Billpay at Walmart(2013-2016)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 27, 17, 2:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
This is the thread for posts through 2016. The new thread for 2017 is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...rt-2017-a.html

Bill Pay cannot be done at a regular register.
It must be done at Customer Service/Returns.
Or at the Money Center in stores that have it.


BUSINESS DAY transaction completion time is 18:59:59 EST
Friday after 06:59PM EST, until Monday BEFORE 07:00PM EST arrives Tuesday
Tuesday BEFORE 7:00PM arrives Wednesday
Wednesday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Thursday
Thursday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Friday
Friday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Monday
But when a next-day payment will post and be visible depends upon the CC issuer.

--------------------------------------------------------------
WM offers two BP services: CheckFreePAY and MoneyGram. The cashier can initiate CheckFreePAY by selecting Money Services followed by Bill Pay on the register for a fee of $1-1.88. Moneygram is $4.99.

Once your CFP account is set up, you can add cc. When you want to BP give them your phone# to look up your account under Money Services. They often get confused and think you want MG, but just say it is under Money Services.

ONLY 4 successful debit card swipes can pay for a transaction.

ONLY 5 payments per 16 digit account number per rolling 30 days.
--------------------------------------------
VISA and MC
If your particular card isn't on the list below, try "VISA" or "MASTERCARD."

"VISA" and "MASTERCARD" payee can no longer be found by search at some stores. If the employee can no longer find "VISA" or "MASTERCARD" by searching in CheckFreePAY, then you cannot pay either, end of story.

Following do not work:
Any and all Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA.
Glimcher VISA
MASTERCARD
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Bank of America Cash Rewards Business MC
Barclay (Arrival, US Airways) MC - Posts at 11PM EST, credit available 1AM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold MC
Citi AAdvantage (Platinum Select, Executive, Business) MC - Posts at 3AM EST (+1 day)
Citi ThankYou Preferred MC
CitiBusiness Platinum Select MC
Does not work:
Barclay Business US Airways MC - NOT PAYABLE - tried 2x
VISA
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Barclay Priceline VS
Chase (Amazon, Freedom, Sapphire Preferred, United, Slate) VS - Posts at 10PM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold VS
Citi (AAdvantage, Dividend, ThankYou Preferred) VS
FIA Fidelity VS
PNC CashBuilder VS
US Bank (Cash+, Club Carlson, Flexperks) VS
Wells Fargo Cashback VS
Does not work:
TD Bank VS - [Source]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issuing Bank

Discover - Use for all Discover network cards
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days.

American Express AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) cannot be paid through CheckFreePAY. Some AMEX cards issued by other banks can be paid.

AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) can be paid using MoneyGram for $4.99

Barclay Listed under barclay - need biller zip - $1.50 next day, $1.00 three days

Bank of America Consumer Loans - Use for BoA-issued and FIA-issued cards; will not work for BofA Small Business cards.
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days. (Will require a ZIP but apparently yours will work as well as theirs, which is 19886)[INDENT]Works:
FIA Fidelity VS & MC
BoA Alaska Airlines Visa
Does not work:
FIA Fidelity AX - No longer working for FIA Amex
BofA Asiana Business card
Capital One
$1.50 next day.
Personal and business CCs
Citibank American Express - Use for Citi-issued AMEX cards
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days.
Citi AAdvantage AMEX
PNC Bank - Use for PNC-issued Visa network cards
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days.
PNC CashBuilder VS
Warning: Some users have reported being shutdown for using bill pay services.


For money order questions, check the following threads and their wiki posts:
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 1, 13, 12:49 am
  #16  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LAX
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by TheChallenge View Post
One avenue I've wondered about, but never tried, is if you could unload prepaids to a regular debit card attached to a checking account using the bill pay system. This would eliminate the need to buy MO all the time.
exactly what I was thinking amigo. Will try it out.
aegt123 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 13, 1:03 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by TheChallenge View Post
...It's similar in concept to how a merchant will use the Visa network to process a refund in store.
Does this reduce the credit card points in any way? I know refunds do reduce the number of points awarded at the end of the billing cycle - does that happen with payments too processed through the visa bill pay system?
huntdealz123 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 13, 1:39 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Western US
Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 554
Originally Posted by huntdealz123 View Post
Does this reduce the credit card points in any way? I know refunds do reduce the number of points awarded at the end of the billing cycle - does that happen with payments too processed through the visa bill pay system?
No, points are not deducted. The payment at WM does not have any impact on points at all. The payment actually even shows up as a mail in check payment on Citi. I can't remember what it shows up as on Chase and Amex, but it counts as a payment the same way as a payment from Bluebird.
TheChallenge is offline  
Old Jun 1, 13, 4:45 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PHL (kinda, no airport is really close)
Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Posts: 3,091
It took me some time to figure out, but you can pay Visa and Mastercards at WM by paying "Visa" or "Mastercard." It costs $1.88. It does not post in one day. Usually 2-3.

