Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for posts through 2016. The new thread for 2017 is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826119-billpay-walmart-2017-a.html

Bill Pay cannot be done at a regular register.
It must be done at Customer Service/Returns.
Or at the Money Center in stores that have it.

BUSINESS DAY transaction completion time is 18:59:59 EST
Friday after 06:59PM EST, until Monday BEFORE 07:00PM EST arrives Tuesday
Tuesday BEFORE 7:00PM arrives Wednesday
Wednesday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Thursday
Thursday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Friday
Friday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Monday
But when a next-day payment will post and be visible depends upon the CC issuer.

--------------------------------------------------------------
WM offers two BP services: CheckFreePAY and MoneyGram. The cashier can initiate CheckFreePAY by selecting Money Services followed by Bill Pay on the register for a fee of $1-1.88. Moneygram is $4.99.

Once your CFP account is set up, you can add cc. When you want to BP give them your phone# to look up your account under Money Services. They often get confused and think you want MG, but just say it is under Money Services.

ONLY 4 successful debit card swipes can pay for a transaction.

ONLY 5 payments per 16 digit account number per rolling 30 days.
--------------------------------------------
:-:VISA and MC
If your particular card isn't on the list below, try "VISA" or "MASTERCARD."

"VISA" and "MASTERCARD" payee can no longer be found by search at some stores. If the employee can no longer find "VISA" or "MASTERCARD" by searching in CheckFreePAY, then you cannot pay either, end of story.

Following do not work:
Any and all Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA.
Glimcher VISA
MASTERCARD
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Bank of America Cash Rewards Business MC
Barclay (Arrival, US Airways) MC - Posts at 11PM EST, credit available 1AM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold MC
Citi AAdvantage (Platinum Select, Executive, Business) MC - Posts at 3AM EST (+1 day)
Citi ThankYou Preferred MC
CitiBusiness Platinum Select MC
Does not work:
Barclay Business US Airways MC - NOT PAYABLE - tried 2x
VISA
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Barclay Priceline VS
Chase (Amazon, Freedom, Sapphire Preferred, United, Slate) VS - Posts at 10PM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold VS
Citi (AAdvantage, Dividend, ThankYou Preferred) VS
FIA Fidelity VS
PNC CashBuilder VS
US Bank (Cash+, Club Carlson, Flexperks) VS
Wells Fargo Cashback VS
Does not work:
TD Bank VS - [Source]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:-:Issuing Bank

Discover - Use for all Discover network cards
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days.

American Express AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) cannot be paid through CheckFreePAY. Some AMEX cards issued by other banks can be paid.

AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) can be paid using MoneyGram for $4.99

Barclay Listed under barclay - need biller zip - $1.50 next day, $1.00 three days

Bank of America Consumer Loans - Use for BoA-issued and FIA-issued cards; will not work for BofA Small Business cards.
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days. (Will require a ZIP but apparently yours will work as well as theirs, which is 19886)[INDENT]Works:
FIA Fidelity VS & MC
BoA Alaska Airlines Visa
Does not work:
FIA Fidelity AX - No longer working for FIA Amex
BofA Asiana Business card
Capital One
$1.50 next day.
Personal and business CCs
Citibank American Express - Use for Citi-issued AMEX cards
Citi AAdvantage AMEX
PNC Bank - Use for PNC-issued Visa network cards
PNC CashBuilder VS
Warning: Some users have reported being shutdown for using bill pay services.

For money order questions, check the following threads and their wiki posts:
Print Wikipost

Billpay at Walmart(2013-2016)

Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: CITI, Barclay, Fidelity Amex, CC
I did my first BP at Kmart this week; it went through fine in 2 days. Barclay's Arrival paid with an OV. Today I'll try a split payment.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm curious what I am doing wrong. I have yet to have a cashier NOT put my address in. The couple of times that I tried to get them to not put it in (i.e. saying I was told I don't need that), at the very end, the system yells that they must go back and fill something in.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Brugge
Oh man, sometimes I long for a circles and arrows post.

Thanks for your help. There is a very good chance I'm going to have to teach the cashiers how to do this. The last time my cashier was so new to the job she hadn't ever done a BP, nor even heard the phrase "CheckFree Pay Visa". Even the "experienced" cashiers ask for my name, when it's right on the cc they are holding.

So let's see if I've got it now:

CC number
Name
phone number
total amount to be paid
instructions from MO Wiki, depending on screen color
cashier hits debit button
cashier enters swipe amount

then for multiple swipes:
cashier hits debit button again, or just next swipe amount?

Check the receipt, say "thank you" to the cashier, and head out the door to the next WM to do it all again.

