Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by ajhardee
Effective February 24, 2015 Evolve is charging 3% for debit and Gift Cards....I have not tried this myself, but received an Email today from Evolve. Can anyone please verify???
Got the same thing. True.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by ajhardee
Effective February 24, 2015 Evolve is charging 3% for debit and Gift Cards....I have not tried this myself, but received an Email today from Evolve. Can anyone please verify???
You got an email directly from Evolve outlining their new policies.
Why are you coming to FT to confirm? They sent you an email. Did you think it was just for you personally?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins
You got an email directly from Evolve outlining their new policies.
Why are you coming to FT to confirm? They sent you an email. Did you think it was just for you personally?
No, it was more of a confirm and notification to those who might not have an Evolve account yet. Earlier in this thread Evolve was mentioned for unloading a gift card.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
No PIN required?

I just had an interesting experience at Walmart. I loaded my Bluebird at the register and did not receive a prompt to enter my pin. The gift card was emptied and the Bluebird was loaded. No signature prompt or pin prompt. Caveat: This was a $25 gift card (US Bank, like the kind found at Kroger). Would the size make a difference? I have never loaded anything less than $100 before. Or is it possible that this was actually run as a credit card and that (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE) Bluebird is going the way of Redbird?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by fivegirls
I just had an interesting experience at Walmart. I loaded my Bluebird at the register and did not receive a prompt to enter my pin. The gift card was emptied and the Bluebird was loaded. No signature prompt or pin prompt. Caveat: This was a $25 gift card (US Bank, like the kind found at Kroger). Would the size make a difference? I have never loaded anything less than $100 before. Or is it possible that this was actually run as a credit card and that (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE) Bluebird is going the way of Redbird?
Visa or MC GC?

What does the receipt say as far as payment method, debit or credit?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Visa or MC GC?

What does the receipt say as far as payment method, debit or credit?
It is a Visa gift card (I just checked and it is Metabank, not US Bank). The receipt indicates a debit load.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:15 pm

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

Gotta keep those receipts and have a system to match them to specific cards.

I bought 20 vanilla GCs during the snow storm this week. 3 of them did not activate. If I didn't have a matching receipt for each of them, I would have been out $1500.

Those cards work so well 96% of the time, but the other 4% can cost a lot, unless you're organized.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by CrediPig
Those cards work so well 96% of the time, but the other 4% can cost a lot, unless you're organized.
What does receipt say for cards not activated?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:33 am

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

May take 24 hours to activate. I was well beyond that.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by CrediPig
Gotta keep those receipts and have a system to match them to specific cards.

I bought 20 vanilla GCs during the snow storm this week. 3 of them did not activate. If I didn't have a matching receipt for each of them, I would have been out $1500.

Are you loading to bluebird with the vanilla or somehow buying mo?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:43 pm

I was intrigued by your report and decided to experiment. I had a $20 Metabank Visa rebate card from Staples with no PIN and tried it on a $20 load. It asked for PIN. Hit the red button and then swiped my real bank debit card. Went through with no PIN.

I can assure you that it did not run as a credit card because the receipt says "EFT DEBIT PAY FROM PRIMARY".
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
I was intrigued by your report and decided to experiment. I had a $20 Metabank Visa rebate card from Staples with no PIN and tried it on a $20 load. It asked for PIN. Hit the red button and then swiped my real bank debit card. Went through with no PIN.
I also experimented with the $20 Visa GC I got from Staples and it went straight to signature screen. I signed thinking it'll be rejected asking for alternate mode of tender but was pleasantly surprised it went through! This happened last week while reports of a glitch was happening, but this was a glitch favorable to me. Can't try it again since I only had one rebate GC
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:42 pm

Walmart changed their system recently so that debit purchases below, I believe it was $50, do not require a pin. This is the same if you are buying something.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by beagledog11
Walmart changed their system recently so that debit purchases below, I believe it was $50, do not require a pin. This is the same if you are buying something.
Does the system recognize a debit card, or could you use a credit card to load Bluebird under $50?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:14 am

No. It recognizes a difference between credit and debit. Just doesn't need a pin for debit < $50

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.