Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for posts through 2016. The new thread for 2017 is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826119-billpay-walmart-2017-a.html

Bill Pay cannot be done at a regular register.
It must be done at Customer Service/Returns.
Or at the Money Center in stores that have it.

BUSINESS DAY transaction completion time is 18:59:59 EST
Friday after 06:59PM EST, until Monday BEFORE 07:00PM EST arrives Tuesday
Tuesday BEFORE 7:00PM arrives Wednesday
Wednesday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Thursday
Thursday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Friday
Friday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Monday
But when a next-day payment will post and be visible depends upon the CC issuer.

--------------------------------------------------------------
WM offers two BP services: CheckFreePAY and MoneyGram. The cashier can initiate CheckFreePAY by selecting Money Services followed by Bill Pay on the register for a fee of $1-1.88. Moneygram is $4.99.

Once your CFP account is set up, you can add cc. When you want to BP give them your phone# to look up your account under Money Services. They often get confused and think you want MG, but just say it is under Money Services.

ONLY 4 successful debit card swipes can pay for a transaction.

ONLY 5 payments per 16 digit account number per rolling 30 days.
--------------------------------------------
:-:VISA and MC
If your particular card isn't on the list below, try "VISA" or "MASTERCARD."

"VISA" and "MASTERCARD" payee can no longer be found by search at some stores. If the employee can no longer find "VISA" or "MASTERCARD" by searching in CheckFreePAY, then you cannot pay either, end of story.

Following do not work:
Any and all Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA.
Glimcher VISA
MASTERCARD
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Bank of America Cash Rewards Business MC
Barclay (Arrival, US Airways) MC - Posts at 11PM EST, credit available 1AM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold MC
Citi AAdvantage (Platinum Select, Executive, Business) MC - Posts at 3AM EST (+1 day)
Citi ThankYou Preferred MC
CitiBusiness Platinum Select MC
Does not work:
Barclay Business US Airways MC - NOT PAYABLE - tried 2x
VISA
$1.88 next day.
Works:
Barclay Priceline VS
Chase (Amazon, Freedom, Sapphire Preferred, United, Slate) VS - Posts at 10PM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold VS
Citi (AAdvantage, Dividend, ThankYou Preferred) VS
FIA Fidelity VS
PNC CashBuilder VS
US Bank (Cash+, Club Carlson, Flexperks) VS
Wells Fargo Cashback VS
Does not work:
TD Bank VS - [Source]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:-:Issuing Bank

Discover - Use for all Discover network cards
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days.

American Express AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) cannot be paid through CheckFreePAY. Some AMEX cards issued by other banks can be paid.

AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) can be paid using MoneyGram for $4.99

Barclay Listed under barclay - need biller zip - $1.50 next day, $1.00 three days

Bank of America Consumer Loans - Use for BoA-issued and FIA-issued cards; will not work for BofA Small Business cards.
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days. (Will require a ZIP but apparently yours will work as well as theirs, which is 19886)[INDENT]Works:
FIA Fidelity VS & MC
BoA Alaska Airlines Visa
Does not work:
FIA Fidelity AX - No longer working for FIA Amex
BofA Asiana Business card
Capital One
$1.50 next day.
Personal and business CCs
Citibank American Express - Use for Citi-issued AMEX cards
Citi AAdvantage AMEX
PNC Bank - Use for PNC-issued Visa network cards
PNC CashBuilder VS
Warning: Some users have reported being shutdown for using bill pay services.

For money order questions, check the following threads and their wiki posts:
Print Wikipost

Billpay at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by bribro

No one knows what triggers shut downs for sure, but there are two recent account closure stories where the posters suspect it may be related to WM BP. I figured that would be relevant to this thread.
I, for one, appreciate you posting that link. I wasn't keeping up with that thread and was not aware of that possible shutdown scenario.

But you did link to the wrong page: Link

Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by vinhboy
I, for one, appreciate you posting that link. I wasn't keeping up with that thread and was not aware of that possible shutdown scenario.
You're welcome. A Chase shut down would put a big dent in my CC strategy, so I'm not interested in rocking the boat. Thankfully, I've never used WM BP because I'm aware of new regulations related to money laundering that could make it a risky venture. Tread lightly.

Originally Posted by vinhboy
But you did link to the wrong page: Link

I have FT set to show 40 posts per page (the maximum), which is why page 8 is the last page of that thread.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thankfully, I've never used WM BP because I'm aware of new regulations related to money laundering that could make it a risky venture.
What "new regulations" make it a "risky venture" in what way? If you are going to come here and spread fear about something that is essential to our little hobby, you could at least post specific data points.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:24 pm

As far as I know, BB payments to CC use the same system (CheckFree BillPay) as WM BP... They show up on some of my CC statements exactly the same way
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by Brugge
What "new regulations" make it a "risky venture" in what way? If you are going to come here and spread fear about something that is essential to our little hobby, you could at least post specific data points.
I'm not "spreading fear," I'm just giving people something to think about before they go too crazy with this method. People are reporting Chase account shut downs, and according to those same people, they suspect it has something to do with their WM BP activity. You don't think that information might be of interest to some people in this thread?

