Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tip for Buying reloadit with CC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by taildragger
What are the consequences of removing blanks which state no value until activated from an unfriendly to a friendly location?
First of all, they have value to the store as a potential sale even if they have no financial value to the thief at the time they are taken. The store does make money on each sale.

And even if this was not the case, you almost certainly would be looking at a ban from the store or perhaps all of the chain's stores. Since these are private property and you would be on specific notice that your presence is not authorized, stepping into the store at a future date would likely be classified as defiant trespassing (a more significant crime then simple trespassing).

Why would anyone take such a stupid risk?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:11 pm

Tip for Buying reloadit with CC

It's an interesting legal question because the card states that it has no value and the definition of larceny includes a statement of the value of the property in issue e.g. under a certain amount it is considered petit larceny and higher amounts comprise different degrees of grand larceny. Certain items such as firearms, checks, vehicles and anhydrous ammonia have defined values by statute. Even credit and debit cards are assigned values for these purposes. But these cards specifically state that they are of no value until activated. That is the reason for my question. Imagine a law enforcement officer attempting to charge an individual with stealing something that is clearly labeled "of no value". Could he or she?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:28 pm

It's an interesting legal question because the card states that it has no value and the definition of larceny includes a statement of the value of the property in issue e.g. under a certain amount it is considered petit larceny and higher amounts comprise different degrees of grand larceny. Certain items such as firearms, checks, vehicles and anhydrous ammonia have defined values by statute. Even credit and debit cards are assigned values for these purposes. But these cards specifically state that they are of no value until activated. That is the reason for my question. Imagine a law enforcement officer attempting to charge an individual with stealing something that is clearly labeled "of no value". Could he or she?
Larceny is the unlawful taking and carrying away of someone else's personal property with the intent to deprive the possessor of it permanently. This seems to fit the debate here. Imagine pickpocketing something worthless from someone else. Just because it has no value, you are still depriving the possessor of their personal property and it qualifies as larceny.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Card has no value, but you still took (or stole) the card without permission.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:35 pm

Laws are complex but they all are based on some certain rules. Anything that you didn't own/pay-for/inhereted, isn't yours.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I would expect you could win a small court case, meanwhile paying out a huge chunk of MS profits in legal fees.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:55 pm

Excellent point!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by roki
I would expect you could win a small court case, meanwhile paying out a huge chunk of MS profits in legal fees.
You wouldn't win. It's textbook larceny. But there probably wouldn't even be a case because you would drop a thousand dollars to hire a lawyer, cover the court fees and and go on a diversion program in lieu of having a criminal record, which you would definitely have if it went to a trial.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:58 pm

I'm disturbed that this question is asked every month or so. Do people really have no understanding of property, simple morals or even the law? Even the golden rule taught to small children would tell you right from wrong.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
I'm disturbed that this question is asked every month or so. Do people really have no understanding of property, simple morals or even the law? Even the golden rule taught to small children would tell you right from wrong.
I am surprised as well at what MS does to people. It just screams desperation IMO. I love how the quote of "No cash value until activated" is being used as the argument to be able to steal those cards for free. All that statement means is that if the GC states its a $200 VGC, $200 won't be available until the card is purchased. It doesn't scream that the VGC can be taken for free from stores since it is worth "zero".
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:44 pm

The theft issue might be moot now. Tried to purchase the last few 950s tonight and the machine threw the error "item not found". Proceeded to purchase 500s without issue. It looks like the 950s may already be obsoleted even if stock remains.

This was at a friendly S.way where I've been buying 950s since the gray days.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by sybloc
The theft issue might be moot now. Tried to purchase the last few 950s tonight and the machine threw the error "item not found". Proceeded to purchase 500s without issue. It looks like the 950s may already be obsoleted even if stock remains.

This was at a friendly S.way where I've been buying 950s since the gray days.
If this is systemwide hopefully the GCM rep visits my local SW soon. It has at least 300 (no joke) of the 95s on the rack which will now be useless.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:51 am

what about plans of 'hiding MCCs somewhere in the store' so they can go back to buy them later and prevent others from buying them? sounds childish, but all for the love of MS? unethical but not illegal?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Went to a friendly Vons last night and none of the 950s would register when scanned. Manager tried a bunch of them and couldn't get any of them to work. Sounds like they've maybe been disabled. Didn't try the 500s, but I'll go back this evening and try.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:00 pm

just tried buying $500 at Jewel and the credit card machine was just stuck on "Please wait..." after swiping card. cashier consulted another cashier and they said just the reloadits don't accept cc as payment...any truth to this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.