Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bikeguy
Kate will only allow load totals up to $1999.99 every 10 minutes. It does not matter if it was you or the person before you. If you go over that limit, Kate will freeze. Sept 2015- Several people have reported the 10 minute limit is now longer than 10. Not sure how much longer yet. Several Kate's have locked up following the old 10 minute rule.

9 digit pin problem - Sometimes, for unknown reasons, after you swipe your card and enter your pin, MCE will ask you for a 9 digit pin. To date, no one knows why this happens, or has a fix for it. If it repeatedly asks you for a pin, this is the same as the 9 digit pin problem and there is no fix.
Unplugging and re-booting by a supervisor doesn't fix this problem.

For consistent MCE issues, use the WM feedback link to report:
https://corporate.walmart.com/contac...orate-feedback
Select 'store experience' and be sure to include the store number and address. If you include your name and phone number the stores sometimes call when it is working again. Do not abuse this as it may lead to your MCE being removed.

How to shut Kate up by sosamo
  1. Before you press anything, plug the headphones into the jack near the pinpad
  2. The touchscreen will "gray" out, and you won't be able to press anything.
  3. Press '3' on the pinpad
  4. Press 'Enter' on the pinpad
  5. Continue business as usual on the touch screen.

Note: If you ever make a mistake, to get out, just unplug the headphone.

----
Walmart Money Center Kiosk Location

Any of the walmarts on the list have a Kate
http://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.aspx

Look for "Walmart Money Center Express" as one of the services
http://www.walmart.com/c/store/search/MoneyCenter
------------------------------
Print Wikipost

Walmart money kiosks(2013-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by calwatch
The reason you don't find much about MO at Kate is that every Kate I've seen working has said "money orders not available" on it. It's too much of a risk.
Yep, same here.

At every WM I've ever been to, there's the same hand-written sign taped to the Kate. I think the MO heavy-hitters long ago caused them to take that step.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hecta
Does anyone have experience and feel comfortable sharing about buying Money Orders at a Kate machine? I tried to purchase my first one today using a Simon mall gift card.

The transaction went through just fine but the machine did not print out the money order and only printed out a receipt and a separate paper saying the money order "could have been printed" and to go to the customer service desk. After 45 minutes of back and forth and disappearing employees they finally printed out a new money order at the desk for the amount that was run on my card.

They asked me if I used a normal card or a gift card. I replied gift card and they rolled their eyes and said thats why the machine did not print out the money order. I was very confused because the transaction went through so I was owed a money order for the amount I entered.

I wanted to know if this is the case for all (or most) Kate machines. I haven't found much information about buying money orders at Kates.
What did you expect when you told them you were using a GC? ROLL EYES.

You were lucky to find a kiosk that still offers MOs. But no, your use of a GC had nothing to do with the kiosk spitting out the receipt instead of the MO - it was a misfeed or something and would have happened regardless of what you were paying with.

Don't believe anything you hear from the nimrods working at WM - they have no idea what causes any issues. Go often enough and you'll hear a dozen different versions of "fraud" "illegal" "corporate policy" (ie, whatever convenient spur of the moment "policy" which has just been pulled out of their backside).
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:34 pm

Ha!

Just as I was reading the new messages in this thread my phone rings! Guess what? It's the manager from the WM I opened a customer service request on the other day!

She was very nice and explained that their Kate breaks all the time, pretty much every other day. She said that they call every time it's down and they typically get it fixed within a few days, but it just breaks again for unknown reasons.

She wasn't sure if they're going to just replace it or not, but it sure seems like some bad hardware to me.

It's not in the best of neighborhoods so I wonder if it's just getting abused or something, maybe kids are crashing carts into it.

Kate's a delicate girl it seems..

I may have to start register loads since this particular Kate has issues.. haha..
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:38 am

Went to a different walmart and retried the routine. It was an absolute madhouse. I only took 1200 worth of cards (6 cards) so as not to bring attention to myself. Swiped them all no problem. Wish I had taken more cards!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
The MCE at my local walmart dosen't seem to detect the Serve after swiping once I select the BlueBird option. It detects something is being swiped, but won't continue onto the next screen. Is that just a card reader error? Went over to a cashier and loaded normally afterwards.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:37 am

They asked me if I used a normal card or a gift card. I replied gift card and they rolled their eyes and said thats why the machine did not print out the money order.
Never use the words gift card, it's a debit card! Always a debit card. Always. This is why we have over zealous employees trying to police Kates.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by pokerpot
I just got started loading on a Kate and some eagle eyed manager (the ones that stand at the end of the cashier lanes) came over and told me that I would have to stop what I was doing immediately. Guess she saw I was using different cards.

"We are required to get information from anyone that loads $1000 to this machine. It's walmart corporate policy. You're using different cards and that's illegal."
Your first mistake was not walking away when you saw you were being hawked by a manager. When you notice you're being watched, take 5 and meander around the store for 5 minutes. Second mistake was parading the stack of $200 VGC's you had to the point someone 15 feet away could see. Third mistake was arguing with any employee of WM. Once their red flag goes up, you will not be succeeding in MSing, walk away. If a WM employee asks for your SSN, laugh and walk away. Being in a high volume metropolitan area is also more of a reason to be more cautious. I always find it entertaining when some of you see lines 2-3 deep of MSers at Kate.