It's no secret that the big banks are under increased scrutiny as a result of Dodd-Frank, the PATRIOT Act, etc., which have lead to "enhanced" KYC/AML procedures being rolled out. For example, Chase branches recently (March 31, 2014) instituted a policy that requires customers to present identification when making cash deposits. Starting in July, only account owners or authorized signers will be allowed to make cash deposits into personal accounts. Chase no longer delivers foreign currency directly to customer's homes. And I'm sure there's more to come.

I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to deduce that multiple $800 (or whatever) bill payments coming from a third-party may raise some red flags at Chase. But if you don't believe that, by all means, go all out. I don't care.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I'm not "spreading fear," I'm just giving people something to think about before they go too crazy with this method. People are reporting Chase account shut downs, and according to those same people, they suspect it has something to do with their WM BP activity. You don't think that information might be of interest to some people in this thread?

It's no secret that the big banks are under increased scrutiny as a result of Dodd-Frank, the PATRIOT Act, etc., which have lead to "enhanced" KYC/AML procedures being rolled out. For example, Chase branches recently (March 31, 2014) instituted a policy that requires customers to present identification when making cash deposits. Starting in July, only account owners or authorized signers will be allowed to make cash deposits into personal accounts. Chase no longer delivers foreign currency directly to customer's homes. And I'm sure there's more to come.

I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to deduce that multiple $800 (or whatever) bill payments coming from a third-party may raise some red flags at Chase. But if you don't believe that, by all means, go all out. I don't care.
Thanks for the specific data points. ^
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
IMO, AMEX killed this capability for what they think are good reasons
anonymous payments
This is not the reason...I wish someone would 'annonymously' pay my cc. Pretty sure its the acct holder making payments 99.9999% of the time
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
This is not the reason...I wish someone would 'annonymously' pay my cc. Pretty sure its the acct holder making payments 99.9999% of the time
If you were a terrorist I bet you can obtain some anonymous funding.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:24 pm

Went today to do my first BP at Walmart. They said I couldn't just use VISA or Mastercard to do my CC payments. After further questions, I found out that they don't use the CheckFreePay system. I'm assuming that is the system that allows CC payments to VISA and Mastercard. They use the MoneyGram ExpressPayment Service. With that service, you need your CC code, which is specific to the credit card, and is supposed to be 4 digits. Anyone know where I can find that information for my Citi Dividend Mastercard and Citi Dividend VISA, and Fidelity AMEX? Or I'm out of luck? Living in PR is turning out to be a mistake for my MS needs.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:24 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:12 am
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:36 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:12 am
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by MsArbi
They have the CheckFreePay system. The cashier just isn't selecting it. The second sentence in the wiki:
Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MsArbi
All of the reported Chase AA involve excessive MO deposits or excessive accumulation of rewards through MS. WM BP seems coincidental. It's possible that excessive BP could have drawn attention to an account which had excessive MS activity. There are no reports of any shutdowns of high volume legitimate spending accounts that were paid off using WM BP or any other external BP service. The examples you cite about cash deposits and foreign currency are mitigation measures to reduce the risk of failure to comply with AML but don't apply to external BP of CC accounts.

I think it's far fetched that Chase or any FI would consider third party BP services as a high risk for potential ML. They don't have visibility into the original source of funds behind a third party BP. So it is on the BP provider, or really the MSB offering the BP services, that has the primary burden of looking for potential ML.
Precisely the part the banks do not know the source of the funds, that got them nervous as they are under the regulatory requirements to "know their customers".

FYI, I know a person whose ST account was shut down last year, shortly after he made bill pays at WM and K-mart for consecutive months (and in large amount).

I think anyone doing BP is naive not to keep the risk factor in mind, especially those who pay multiple $1998 many times to the same card.

Unless the bank knows you as a person, and understand what you are doing, (in this case, MO deposits if understood, actually is far preferred), even so, they may still dont want to bear the burden of meeting compliance requirement which is very costly. Chase has been fined multiple Billions recently as a result for various failures in compliance over the past few years. Dodd-Frank and Patriot Act have put a lot of burden on the banks and it is little wonder irregular activities would make the banks fire the customers. Let's face it, the BP and MO deposits, are definitely not regular activities that an ordinary customer would engage, at least not to the degree folks are doing here.

Also FWIW, it usually takes big banks 3 to 6 months to take AA, just when you think the coast is clear. Big banks do not act fast. A few weeks ago I got a call from Chase questioning a January Wire In amount that was ACHed out the next day. And that is a regular occurrence for the past 2.5 years, has nothing to do with MS. The wired in amount is reported to the IRS, fully subj to income tax. We offered to bring full documentation of the regular wires to a branch manager if they specify a branch where we can go to provide the material. I did tell the Chase guy that if they dont like it or want to close the account, the bank needs to give ample advance notice because it is a PITA to set up the wire which is on standing instruction once set up. We have not heard back yet. May be the guy is satisfied, especially we informed him full documentation is available any time.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 30, 2014 at 12:13 am
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:01 am

Wait...you cann billpay at Kmart???
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by jjangoo
Exactly. The original story always starts out innocently enough, but after a little probing it turns out they were pushing 6 figure MS every month with a 8k CL.. or something profoundly stupid like that.

Go read the Chase A/A thread on DDF. You'll quickly learn that shutdowns don't occur because of WM BP, per se. They mostly occur when you mix stupidity with greed.
A clear voice of reason. Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.