I have a related question.

I tried to pay my Fidelity Amex at WM and could not. "American Express" did not work. This card is processed through FIA Card Services. Does anyone know how to pay this card?
redtop43 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 13, 5:00 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DEN
Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,816
american express and your card number will work. I've done billpay on a DL Reserve Amex, Ink Bold, CSP, Citi AA
apolloms is offline  
Old Jun 1, 13, 6:16 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,689
Originally Posted by apolloms View Post
american express and your card number will work. I've done billpay on a DL Reserve Amex, Ink Bold, CSP, Citi AA
So you guys are using WM and paying a few $$ to pay your CC bill instead of using the free bill pay service from BB? [(which I don't use for paying CC anyway)]

Maybe I am missing something here, (but unless you are short on payment time, I don't see the benefit over BB--unless it's just an 'additional usage type thing')
shoreline is offline  
Old Jun 1, 13, 6:44 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DEN
Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,816
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
So you guys are using WM and paying a few $$ to pay your CC bill instead of using the free bill pay service from BB? [(which I don't use for paying CC anyway)]

Maybe I am missing something here, (but unless you are short on payment time, I don't see the benefit over BB--unless it's just an 'additional usage type thing')
Yeah

Last edited by apolloms; Jun 4, 13 at 10:04 pm
apolloms is offline  
Old Jun 1, 13, 6:51 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 939
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
It took me some time to figure out, but you can pay Visa and Mastercards at WM by paying "Visa" or "Mastercard." It costs $1.88. It does not post in one day. Usually 2-3.

I have a related question.

I tried to pay my Fidelity Amex at WM and could not. "American Express" did not work. This card is processed through FIA Card Services. Does anyone know how to pay this card?
The fake Amex cards have to be paid to their respective banks.

Fidelity Amex is underwritten by FIA Bank (Bank of America).

Tell them to look up Bank of America Credit Card and use the CC number.
It will get credited appropriately.
KYBOSH is offline  
Old Jun 3, 13, 3:29 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: SF Bay area
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
So you guys are using WM and paying a few $$ to pay your CC bill instead of using the free bill pay service from BB? [(which I don't use for paying CC anyway)]

Maybe I am missing something here, (but unless you are short on payment time, I don't see the benefit over BB--unless it's just an 'additional usage type thing')
BB has monthly limit, while WM BP has no limit?
shel is offline  
Old Jun 3, 13, 5:56 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Western US
Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 554
Correct, WM billpay at a money center register has no monthly limit. I asked the other day what the per transaction amount limit was being curious, and was told what I thought was a surprisingly large amount of $9999.99.

I'm sure it's that amount to avoid having to ever fill out CTR paperwork for one transaction, but still I wasn't expecting WM to have that kind of limit per bill pay transaction.
TheChallenge is offline  
Old Jun 3, 13, 5:59 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,661
Maybe it's just the number digits they can input, Y2K style?
josephstern is offline  
Old Jun 3, 13, 7:07 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: AA, SPG, United, BA Avios, US Airways
Posts: 12
Thumbs up Nice find

So it looks like a perpetual machine with $1.88 each time.
Manik2012 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 13, 9:10 pm
  #28  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LAX
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by Manik2012 View Post
So it looks like a perpetual machine with $1.88 each time.
I don't see any scalable perpetual machine here. If you keep paying your CC company more than your bill and keep asking for a check back, they will shut you down real soon. You can't send money to your debit card. See details below.

Originally Posted by TheChallenge View Post
Correct, WM billpay at a money center register has no monthly limit. I asked the other day what the per transaction amount limit was being curious, and was told what I thought was a surprisingly large amount of $9999.99.

