says "CLOSED" on the screen.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Never seen a disabled Kate... and my local one has been recently mute which is a blessing. Hope she never collects SSDI so I can keep feeding her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.