Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by freakflyer
I purchased a couple $200 Mastercard debit cards (the store was out of Visa Cards) and was not able to load them to my BB card. I had activated them before and attached a personal PIN. Neither the PIN I gave nor the last four digits of the card would work.

Am I stuck (not a big deal) using these cards for standard purchases, or is there a way to load them to BB or for a Money Order? Thanks ...
I've only had the Mastercard problem in WalMart. So I take these MCs to Kroger or Food Lion to buy money orders, where they work just fine
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I've only had the Mastercard problem in WalMart. So I take these MCs to Kroger or Food Lion to buy money orders, where they work just fine
Note that I have only been able to get the us bank MCs to work at the kiosk; if you don't have one, you have to be really fast and catch it to enter the pin. I have not been able to get this to work, but others have.

The machines seem to have changed in July; now they break when I hit $2000. If you wait a few minutes between loads, the system will reset.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brandon032586
The machines seem to have changed in July; now they break when I hit $2000. If you wait a few minutes between loads, the system will reset.
Same experience here with the $2K limit. $1999 has worked fine, but an even $2000 locks the kiosk, requiring you to spend 10-15 minutes of quality time wandering around Wmt.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by kjgco
quality time

Hahaha, quote of the year.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by kjgco
requiring you to spend 10-15 minutes of quality time wandering around Wmt.
Originally Posted by ricohitman

Hahaha, quote of the year.
LOL
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:14 am

So I did a GC run yesterday. Usually I hit up a WG around the corner, another one down the street, and one more a couple of miles away for $1000 each. Then, I hit a supermarket next door to the last one for another $1K.

I didn't have the chance to do this that week and we were heading over to our inlaws who live near the WM with kiosk that I use. So, I decided, instead of taking the Highway, I would take the main thoroughfare road as there are a lot of WG on the way. I just thought I would share my experiences, and the range of answers I was given regarding GC purchases at WG:

Started off at the WG down the street: No problem getting 2x$500. In fact, cashier was friendly and transaction was easy. They didn't ask to see ID (I always hold my ID out there in preparation, but they didn't look at it to actually compare data with CC).

WG count:1
Total Balance: $1,000

WG around the corner - Cashier called Asst. Mgr. even though the register was about to let it go through. Asst. Mgr. said cash only. Manager was not around that day and Asst. said she was told "cash only." I buy them here all the time without major issue - although a supervisor is always around to tell the cashiers it is ok.

WG count:2
Total Balance: $1,000

Next WG on my way to WM - This is in a not-so-great neighborhood, and I was sure I would get denied as it seems to be the sketchier the neighborhood the more they crack down. The cashier said $500 only and then cash only. I asked to talk to the manager. The manager was an American asian guy who seemed too eloquent to be managing a WG in this area. He explained that the policy was "local to the store" and explained that it was an area of high shrinkage (i.e. loss/fraud). He told me if I could give him State ID he would ring it up for me. I asked if the limit was still 1x$500 and he said "Yes - that's actually Federal Law." I told him that I thing the Federal Law (if it exists) was on the Prepaid cards like Greendot only. He said "oh, huh...yeah, ok then...", and rang me up for 2x$500.

WG count:3
Total Balance: $2,000

Next WG - Cash only - didn't want to argue since the young kid I was talking to looked like he was dressed as at least an Asst. Mgr....seemed kind of ignorant, and the area was not good.

WG count:4
Total Balance: $2,000

Next WG - Manager was called over. He said ID needed to be checked and $500 limit. When I asked him why the limit he said it is law but that it is limited to $500 of each type of card. Meaning if I wanted to buy a $500 Visa, MP, and AMEX, that would be fine. So walked away with just $500.

WG count:5
Total Balance: $2,500

Next WG - Rang up no problem. The elderly woman cashier mumbled after she asked for my zip code, "Let's see if it works now." I asked her, "Why? did it say something/have an issue the first time?" (they always ask for my zip before going through...so I don't think it had even been processed once, but I was intrigued by her statement). She said in a quiet voice "Well...these are *supposed* to be cash only." I laughed and said "Every single WG up and down this area will tell you something else." She said that if it didn't go through she would have had to call the manager, but the register took it - so no problems. No ID check.

WG count:6
Total Balance: $3,500

Next WG - Was told $500 from the Mgr/Asst. Mgr. Was told it is "State Law." They checked ID suspiciously.

