FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Manufactured Spend HK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1466338-manufactured-spend-hk.html)

ChuckMango May 12, 2013 12:00 am

Manufactured Spend HK

Recently moved to HK and want to continue my ms spend here. Was doing pretty well in the US and miss it. I realize most of you do not give a rats ... about HK and rightly so, but I am hopeful there are some folks that live around these parts that are interested in the game.

I have been here a few weeks and have one scheme that looks promising that may be able to scale. This is using the octopus reloadable card which is very common around here.

Step 1: Buy octopus card at mtr for min of 150HKD

Step 2: Sign-up for AAVS which allows you to reload card w/ cc for up to $1000HKD

Step 3: Cash-out card for free at mtr stations

Step 4: Rinse and repeat.

Problem is that you have to surrender your card when cashing out and you need to start all over with a brand new card. Even worse they have a $1000HKD limit which is 130 bucks. Lastly someone said in another thread that only HK cc work but that is not too much of an issue as there are similar schemes to the us.

Happy to keep stuff on a PM basis as well, lets get our minds together as I sense there are mroe opportunities out there. There are a fwe cards that seem to be churnable based on their t and c's and will give those a shot.

There also appears to be stackable opportunities which I am experimenting with.

WeddingSpend May 12, 2013 1:24 am

Not manufacturing spend, but the HSBC Premier credit card has a few good promos once in a while. Recently, they had one where it equated to something like 6% cash back for spending money overseas. I almost used that card here in the U.S. where I actually live except this card issued in HK charges FX fees. Also, the benefit was capped at something around $300 to $500 so I didn't think it was worth my time in dealing with it.

ChuckMango May 12, 2013 4:09 am

Good info, thanks.

therabbit May 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Cathay Pacific Amex is worth looking into

WeddingSpend May 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by WeddingSpend (Post 20736925)
Not manufacturing spend, but the HSBC Premier credit card has a few good promos once in a while. Recently, they had one where it equated to something like 6% cash back for spending money overseas. I almost used that card here in the U.S. where I actually live except this card issued in HK charges FX fees. Also, the benefit was capped at something around $300 to $500 so I didn't think it was worth my time in dealing with it.

That should've said spending on which the benefits applied was capped at something about $300 to $500 .

all168 May 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks for the info, does anyone know if I can use US base citibank card to reload? Is there any citibank card has no foreign transaction fee? except Prestige, Executive and premier?

ChuckMango May 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Dont think that works. Was told only hk cards work. Will try and report back...

Ragnarok May 27, 2013 12:48 pm

AAVS requires a personalized Octopus card.

There is an HK$100 application fee. A HK$10 fee may also apply when you return the personalized Octopus card.

The issuing bank of the credit card may also charge for a fee when you change the Octopus card associated with AAVS.

ThaTrik Jul 30, 2014 1:26 pm

Relocating to HK in about 60hrs. Will definitely be researching heavily!

ChuckMango Jul 30, 2014 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by ThaTrik (Post 23283150)
Relocating to HK in about 60hrs. Will definitely be researching heavily!

Welcome... glad to have you on-board not many of us in HK doing this type of thing. Not much to do either except some isolated stuff but things are not as bad as initially thought either. Please keep in touch!

ericdabbs Jul 30, 2014 7:35 pm

HAHA..could you imagine if the 7-11's in HK sold PP cash cards or OneVanillas. That would be so funny.

cjwong88 Sep 14, 2014 11:03 am

Originally Posted by ChuckMango (Post 23284121)
Welcome... glad to have you on-board not many of us in HK doing this type of thing. Not much to do either except some isolated stuff but things are not as bad as initially thought either. Please keep in touch!

I just moved to HK two weeks ago and was trying to get a handle on current MS opportunities...if anyone has any starter hints would love to hear! Do you guys have any MS discussion gatherings out here by the way?

therabbit Sep 14, 2014 5:24 pm

octopus card is a painless way to liquidate indeed

HGHUA Nov 9, 2014 11:49 pm

I was talking to someone who is knowledgeable in this area and he said the best schemes he has was either iphone 6s or buying grocery/drugstore gift cards and selling them to some guy, but at a loss rate of 4%.

dillame May 6, 2015 2:46 am

even worse now, the max AAVS value is only $500, and because you of your HKID being binded to the service records I'm reluctant to rinse and repeat this process.

can't seem to find a proper way to MS in HK, feel like i'm missing out :(