I'm sure it's that amount to avoid having to ever fill out CTR paperwork for one transaction, but still I wasn't expecting WM to have that kind of limit per bill pay transaction.
I thought walmart doesn't allow transcations over 8999.99. Can someone please confirm which one of the two it is?

Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
It took me some time to figure out, but you can pay Visa and Mastercards at WM by paying "Visa" or "Mastercard." It costs $1.88. It does not post in one day. Usually 2-3.
Just paid off my Chase Saphire Visa card by using their bill pay and sending the payment to Visa. Charged me $1.5 for the service.

Originally Posted by TheChallenge View Post
One avenue I've wondered about, but never tried, is if you could unload prepaids to a regular debit card attached to a checking account using the bill pay system. This would eliminate the need to buy MO all the time.
This is what I learnt today. There are two ways to send money from your debit card to another bank at Walmart.

The first is via the billpay system, which has been described in this thread by TheChallenge. Basically, you can pay off a credit by searching for that bank in their list of banks. American Express is listed in their database. I successfully paid off my Amex Bussiness Gold card using their billpay system for $1.50. Chase Credit cards is not listed in their system, so you can pay off a Chase card by either searching for Visa or Mastercard. Paid off my Chase Saphire Visa card today using this method for $1.5. Now I am not sure why I am being charged $1.5 as the service is being advertised as $1.88 for next day and 0.88 for 3 days. I didn't bother too much about the exact charge as it is still pennies and this was going to be a one time transaction.

The second is to load money onto a card the same way you load money on bluebird. Their POS code for this transaction is '70 + Action' . The cost for this transaction is $3

I tried both of these methods to load money on two different debit cards.
Debit card # 1: Big bank Visa debit card
Debit card #2: Master debit card associated with a checking account at an online only bank.

Method 1: Searched and found the big bank in the Walmart database. Got an error saying that the biller has rejected the account number. Then we tried using both the Visa and Mastercard and that failed as well.
Method 2: The POS asked for my PIN after swiping both debit cards 1 & 2. After the PIN was successfully accepeted, their system processed the transaction as Cashout. Meaning the system was going to take the money out of the debit cards instead of putting it back in.

In summary, I was unsuccessful in loading money onto a regular debit card at Walmart.
aegt123 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 13, 9:24 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Western US
Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 554
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Maybe it's just the number digits they can input, Y2K style?
Could be, as anything above that would require an additional digit to key in which the registers might not be equipped to do. $10,000 would look like 000000 on a register that has six digits slots. The cashier did say though that someone tried to pay an Amex bill completely off that was over $10k, but the CheckFreePay system only accepted finally $9999.99 after a few tries of guessing what may be accepted.

Originally Posted by Manik2012 View Post
So it looks like a perpetual machine with $1.88 each time.
Only problem is you have to find a debit card or prepaid card that won't shut you down real quick for making numerous large debit purchases. I find it better to keep my transactions within the reasonable range and pay off half the outstanding balance or so at a time.
TheChallenge is offline  
Old Jun 3, 13, 9:44 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Western US
Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 554
Originally Posted by aegt123 View Post
I don't see any scalable perpetual machine here. If you keep paying your CC company more than your bill and keep asking for a check back, they will shut you down real soon. You can't send money to your debit card. See details below.
Yes, I don't think anyone should pay off more than what you currently have outstanding on your bill. Expecting your CC issuer to constantly be sending refund checks will get you shut down real quick.

Originally Posted by aegt123 View Post
I thought walmart doesn't allow transcations over 8999.99. Can someone please confirm which one of the two it is?
I've never personally done either, but I just mentioned something in another post about what a cashier had experience attempting. In her attempt $9999.99 went through to Amex, but nothing over.

Originally Posted by aegt123 View Post

Method 1: Searched and found the big bank in the Walmart database. Got an error saying that the biller has rejected the account number. Then we tried using both the Visa and Mastercard and that failed as well.
Method 2: The POS asked for my PIN after swiping both debit cards 1 & 2. After the PIN was successfully accepeted, their system processed the transaction as Cashout. Meaning the system was going to take the money out of the debit cards instead of putting it back in.

In summary, I was unsuccessful in loading money onto a regular debit card at Walmart.
It's disappointing to hear these both didn't work. I thought method one held the most potential to actually work.
TheChallenge is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread