Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for posts through 2016. The new thread for 2017 is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826119-billpay-walmart-2017-a.html

Bill Pay cannot be done at a regular register.
It must be done at Customer Service/Returns.
Or at the Money Center in stores that have it.

BUSINESS DAY transaction completion time is 18:59:59 EST
Friday after 06:59PM EST, until Monday BEFORE 07:00PM EST arrives Tuesday
Tuesday BEFORE 7:00PM arrives Wednesday
Wednesday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Thursday
Thursday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Friday
Friday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Monday
But when a next-day payment will post and be visible depends upon the CC issuer.

--------------------------------------------------------------
WM offers two BP services: CheckFreePAY and MoneyGram. The cashier can initiate CheckFreePAY by selecting Money Services followed by Bill Pay on the register for a fee of $1-1.88. Moneygram is $4.99.

Once your CFP account is set up, you can add cc. When you want to BP give them your phone# to look up your account under Money Services. They often get confused and think you want MG, but just say it is under Money Services.

ONLY 4 successful debit card swipes can pay for a transaction.

ONLY 5 payments per 16 digit account number per rolling 30 days.
--------------------------------------------
:-:VISA and MC
If your particular card isn't on the list below, try "VISA" or "MASTERCARD."

"VISA" and "MASTERCARD" payee can no longer be found by search at some stores. If the employee can no longer find "VISA" or "MASTERCARD" by searching in CheckFreePAY, then you cannot pay either, end of story.

Following do not work:
Any and all Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA.
Glimcher VISA
MASTERCARD
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Bank of America Cash Rewards Business MC
Barclay (Arrival, US Airways) MC - Posts at 11PM EST, credit available 1AM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold MC
Citi AAdvantage (Platinum Select, Executive, Business) MC - Posts at 3AM EST (+1 day)
Citi ThankYou Preferred MC
CitiBusiness Platinum Select MC
Does not work:
Barclay Business US Airways MC - NOT PAYABLE - tried 2x
VISA
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Barclay Priceline VS
Chase (Amazon, Freedom, Sapphire Preferred, United, Slate) VS - Posts at 10PM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold VS
Citi (AAdvantage, Dividend, ThankYou Preferred) VS
FIA Fidelity VS
PNC CashBuilder VS
US Bank (Cash+, Club Carlson, Flexperks) VS
Wells Fargo Cashback VS
Does not work:
TD Bank VS - [Source]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:-:Issuing Bank

Discover - Use for all Discover network cards
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days.

American Express AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) cannot be paid through CheckFreePAY. Some AMEX cards issued by other banks can be paid.

AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) can be paid using MoneyGram for $4.99

Barclay Listed under barclay - need biller zip - $1.50 next day, $1.00 three days

Bank of America Consumer Loans - Use for BoA-issued and FIA-issued cards; will not work for BofA Small Business cards.
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days. (Will require a ZIP but apparently yours will work as well as theirs, which is 19886)[INDENT]Works:
FIA Fidelity VS & MC
BoA Alaska Airlines Visa
Does not work:
FIA Fidelity AX - No longer working for FIA Amex
BofA Asiana Business card
Capital One
$1.50 next day.
Personal and business CCs
Citibank American Express - Use for Citi-issued AMEX cards
Citi AAdvantage AMEX
PNC Bank - Use for PNC-issued Visa network cards
PNC CashBuilder VS
Warning: Some users have reported being shutdown for using bill pay services.

For money order questions, check the following threads and their wiki posts:
Print Wikipost

Billpay at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:57 pm

deleted

Last edited by zenride; Feb 4, 2015 at 4:27 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by zenride
I really think it's time to consider using a different browser.
Unfortunately, the Elbonian browser contract has a huge early termination fee.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: tink928
Multiple debit cards

This is my first post so please dont kill me if I am asking question that has been answered multiple times. I have been to three wal marts in three different states (I live in a tri-state area). None of these were able to use multiple debit cards to get to $1998.12. It keeps saying alternate tender required. In all cases either they didnt have option to enter $500 as the amount to debit or even if they did, it still tried to charge the whole $2000 at once. I had the same experience with MO as well. Is there a wiki that I can use to explain to the cashier step by step? They are normally very friendly but can't seem to figure this multiple card quandary.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by tinku928
In all cases either they didnt have option to enter $500 as the amount to debit or even if they did, it still tried to charge the whole $2000 at once.
I've found that the screen on my side always says the full amount due, even when the amount to be paid with a given swipe is less. So it will say, eg, 1499.99, then 999.99, then 499.99. It will never say 500, even though that's how much the first two swipes are for. Could it be that when you saw the full amount on your screen you assumed that meant the full amount was trying to be charged?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, Avios, UA, DL, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Rapid Rewards
This is my first post so please dont kill me if I am asking question that has been answered multiple times. I have been to three wal marts in three different states (I live in a tri-state area). None of these were able to use multiple debit cards to get to $1998.12. It keeps saying alternate tender required. In all cases either they didnt have option to enter $500 as the amount to debit or even if they did, it still tried to charge the whole $2000 at once. I had the same experience with MO as well. Is there a wiki that I can use to explain to the cashier step by step? They are normally very friendly but can't seem to figure this multiple card quandary.
You need to swipe your first card, enter pin, then have csr enter 500.00 debit.

