Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Does Amex consider gift cards "cash equivalents"?

Does Amex consider gift cards "cash equivalents"?

Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
AMEX Gold new T&C??

Just read this on the T&C for the Amex Gold Personal:

For each dollar charged of an eligible purchase in each billing period on your Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express you will earn one point for each dollar of eligible purchases. You will earn: 2 additional points (for a total of 3 points) for airfare on a scheduled flight charged directly with passenger airlines (charter flights and private jet flights are excluded); 1 additional point (for a total of 2 points) for gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations); and 1 additional point (for a total of 2 points) for purchases at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets). Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply.

Is this something new??
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:54 pm

That's always been there as far as I know.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
That's always been there as far as I know.
oh good!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:55 pm

Is anybody else still getting 5% on CVS VR purchase on their old Blue cashe card in June? Please note that the rewards statement will be one month behind, so July Blue cash statement should show June statement period's earned rewards.

But the RewardsTracker should show your YTD spending earnings (till last statement closing date), anyone is still earning full 5% on all CVS purchase in June/July?

I'm just curious if this is system-wide Blue Cash change or it's targeting individuals.

Last edited by chespeak2002; Jul 16, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
I was FR and smashed by Amex for Cash Equiv's
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
I was FR and smashed by Amex for Cash Equiv's
Care to provide more details such as:

- When?
- What questions were asked?
- What were your responses?
- What were their responses?
- What actions were taken?
- What card was this on?
- How much $$ are we talking over what period of time?
- What were your patterns?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:08 pm

Well I had a little incident today. Went to CVS to buy $1000 worth of VR's. Had 2 of them and also a bottled water. Cashier tried 2 times and both times register use different tender. I then tried to buy a single $500 OneVanilla prepaid Visa and register said the same. I was kind of mad that now, not only were they possibly exempting payout or miles awarded, but it looked like Amex was actively blocking purchases of prepaid cards and refills. Cashier tried to ask manager and manager looked at card and said register was doing that because I could only pay cash for refills or purchases of prepaid Visa. By this point i was embarrassed of holding up the line so I decided to just leave.

Went to a different CVS and card was declined again. This time I called Amex and they said they had blocked the card because people will quickly buy up prepaid Visas and VR's once they get a hold of a stolen credit card so they wanted to "make sure" my card wasn't stolen. The funny thing is that I was never contacted or received any kind of alert.

It's starting to sound like life will be made difficult for those of us doing MS. Not that I've had any problem whatsoever with my Chase UC Visa.

Anyways, I'm beating myself for being late to the MS game but here's to getting a worthwhile amount of miles out of it before the game comes to an end.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:56 pm

Finally broke down and called. Rep seemed pretty clueless but did mention that other people were calling about not getting the correct rewards. She assured me that I would get "everything that's coming to me" (lol) and would escalate it to the appropriate department. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'll give them a week or so.

For me, all Walgreens counted for 5% and all CVS did not. This included small value CVS purchases, not just the $500 gift cards.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
This week at our favorite drug store I had a card declined (Amex and UR) and then accepted on the same transaction in different stores. The cashiers were diligent. One called a supervisor over and she wanted to know if I was using a gift card to purchase...which I could have been, but wasn't. We'll see if there is anything to this or a fluke. I have Amex gc coming and will be trying my luck.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
Finally broke down and called. Rep seemed pretty clueless but did mention that other people were calling about not getting the correct rewards. She assured me that I would get "everything that's coming to me" (lol) and would escalate it to the appropriate department. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'll give them a week or so.

For me, all Walgreens counted for 5% and all CVS did not. This included small value CVS purchases, not just the $500 gift cards.
Also noted that my VRs from CVS were not awarded 5% this last statement, but instead fell into the other spending category at 1% for the first time. I had a mix of both regular spending transactions and regular spending transactions with a VR or 2 thrown in. I can't make out any rhyme or reason as to which purchases/portions of purchases fell into the 5% rewards (a very small portion of my overall 'pharmacy' did, in in fact, earn 5%) on my old BC card. I strongly hope it's a coding mistake on their end, but I don't want folks at AmEx looking too much at my transactions - I don't want to poke the bear...Hmmm...

Last edited by ryguysd; Aug 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm Reason: add more detail
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:53 pm

Just got BC preferred... probably will hit 3k in groceries a year, going to try to make up the other 3k with gc's spread out over a year or so. Maybe a $500 card here and there won't cause issues.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:27 am

Question On Gift Cards - Amazon, Itunes etc

All, I know there is a lot of talk about Visa Gift Cards, Vanilla Reloads etc but my question is are AMEX etc clamping down on vendor gift cards like Amazon, iTunes, Restaurant cards et >?

The reason I ask is that I don't do a lot of VISA cards etc but I would like to purchase merchant cards as I do that already as part of my regular annual purchases on bog standard credit cards, new to AMEX, Chase etc so interested how they look at this

Thanks

WC
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Wildcatz1
All, I know there is a lot of talk about Visa Gift Cards, Vanilla Reloads etc but my question is are AMEX etc clamping down on vendor gift cards like Amazon, iTunes, Restaurant cards et >?

The reason I ask is that I don't do a lot of VISA cards etc but I would like to purchase merchant cards as I do that already as part of my regular annual purchases on bog standard credit cards, new to AMEX, Chase etc so interested how they look at this

Thanks

WC
Nobody is going to care about a few hundred in regular gift cards.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:24 am

Can anyone give an update to this thread? Are reloads/ Visa GC's given 5% back?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Corridor!
Can anyone give an update to this thread? Are reloads/ Visa GC's given 5% back?
Wells Fargo CC 5% cash back for 6 months, Charter One CC 5% cash back for 3 months. They don't care if you bought ice cream or vanilla beans at Cee Vee eS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.