WG count:7
Total Balance: $4,000

Next and Last WG - Go there often and know they always limit to $500 - so I only attempted to ring out with that. No ID check.

WG count:8
Total Balance: $4,500

Now some of you may be like "wow - that's a lot of WG...how far did you drive?" With the exception of the first 2 which were within a 1 mile distance from my house, the rest were all within a 13-14 mile stretch of road between me and my destination.

So, while I am lucky to have so many relatively close by (this is Chicago and near West burbs), the point here is to once again highlight the discrepancy between stores.

There is obviously very little training or consistency between these locations. I think the best explanation was by the Mgr. at #3 who explained that due to theft/fraud they did indeed have the authority to make it a "manager discretion" thing. But, even he didn't seem well versed in what the actual laws, let alone WG policies are.

Last edited by BenH; Jul 15, 2013 at 10:25 am
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
How did it feel driving around with basically $4500 in cash on ya?

As for the quality WalMart time, which is great, how about the quality time WG and WM employees waste on these transactions?

If these transactions seem to take 5-10 minutes (and I recently wasted that much time at Target trying to get the AMEX card there), how can they make any money on them? Labor isn't cheap, and the manager's time even more expensive. Just so we can have our miles and eat them too
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
I often think about this when I am on runs. It definitely doesn't have the same feel as carrying cash. I would never leave 4K+ in cash in my car while I went into a store, but I do when I go on GC runs...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:53 pm

As for the quality WalMart time, which is great, how about the quality time WG and WM employees waste on these transactions?

If these transactions seem to take 5-10 minutes (and I recently wasted that much time at Target trying to get the AMEX card there), how can they make any money on them? Labor isn't cheap, and the manager's time even more expensive. Just so we can have our miles and eat them too
Well, I do this all the time...it isn't uncommon for me to have $3-4K in cards on me. Sure, I could get robbed...but it isn't likely just walking the 20 steps from the register to my car outside. I do however often think about the WG employees colluding against those customers on a regular schedule. For instance, one calling up her friend and saying "Yo - this guy comes in every Saturday between noon and one and buys $1000 in cards...wait for him in the alley" etc...

So, while I have all the reasonable cautions that anyone walking around with a few thousand might...I'm not really ever too concerned.

In terms of the labor....well firstly I use the kiosks at WM...so no one has labor for me there. Also, someone working at a register or at the MC is not busy 100% of the time usually. I often see the MC employees just standing there when I'm at the kiosk... or while I'm picking up GCs at WG the cashier is just waiting... They get paid the same amount/hour regardless of how many people they service.

On that note though I have a recent billing dispute with my cell phone provider. When you think about what you can do online these days for your phone plan, there is really very few reasons why you would ever need to call to talk to customer service. I bet that at least 25% of these calls (if not more) are for customers disputing billing or else trying to get something for "free." I often think that if these companies just let go 25% of their workforce and passed that savings onto consumers for lower overall bills, that people would have much less to complain about.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:14 pm

A lot lighter than when it was coin!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:48 pm

...bal!er, shot caller. 20-inch blades, on the impala...

Originally Posted by BenH
Well, I do this all the time...it isn't uncommon for me to have $3-4K in cards on me. Sure, I could get robbed...
Purely out of curiosity, what is your predicted location next time you have this much in cards on you. Be specific. Also, Year, make, model, and color of the car you'll be driving. Just curious.

Last edited by WhateverDude; Jul 15, 2013 at 5:28 pm
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
........, shot caller. 20-inch blades, on the impala...

Purely out of curiosity, what is your predicted location next time you have this much in cards on you. Be specific. Also, Year, make, model, and color of the car you'll be driving. Just curious.
Anytime you can quote a Lil Troy song, you have to do it. That took me back to college years.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Anytime you can quote a Lil Troy song, you have to do it. That took me back to college years.
Agreed. Interestingly, ...... is censored. Bal!er. ball3r. Why won't the nannyware let me quote Lil Troy accurately! It's an embarrassment to my Lil Troy quoting skillz.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
From Wikipedia:

"As of June 2013, Lil' Troy now works as a contractor for an Industrial Construction Company in Houston Texas."
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
From Wikipedia:

"As of June 2013, Lil' Troy now works as a contractor for an Industrial Construction Company in Houston Texas."
Gimme five minutes and I could edit it to say that he's the greatest rapper of all time and still living the big ba!ler, shot caller lifestyle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.