You also need to be able to hold all your cards in one hand with the palm of your hand facing down. It's not hard. There are "wings" on the sides of Kate as well, very easy to keep things out of sight and you have 30 seconds to put used cards in your pocket or out of the way or however you do it.

Last edited by DeltaNeutral28; Dec 24, 2014 at 7:00 am Reason: .
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by pokerpot
"We are required to get information from anyone that loads $1000 to this machine. It's walmart corporate policy. You're using different cards and that's illegal."
God these people are so stupid. Reminds me of the idiot Staples manager who kept touting 'federal law.'
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SW Companion Pass, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PolarPlunge
Never use the words gift card, it's a debit card! Always a debit card. Always. This is why we have over zealous employees trying to police Kates.
I didn't want to lie to them and say it was a normal bank debit card and then have them look at it. I just wanted my money order so I figured it was easier to be honest in this particular situation. The transaction went through so I figured as long as I was honest they would have to give me the money order one way or the other.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Northwest, United
I didn't want to lie to them and say it was a normal bank debit card and then have them look at it. I just wanted my money order so I figured it was easier to be honest in this particular situation. The transaction went through so I figured as long as I was honest they would have to give me the money order one way or the other.
(facepalm)

No, YOU don't understand.

Your gift card IS A DEBIT CARD.
TAKE A LOOK AT THE DAMN CARD! IT SAYS "DEBIT" RIGHT ON IT.
THAT'S WHY YOU TELL THEM IT'S A ##@*! DEBIT CARD!!!

Sweet Jesus on a pogo stick....
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:44 am

Nwflyboy cleared that right up. Hecta, the kates I frequent have the MO option but I've never used it, too risky. If you need a MO, go to the MC and get one there. Don't want to deal with an employee? Then don't go the MO route. Loading bb is the way to go with kates. If you get nervous and start looking around like you are doing a drug deal, you are just attracting attention to yourself. Be cool, if an employee comes up and starts asking questions, explain that you are loading your bb card with your debit card. I've never been asked, but I am prepared to say that my debit card only allows loads in $200 increments. If they keep on it and won't get out of your way. Leave, be nice. Live to fight another day.

And read this forum, not just this thread, front to back. It is the best free resource you are ever going to find.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Being in a high volume metropolitan area is also more of a reason to be more cautious. I always find it entertaining when some of you see lines 2-3 deep of MSers at Kate.
I've also read posts here where other MSers lack any notion of discretion and start demanding to the employees that they fix the kiosk or turn it back on. Then we see the report of a reasonably reliable kiosk getting taken out of service or permanently shut off as a result. Let's not forget that photo from a few months ago where that couple in Dallas planted two chairs taken from the MC and camped out at Kate for the long haul. I remember reading later that one of the kiosks in Dallas was removed. Was it that one?

What really incenses me is the rude behavior when you try to inform other MSers in passing about the velocity limit or how much you've already loaded within 10 minutes. I remember being brushed off with a curt, "Whatever..." by someone who was using Kate after me with a noticeable stack of cards and Bluebird in hand. (If I can see what's in your hand, a manager on the lookout for such activities can too.) Lo and behold after I walked by the area 5 minutes later the red light was on and assistance needed message was showing on the screen. I went back the next day and this typically reliable Kate had the lane closed with the do not enter symbol message displayed. It took a week for that Kate to come back online, and I felt like after that incident that the MC employees were giving kiosk transactions additional scrutiny. While I was never confronted, the MC employee gave me the evil eye upon hearing FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS! CONFIRM AMOUNT!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:36 pm

I was unable to load master card gift card with WM cashier today. I called and selected 4 digit pin and still couldn't load. The visa gcs worked. Anyone know why you can't load master card gc on bluebird? Thanks
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
(facepalm)

No, YOU don't understand.

Your gift card IS A DEBIT CARD.
TAKE A LOOK AT THE DAMN CARD! IT SAYS "DEBIT" RIGHT ON IT.
THAT'S WHY YOU TELL THEM IT'S A ##@*! DEBIT CARD!!!

Sweet Jesus on a pogo stick....
Relax there nwflyboy. I understand you not wanting inexperienced msers saying gift card, and trying money orders at Kate in 2014, but if you are getting g this worked up over it it may be time to take a vacation from forums such as these.

Also, if he was at a wm that was familiar with our game, they already know they are gift cards and could not care less. They know the routine and have things ready to go as you walk up.

Hecta, hope you continue to read up, and know the current info on each ms opportunity you use. It saves us all a lot of grief when people do
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I was unable to load master card gift card with WM cashier today. I called and selected 4 digit pin and still couldn't load. The visa gcs worked. Anyone know why you can't load master card gc on bluebird? Thanks
Anyone? Just about everyone. MGC don't work well at cashier. Find a Kate, or find another way to liquidate them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.