TIA
For each swipe, you must do the MO wiki steps before they enter the swipe amount. They cannot though enter anything in on their side before you get to the step of choosing debit. I believe that the cashier I worked with the other day did it while I was putting in my pin so it was sort of simulatenous.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cdancer20
For each swipe, you must do the MO wiki steps before they enter the swipe amount. They cannot though enter anything in on their side before you get to the step of choosing debit. I believe that the cashier I worked with the other day did it while I was putting in my pin so it was sort of simulatenous.
Glad I asked, and especially glad you answered, b/c I wouldn't have suspected I needed to repeat the Wiki steps for each swipe. I imagine you just saved me several hours of frustration. ^
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by birdhands
I did my first BP at Kmart this week; it went through fine in 2 days. Barclay's Arrival paid with an OV. Today I'll try a split payment.
Do you need your bill for BP at Kmart?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:19 pm

Today someone made me fill out the red and white Moneygram form even though the BP was for Checkfreepay. No matter what I've said that its a separate system would'nt listen.

After giving the form, went through the 2k BP fine but not sure what will do with that form. Some dumb ppl really.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:52 pm

Ok, I went back to Kmart and the split transaction was a no go. Instead I did 3 separate $500 BPs to the same card, paying the $1.50 fee 3x. About .3%. Two managers tried their best to split it.
No need for a statement or bill. I just brought the card in.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:56 pm

Ok, I went back to Kmart and the split transaction was a no go. Instead I did 3 separate $500 BPs to the same card, paying the $1.50 fee 3x. About .3%. Two managers tried their best to split it.
No need for a statement or bill. I just brought the card in.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have to specify to pay Visa for a Chase card, etc like Walmart or will they be able to deduce that from the card you give them? I will be swinging by Kmart this evening to give it a try...
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:41 pm

I gave him my Arrival and he asked if it was a Sears card. I told him to just BP to Mastercard.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:06 pm

I gave him my Arrival and he asked if it was a Sears card. I told him to just BP to Mastercard.
I tried to BP my AA Citi Mastercard and/or Hyatt Chase Visa and had no luck with either at Kmart. They couldn't find Citi Card or Mastercard in the system and Visa was saying my account # was invalid. Maybe I'll try another time...WM had no trouble making my BP to Mastercard using OV.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:10 pm

Bp at Kmart

http://www.kmart.com/pay-bills/dap-120000000263099 Site states pin based debit cards for BP, and CC are also paid. My local store told me "cash only" but that was 3 months ago. I will check it out this weekend and report back!!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:22 pm

Hardly anyone does this at Blue Light Special, so they just make up rules
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Ugh, just went thru the wringer at WM. Cashier I'd worked with before was with a customer, and I should have just waited for him. Instead went to the woman who was free, who it turned out had no clue. She was skeptical, but willing to try, if reluctantly.

I gave her the instructions, and all went pretty well, until she tried to finish it off before I could tell her to use the blue debit button. She tried to go back a step but no luck.

She called over a manager, who told me in no uncertain terms "you can't do that here". I thought she meant a new store policy, but no she said "WM doesn't allow it". I did not want to lose this local store for BP, so I stood my ground and told her I'd done it there many times before. She looked like she thought I was making that up, so I pointed at the cashier I worked with before, and said "he's done it for me many times". She said ok, let him do it then.

He didn't know the new policy, but he was willing to follow my (printed out} instructions, as I read them to him, step by step, and was clearly pleased when it worked. We got the full $1998, plus $1.88, approved. I shook his hand and thanked him as he smiled this big grin.

As I left, I heard the manager ask my cashier if he had done Express Pay, and he said yes. Luckily, she didn't seem miffed at having been proven wrong, she seemed fine with it all.

Now that I've got a local Kate and a local Kent, I'm all set.

Many Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out.....
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:45 am

A Billpay at K-Mart thread would be the bees knees, to put the useful information where it belongs.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Ugh, just went thru the wringer at WM. Cashier I'd worked with before was with a customer, and I should have just waited for him. Instead went to the woman who was free, who it turned out had no clue. She was skeptical, but willing to try, if reluctantly.

I gave her the instructions, and all went pretty well, until she tried to finish it off before I could tell her to use the blue debit button. She tried to go back a step but no luck.

She called over a manager, who told me in no uncertain terms "you can't do that here". I thought she meant a new store policy, but no she said "WM doesn't allow it". I did not want to lose this local store for BP, so I stood my ground and told her I'd done it there many times before. She looked like she thought I was making that up, so I pointed at the cashier I worked with before, and said "he's done it for me many times". She said ok, let him do it then.

He didn't know the new policy, but he was willing to follow my (printed out} instructions, as I read them to him, step by step, and was clearly pleased when it worked. We got the full $1998, plus $1.88, approved. I shook his hand and thanked him as he smiled this big grin.

As I left, I heard the manager ask my cashier if he had done Express Pay, and he said yes. Luckily, she didn't seem miffed at having been proven wrong, she seemed fine with it all.

Now that I've got a local Kate and a local Kent, I'm all set.

Many Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out.....
Yay! Glad you got the steps to work for you. It is a big confusing when they change and sometimes I even forget the steps from one visit to the next but soon you will get the rhythm.

Out of curiousity though, what did the manager say that they didn't do? CheckFreePay?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.