Old May 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bikeguy
Kate will only allow load totals up to $1999.99 every 10 minutes. It does not matter if it was you or the person before you. If you go over that limit, Kate will freeze. Sept 2015- Several people have reported the 10 minute limit is now longer than 10. Not sure how much longer yet. Several Kate's have locked up following the old 10 minute rule.

9 digit pin problem - Sometimes, for unknown reasons, after you swipe your card and enter your pin, MCE will ask you for a 9 digit pin. To date, no one knows why this happens, or has a fix for it. If it repeatedly asks you for a pin, this is the same as the 9 digit pin problem and there is no fix.
Unplugging and re-booting by a supervisor doesn't fix this problem.

For consistent MCE issues, use the WM feedback link to report:
https://corporate.walmart.com/contac...orate-feedback
Select 'store experience' and be sure to include the store number and address. If you include your name and phone number the stores sometimes call when it is working again. Do not abuse this as it may lead to your MCE being removed.

How to shut Kate up by sosamo
  1. Before you press anything, plug the headphones into the jack near the pinpad
  2. The touchscreen will "gray" out, and you won't be able to press anything.
  3. Press '3' on the pinpad
  4. Press 'Enter' on the pinpad
  5. Continue business as usual on the touch screen.

Note: If you ever make a mistake, to get out, just unplug the headphone.

----
Walmart Money Center Kiosk Location

Any of the walmarts on the list have a Kate
http://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.aspx

Look for "Walmart Money Center Express" as one of the services
http://www.walmart.com/c/store/search/MoneyCenter
------------------------------
Print Wikipost

Walmart money kiosks(2013-2015)

Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by voodoomonkey
Just got back from loading Serve at Kate. Worked fine.
Very glad to hear!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:38 pm

bummer

my local WM got rid of their kate and replaced it with a regular ATM

anyone else had this happen recently? it was broke probably 50% of the time or more, so I guess people just got tired of it
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Hisma
bummer

my local WM got rid of their kate and replaced it with a regular ATM

anyone else had this happen recently? it was broke probably 50% of the time or more, so I guess people just got tired of it
I really hate it when I see a Kate with the flashing red light and "approval need" $500.....Because of this, many managers, etc get tired of it.

If people understand the Velocity limit, this will help out a lot. FYI: i have caused the "approval needed" a few times also, so I do take blame, but learned to be more careful the next time.

the "lane close" screen, I noticed are not on 100% of the time. The store does open Kate, just different time, different days, different crowds, etc.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:18 pm

Good Lord lol. I just left the kiosk at Wal-Mart. Some douche left gift card packaging right above the pin pad. Really people?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:09 pm

A lot of ppl like that. I remember telling this girl,"I already loaded some to kate. Give it a few mins". She replied,"thank you. But I'll try". Kate froze and then she walked away.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sosamo
I really hate it when I see a Kate with the flashing red light and "approval need" $500.....Because of this, many managers, etc get tired of it.

If people understand the Velocity limit, this will help out a lot. FYI: i have caused the "approval needed" a few times also, so I do take blame, but learned to be more careful the next time.

the "lane close" screen, I noticed are not on 100% of the time. The store does open Kate, just different time, different days, different crowds, etc.
So are you clairvoyant and know what took place at your kate? I would think most of the time it's not knowing who and how much was loaded before hand that causes the problem.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So are you clairvoyant and know what took place at your kate? I would think most of the time it's not knowing who and how much was loaded before hand that causes the problem.
Usually when I went into a WM I would look for signs of other MSers and approach Kate cautiously for the first few minutes. After 10 minutes or so I would start my loads. However, there were multiple times where where an MSer or other activity caused the red light during the initial 10-minute cooling off period. I've also had the line, "Thanks, but I'll try anyway." even after I explain that I've loaded and any additional activity will lock the kiosk. Sure enough... I come back a minute later and the red light is on.

There was one time where I had timed my loads and saw an MSer wreck a Kate before my eyes and scurry out the door in full view of the lady at the customer service desk. The lady walked over with an obvious look of frustration and even said, "I can help you over at the desk. People keep breaking this thing trying to use gift cards." I feigned a confused, "Oh? " while masking a gift card under my bank's debit card. Needless to say, I didn't return to that WM for awhile during that person's shift.

If I had to guess, I would imagine the velocity limit causes 95%+ of the problems we experience with the kiosks.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:03 pm

First load today. Kate looks decent and worked perfectly. Looks like not so many MSer working in my area.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:29 pm

Happy happy happy for the red card.making it so easy for CC at targot

Got rid of all the foul-ups at my WM
Kate is in luv
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Went in around 11:40 PM last night and loaded $1000 VGCs to my BB via Kate before the midnight cutoff hit. Finished at 11:50, walked around for 10m, came back and did $800 more. Only one trip to WM required per month to hit my quota with this method. I'm blessed to live in an area with 1 reliable Kate and not many MSers from what I can tell (but plenty of people who try to print MOs 15 times when there's a sign that says "this machine does not print money orders").
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by pointchaser93
Went in around 11:40 PM last night and loaded $1000 VGCs to my BB via Kate before the midnight cutoff hit. Finished at 11:50, walked around for 10m, came back and did $800 more. Only one trip to WM required per month to hit my quota with this method. I'm blessed to live in an area with 1 reliable Kate and not many MSers from what I can tell (but plenty of people who try to print MOs 15 times when there's a sign that says "this machine does not print money orders").
isnt the daily limit 2k though?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by mikeawesome
isnt the daily limit 2k though?
$2,500
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by tarcapone
$2,500
Indeed. Don't I feel like an idiot now.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:01 pm

I think he was trying to avoid hitting the velocity limit. Not the daily load limit for bb.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by sosamo
I think he was trying to avoid hitting the velocity limit. Not the daily load limit for bb.
This was also a consideration. I took an additional unnecessary step, not that it hurt anything but I doubt anyone had loaded any money at this kiosk in the prior 10 minutes before I got started.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.