The amount should then decrease by 500.00 repeat process.

it will not work if you do not swipe and pin first.

hope that helps
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
I've found that the screen on my side always says the full amount due, even when the amount to be paid with a given swipe is less. So it will say, eg, 1499.99, then 999.99, then 499.99. It will never say 500, even though that's how much the first two swipes are for. Could it be that when you saw the full amount on your screen you assumed that meant the full amount was trying to be charged?
Most of the time, there is no option to enter the amount (per the WM rep). One time they had three different cashiers trying to figure this one out and couldn't.

Once this lady did enter the amount (the amount on my screen remained $2000) but the message came - tender not allowed and I chose to cancel the transaction and walk away.

Either way, I will try it again and see what happens.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
What type of debit card? Vanillas have been giving this error for the past little while.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by 2B or back in coach
What type of debit card? Vanillas have been giving this error for the past little while.
Metabank as well as US Bancorp. I have never tried OV since so may ppl have mentioned problems with them.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
I get the same results on a 2 swipe transaction with metabank visa cards. MO for 999.30, total 1000. Tell cashier 500 on first swipe. She says "ok go ahead and swipe" and then i skip cash bank option, enter pin, waiting on cashier, they do what they need (i think they actually do it....) then it fails and says alternate tender required. Multiple walmarts tried here too.

Last edited by tenmoc; Nov 1, 2014 at 5:28 am
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by tenmoc
I get the same results on a 2 swipe transaction with metabank visa cards. MO for 999.30, total 1000. Tell cashier 500 on first swipe. She says "ok go ahead and swipe" and then i skip cash bank option, enter pin, waiting on cashier, they do what they need (i think they actually do it....) then it fails and says alternate tender required. Multiple walmarts tried here too.
Try this if you have a nice cashier... after you entered the pin, ask her to:
1. enter 500 at the small keypad (do not press any of the two Debit buttons on the screen and do not press the number on the screen)
2. press Debit key on top of the small keypad (this is called manual debit. Again do no press 'enter' key in the small keypad next to the numbers, although the 'enter' key almost always worked but I found sometimes it just refused to response)

YMMV.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by spgbus
Try this if you have a nice cashier... after you entered the pin, ask her to:
1. enter 500 at the small keypad (do not press any of the two Debit buttons on the screen and do not press the number on the screen)
2. press Debit key on top of the small keypad (this is called manual debit. Again do no press 'enter' key in the small keypad next to the numbers, although the 'enter' key almost always worked but I found sometimes it just refused to response)

YMMV.
Thank you for the advise.
I was just coming back here to update my report. I returned to "walmart 1" from my example above today early morning (8am or so) and the transaction went through fine. I assume it was cashier error or the fact that i'd changed the pin that day although that's a stretch to me. But same walmart that failed yesterday worked today.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:43 am

Sometime the cashiers are confused from BLUEBIRD loading.

For bluebird, if you are doing split payment for $1k, they enter $500 BEFORE you swipe the card.

For Billpay, they enter $500 AFTER you swipe AND enter the pin.

If you are doing $1,998.12, this will be 4 $500 swipes. After the 3rd swipe, you get a message "Unable to process (i think)", just press ok. The next screen seems to be frozen so you press 'cancel', and then you can finally swipe the 4th card. I've gotten used to this workaround which i ALWAYS encounter at the three Walmarts I go to.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by rtraveler
If you are doing $1,998.12, this will be 4 $500 swipes. After the 3rd swipe, you get a message "Unable to process (i think)", just press ok. The next screen seems to be frozen so you press 'cancel', and then you can finally swipe the 4th card.
Awesome. THANK YOU!!

^:-:^
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:18 pm

walmart getting smarter?

one of the walmarts near downtown chicago had their machine turned off past weekend. so i visited one in niles cuz i was heading that direction.

the customer service said i can only load using debit cards that have my name on it. FAIL. then i proceeded to one of the cashiers and they informed me they no longer load bb/serve at registers and that they have been instructed to forward bb loads to customer service. i know this is most likely just an issue with that particular wal mart but.... can the end be near?

also i asked why their money station is always broken or off... and they told me its due to kids playing with it... i call bs.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by burgerking089
also i asked why their money station is always broken or off... and they told me its due to kids playing with it... i call bs.
They're right, too many n00bs are triggering the velocity limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.