Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
$500 cards worked fine at a register yesterday. No Kates in my area so have never gotten to meet her.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:38 am

I intended to do the workaround for PIN screen to come up while using Vanilla GC was to find out for myself it it will go through as payment for >$50 as debit purchase. That experiment satisfied my curiosity that only transferring funds to prepaids and buying MOs >$50 are the ones that won't go through. I still see people using Vanillas to transfer funds <$50 without issues at the register, it is just time consuming to do so.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:07 am

Yep, I finally ran into it. I've never had an issue with cards in traditional "yellow" packaging, but ran into issue with ones from the new black packaging. The really weird part was:

1. Some went through with Kate just fine.
2. Some did not work at all
3. And one, worked once for $100, but the same card would not work a second time to unload the other $100!

However, all my cards worked just fine at the register. I can't make heads nor tails of this......

So, please specify:

1. Dollar amount card you are having problems with.
2. If it involved KATE.
3. If $200 card, was it in the new or old packaging. I should have looked at account number differences.....
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy

The whole thing of Vanilla cannot be used to buy MO or to load prepaid at WM is, WM uses unconventional method to take fund out from Vanilla when it is used for MO / Prepaid - instead of using Visa/MC network, it is speculated it uses some ACH-like method. Since Bancorp is banned by FDIC to initiate ACH due to its sloppy compliance records, the Vanilla genre stops working at WM.

However at grocery stores where the Vanilla fund is drained via the conventional method, using Visa / MC network, it functions just like a debit card.
Interesting data point. But why will it work for <$50?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: "You are now known as the Lebron James of DYKWIA/Delta/FT" -Thoiboi
Giant has the 2X gas rewards points on US bank MC gift cards, can anyone advise if the US Bank MC gift cards work for buying MO at Walmart?

I recall the MC gift cards pin # used to come on a separate card inside the package however the batch I purchased today have no such pin #, are the MC gift cards now default set to last four digits as pin # (like VGC) or must I call in to set pin for each MC gift card?

Going to dump tomorrow am and want to avoid headaches....

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You have to call and set a pin for each... bit of an inconvenience but can be worth it for the points. Haven't tried using them for MOs.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nistah
Giant has the 2X gas rewards points on US bank MC gift cards, can anyone advise if the US Bank MC gift cards work for buying MO at Walmart?

I recall the MC gift cards pin # used to come on a separate card inside the package however the batch I purchased today have no such pin #, are the MC gift cards now default set to last four digits as pin # (like VGC) or must I call in to set pin for each MC gift card?

Going to dump tomorrow am and want to avoid headaches....

Thanks in advance!
Have you read the Wiki post? Also there is a thread on this very subject some cashier wont take "GC" as payment for MO some will.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:11 pm

is there a workaround for OD/OM $200 Visa GCs loading to Serve at Walmart Kates?

I'm getting the "Tender Not Allowed" error at my Walmart Kate. I'm (trying) to use the last 4 digits on the card.

This is my only Walmart within an 1hr RT drive. I REALLY don't want this Kate to be useless!

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:59 pm

Pin for OM MC

Originally Posted by MilesGator
is there a workaround for OD/OM $200 Visa GCs loading to Serve at Walmart Kates?

I'm getting the "Tender Not Allowed" error at my Walmart Kate. I'm (trying) to use the last 4 digits on the card.

This is my only Walmart within an 1hr RT drive. I REALLY don't want this Kate to be useless!

Call (866) 952-5653 to set pin for OM MC
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:30 pm

Set pin

Originally Posted by MilesGator

To clarify further... That phone # i privided apparently is good for all US Bank issued MC/Visa's ...those are the ones sold at my OM's & OD's
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Unload problem

Last night, I bought 4 x $500 US Bank MasterCard GCs. Set the PIN by phone and tried to buy a $500 money order at grocery store. No luck with any card.

Then I went to WM & same story there as well. Reset PIN again. Automated system indicates $500 balance. I have no clue as to what's wrong. Never had problems with these MCs before.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by tormapleaf
Last night, I bought 4 x $500 US Bank MasterCard GCs. Set the PIN by phone and tried to buy a $500 money order at grocery store. No luck with any card.

Then I went to WM & same story there as well. Reset PIN again. Automated system indicates $500 balance. I have no clue as to what's wrong. Never had problems with these MCs before.
Was there a change payment button on the terminal? Was the total (MO + fee) lower than the available balance on the card?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
At the grocery store, I tell the clerk I will pay first the $500 and then pay the .59 MO fee, so the terminal shows "$500" before I swipe. I do it this way all the time without issues. I got error messages that wrong PIN was used.

At WM, I tried to load $500 to BB. I hit the yellow, "Change Payment" button followed by the "Debit" and "No Cash Back" buttons and then entered the PIN. I tried at the Customer Service desk and Money Center & got error messages stating "Alternate Form of Payment Required". I have been using these cards without incident.

This morning I reset PINs went back to grocery store and same problem. Today, I reset PINS using a landline phone and will try again this evening.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:55 am

I had a problem with a BB load at WM with $200 US Bank MC purchased from Staples. I got the signature panel instead of the PIN panel. I had successfully used a US Bank MC from Ralphs/Kroger in the past.
Anyone successfully used a US Bank MC in the past week?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyerfrog
I had a problem with a BB load at WM with $200 US Bank MC purchased from Staples. I got the signature panel instead of the PIN panel. I had successfully used a US Bank MC from Ralphs/Kroger in the past.
Anyone successfully used a US Bank MC in the past week?
I'm a complete newb but received both my BB card and Hilton cards today. I bought a test VGC at Kroger (USBank) for $100. Called to verify balance and changed pin#. Drove to WM and found Kate. Followed the instructions and completed the transaction. I have read all the horror stories about Kate not working and was very happy. A few hours later I had to run a couple errands and stopped by another Kroger and bought a $500 VGC. Same procedure I verified the amount changed the pin#. Hit the same Kate and deposited with out a hitch to my BB.

Kroger did ask for my DL for both transactions and typed in my DL#. Not sure if that is a normal or bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.