No more 5X points on OfficeDepot gc?

Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:16 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

No more 5X points on OfficeDepot gc?

Today I went to my local OD to buy gc to load to amex target. The store manager told me she got an internal memo from the corporate that all gift card purchases "WILL NOT" receive points on the CC and it starts at April 20. Has anyone heard anything similar from their local OD? How does OD know what I purchase? My statement won't close for another 3 weeks so I won't know if my gc purchase will get additional points or not.

I also wonder if I purchase gc from Staple or OfficeMax will still get 5X points on gc purchase.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
It's possible that from now on they will code the transaction differently? Don't know if the MCC is static for a register or if it can change dynamically depending on the nature of the purchase
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by thebluejean
Today I went to my local OD to buy gc to load to amex target. The store manager told me she got an internal memo from the corporate that all gift card purchases "WILL NOT" receive points on the CC and it starts at April 20. Has anyone heard anything similar from their local OD? How does OD know what I purchase? My statement won't close for another 3 weeks so I won't know if my gc purchase will get additional points or not.

I also wonder if I purchase gc from Staple or OfficeMax will still get 5X points on gc purchase.
How would Office Depot know what chase will or won't give credit card points for?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:57 pm

Not true. What Chase gives or doesn't give to its customers is none of OD business nor will they ever receive such a memo.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by phdtomd
How would Office Depot know what chase will or won't give credit card points for?
If there is any truth to the statement by the employee, it could just be "These cards will be cash only", so then they WOULD know that chase won't give points for them!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
That sounds like an employee making stuff up....
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:25 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nep301
That sounds like an employee making stuff up....
Hopefully that's the case that she doesn't know what she is talking about. If it's true, I'm pretty sure we will see reports of people not getting any 5x points on their statement already.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:30 am

If you are worried I don't think it will hurt you by waiting a month.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:56 am

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
If you are worried I don't think it will hurt you by waiting a month.
A month is a long time to wait if you're in this game.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:50 am

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
I don't think that OD gets memos from Chase.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by smitty06
I don't think that OD gets memos from Chase.
Sounds like a jealous employee to me. I'm curious how the topic even came up. I agree with everyone else, OD and Chase wouldn't talk to each other about such things.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: Several dozen
Yeah, next you will be telling us that AMEX and The Mint conspired together to kill the use of AMEX Gift Cards to buy dollar coins in 2011. Never happened, and if it did, we will deny everything.

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." Cardinal Franklin Delano Fang, The Spanish Inquisition, 1933

Originally Posted by dontippet
Sounds like a jealous employee to me. I'm curious how the topic even came up. I agree with everyone else, OD and Chase wouldn't talk to each other about such things.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." Cardinal Franklin Delano Fang, The Spanish Inquisition, 1933
I don't think the quote is quite right. "So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself, and death. Um, the only TWO things we have to fear are fear itself, and death, and.... " etc.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:38 am

How many times have we heard this from OD now?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by echip
A month is a long time to wait if you're in this game.
I have to wait 6 months

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.